Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   How can I damage my handgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/how-can-i-damage-my-handgun-23910/)

DoctorSig 02-26-2010 10:14 PM

How can I damage my handgun?

I've just purchased my first handgun Sig P229. This gun is also my first exposure to firearms. So please forgive the ignorance.

Is there anything I may do that will damage my firearm (e.g. dry firing, placing solvent within the mechanism of the gun, over/under lub, etc.)?

Thanks

Rentacop 02-27-2010 01:26 AM

DoctorSig :
Dry firing is considered safe for your gun but many shooters use snap caps to insure there can be no damage.

You could damage your gun if you fire it with any obstruction in the bore, such as gun grease. A light film of oil won't hurt it but it is best to run a dry patch through it before firing.

Most gun damage is from rust. Do not store your gun in a gun case for long periods. A wooden foot-locker is better. If you keep it in a safe, consider a heated rod dehumidifier. For long term storage, I would lube it generously inside and out with BreakFree or another product that is good against rust. In salty climates, you can use a hot locker equipped with a light bulb for dehumidifying the air.

If you carry the gun, wipe it frequently with a rag with a drop or so of oil on the rag and carry with a light film of oil in the bore.
You can use a silicone cloth to wipe off fingerprints without any oily mess.

To degrease an oily gun, use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber or equivalent aerosol spray.

Avoid damaging the barrel crown when cleaning the bore and never take a chance of dropping the gun on pavement.

Keep oil out of the magazine and off of your ammo.

gorknoids 02-27-2010 01:47 AM

When you think you have just the right amount of oil, remove half of it.

Glasshartt 02-27-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 237481)
When you think you have just the right amount of oil, remove half of it.

+1 too much oil is worse than too little

doctherock 02-27-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak-aaron (Post 237571)
I just bought a new S&W .45 i was wondering if i could shoot a .40 out of it? Please get back to me if you know! Thanks

please tell me you are pulling our chain.

IGETEVEN 02-27-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

I just bought a new S&W .45 i was wondering if i could shoot a .40 out of it? Please get back to me if you know! Thanks

And that's #3. Son, do you have a specific purpose here?

Jack

Gojubrian 02-27-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Enough already... :mad:

gorknoids 02-27-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt (Post 237529)
+1 too much oil is worse than too little

Plus, it tastes terrible and screws up your glasses!

gadrooning 02-27-2010 06:18 PM

Always physically look into the chamber. To many times people drop the magazine and rack the slide back and assume it is empty. Sometimes a live round will be stuck in the chamber. It happens unfortunitly.

doctherock 02-27-2010 07:13 PM

I want to share a few examples of seasoned veterans making simple mistakes with handguns due to complacency. Think it fits well here and may help. While in the service i had the pleasure of meeting my friends father who served in Operation Desert Storm. He was a seasoned veteran in the Army rangers, this however did not keep him from a complacent mistake, always check the chamber. He was cleaning his .45 which was loaded with Black Talon loads when the gun fired taking his ring finger knuckle completly out of his hand. Hindsight says in his words, "I should have checked the chamber".

Second example was that of an egotistical sheriffs deputy. While on the range making an ass of himself, down talking others and such, he mistakenly loaded 9mm rounds into his .40. Little mistake cost him major points, brought him down a notch or two and gave all the other folks at the range a good chuckle.

What I'm trying to convey here is pay attention, take your time, and always check the chamber, the life and body part you save may be your own!!