How can I damage my handgun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How can I damage my handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-aaron View Post
I just bought a new S&W .45 i was wondering if i could shoot a .40 out of it? Please get back to me if you know! Thanks
Did someone really ask that?

Back on topic...You have some really good advice given. There's really not anything to add. The best safety we have is between our ears. It might sound silly to hear "check and check again" But people get hurt or worse with "unloaded" weapons all the time. As to dry firing. Snap caps are just too cheap. It's a small price to pay to know you wont do anything to the weapon. The manual on yours says it's OK if I remember but I just don't feel comfortable doing it.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Did someone really ask that?

Back on topic...You have some really good advice given. There's really not anything to add. The best safety we have is between our ears. It might sound silly to hear "check and check again" But people get hurt or worse with "unloaded" weapons all the time. As to dry firing. Snap caps are just too cheap. It's a small price to pay to know you wont do anything to the weapon. The manual on yours says it's OK if I remember but I just don't feel comfortable doing it.
Yes someone did actually ask this and pissed off more than just myself.
As for dry firing, I own the Springfield XD40 and to field strip this model you have to dry fire it to get the slide off. I check and double check this thing b4 pulling that trigger....

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8696 Times on 3765 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Anybody ever hear the riddle- Why does it take 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

Being male, they will not stop to ask for directions.

Speaking of directions- almost EVERY new firearm comes with a set of directions. They are called a User's Manual. Yeah, I know- but sit down and read the thing anyway. Following the directions is even more productive (why didn't anyone tell me I should not load a round directly into the chamber?? BECAUSE THE BOOK SAID THAT!)

Seriously, post is not meant to be snide- but the basic care and operation is pretty well covered- things to keep from hurting your gun- or hurting yourself. Over time I have seen such things as running a blued revolver thru a dishwasher, using K-Y jelly (water based lube) on a firearm, trying to shoot 30-30 out of a 30-06, and loading a .50 cal muzzleloader with Bullseye pistol powder. Don't think ANY of those was in the owner's manual.

The main enemies of firearms are moisture, rust, liberals, and home gunsmiths.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Anybody ever hear the riddle- Why does it take 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

Being male, they will not stop to ask for directions.

Speaking of directions- almost EVERY new firearm comes with a set of directions. They are called a User's Manual. Yeah, I know- but sit down and read the thing anyway. Following the directions is even more productive (why didn't anyone tell me I should not load a round directly into the chamber?? BECAUSE THE BOOK SAID THAT!)

Seriously, post is not meant to be snide- but the basic care and operation is pretty well covered- things to keep from hurting your gun- or hurting yourself. Over time I have seen such things as running a blued revolver thru a dishwasher, using K-Y jelly (water based lube) on a firearm, trying to shoot 30-30 out of a 30-06, and loading a .50 cal muzzleloader with Bullseye pistol powder. Don't think ANY of those was in the owner's manual.

The main enemies of firearms are moisture, rust, liberals, and home gunsmiths.
Just wanted to say thanks for the good laugh. That was good and true. I learned in the military to always read the manual. Think i read the one i have for my xd40 twice and even got info from youtube for cleaning and maintenance. There are an abundance of info sources out there just gotta use them. Did i mention i love this site?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #15

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When required to pull the trigger to field strip a pistol, point the gun at a box of phone books, a sand bucket or other safe bullet catcher. That way, you can afford to make a mistake in checking the chamber.
It is best to handle a gun as you would a loaded gun ; That way, making sure it is not loaded is not so crucial.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #16

I always treat my weapon as if it were loaded because in fact when i carry it is locked and loaded. I feel it does no good to go out without one in the chamber, its only cool on TV to have to jack a round in the chamber if the weapon is drawn....good advice though on the phone books and sand bucket...

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
When required to pull the trigger to field strip a pistol, point the gun at a box of phone books, a sand bucket or other safe bullet catcher. That way, you can afford to make a mistake in checking the chamber.
Terrible advice IMHO. You can NEVER, EVER afford to make a mistake in checking the chamber. All guns must be treated as loaded at all times...

Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
That way, making sure it is not loaded is not so crucial.
Making sure it is not loaded when cleaning is always crutial.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
That way, making sure it is not loaded is not so crucial.
Rentacop, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you would return here to the forum and be more responsiable, cautious, realistic and factual in your posted opinions.

I was mistaken.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #20

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I apologize. Poor choice of words. I did not mean you should not check the gun properly. I meant that depending on that check is unwise. With the sand bucket, you are not handling the " unloaded " gun any differently than you would a "loaded" gun that you intended to fire into the sand bucket.

I agree with you guys and hope no one accidentally fires one into the bucket, as that would be proof of a safety lapse at minimum.

Sorry for the wrong impression.

" Anyone who makes an issue of whether a gun is loaded or not is playing the fool ".
-John Dean Cooper-

Last edited by Rentacop; 02-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.