How to aim properly - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How to aim properly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 942 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Both eyes open here all the time; open, peep or optics.. The only time I will close one eye is to preserve a bit of night vision if the situation requires it.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Even when I use a scope I shoot with both eyes open. I would look like Elmer Fudd trying to acquire a target with one eye closed, even with a scope.

Which way did he go? Which way did he go?

Here is decent link by Glyn Bindon the founder of Trijicon.

http://youtu.be/NpGSKKgWWks
Mr bindon didnt invent the "bindon aiming concept" he just gave it a name, created optics which made it a lot easier, and marketed it.

Two eyes open has been the correct way to launch projectiles since the first hominid discovered that a handful of poop tossed on a buddy was funny... With optics it is how its been done if you want to survive dangerous game or as a sniper in war.

Trijicon makes it very very easy to do with their superb illuminated reticles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, tons of great information here. Looks like i'll be practicing with both eyes open. It does feel more comfortable and the depth perception is nice too.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1555 Times on 953 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I never miss the toilet bowl when I use both eyes. You should practice in the dark too. Sorry...I am a bit evil.

I shoot with both eyes open to be aware of surroundings. I do not see a difference in my shooting using one or two eyes. Plus, in a gun fight you will not shoot one eyed. Trust me.
You beat me to it Jager.

One open or both open makes no difference to me. Then again, I am blind in my right eye, so that could be a big part of it. When i could still use both eyes, I only dropped to one for precision shooting, or if I was shooting non dominant eye. Everything else was both eyes open for situational awareness and target aquisition.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

This depends on if you are using your sights or not. If you are not using your sights and are using natural body alignment you leave both eyes open and allow your focus to be on the target/threat.

If you are utilizing your sights to gain precision you would close an eye and allow you visual focus to be on the front sight.

If you need to gain precision and utilize your sights you should utilize them to the best you can. These situations are actually less common than not using your sights. The result of leaving both eyes open and focusing on the front sight is both eyes are pointed in a straight line at the front sight.

This would be the point where your vision crosses and the result is seeing 2 targets. The further away the target is the further the separation is. Many older ways of thinking taught to shoot at the middle of the 2 targets.

If you need to gain precision by using your sights gain every bit you can. Giving it back by shooting at the middle of the 2 targets is foolish.

As far as a gain in peripheral vision is concerned your eyes only focus on very slim margin of what is in front of them. Stop the known threat then assess your area to get a much better picture of your surroundings.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1504 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
You beat me to it Jager.

One open or both open makes no difference to me. Then again, I am blind in my right eye, so that could be a big part of it. When i could still use both eyes, I only dropped to one for precision shooting, or if I was shooting non dominant eye. Everything else was both eyes open for situational awareness and target aquisition.
I have lazy eye. But even my lazy eye does more than one might think. No, I can't clearly see a target with my lazy eye. But I can see the location of the target with my lazy eye.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #17

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

I have a lazy son.....and he aims/shoots pretty well

Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1870 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Which ever works best for YOU! Personally I am very left eye dominate so I close my right eye unless I am not using my sights (point shooting).

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-26-2014 at 01:40 PM.