How to aim a pistol and rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How to aim a pistol and rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default How to aim a pistol and rifle

Okay, so growing up I was never taught how to shoot or hunt. I pretty much had to learn everything on my own which in a way I am thankful for. However, as I have starting deer hunting more and shooting more I have a question about aiming. With a rifle outfitted with a scope, should your crosshairs be in focus with your target being fuzzy or should the target be clear with your crosshairs a little fuzzy? Also, with a pistol should you be focused on the front sight with the target being fuzzy or focus on the target with the front sight fuzzy? Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

I focus on the target. But I am old and the sights are fuzzy anyway!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Your focal plane should keep the sights clear (and let the target get fuzzy).

Be aware of the target and what is around it. Branches may deflect bullets.

Attend a Hunter Safety Course and ask about training. Normally there is an NRA instructor nearby and taking the hunter safety and firearms training is worth more than you making bad habits that need to get corrected later on.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2038 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

As a rule, focus on the front sight. The target may be a little fuzzy, but trust your aim, don't let your eye wander. With magnifying optics, both the reticle and the target should be sharp. There are separate controls allowing that in a good scope. With a basic scope, it is a compromise. Try and see that works best for you. In the end, the proof is in your score. If you good, nobody cares if you did it upside down.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A scope is not just a target magnifying device. The scope reduces the need for alignment of two sights. The scope is a single point aiming sight. Most scopes below 7 X for hunting are paralax free to a given distance. They can be focused to infinity by adjusting the eye piece. Hold the rifle up pointed to a clear blue sky. Adjust the eye piece "focus" until it is perfectly clear. You will be good to go.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Liked 1487 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
A scope is not just a target magnifying device. The scope reduces the need for alignment of two sights. The scope is a single point aiming sight. Most scopes below 7 X for hunting are paralax free to a given distance. They can be focused to infinity by adjusting the eye piece. Hold the rifle up pointed to a clear blue sky. Adjust the eye piece "focus" until it is perfectly clear. You will be good to go.
If you are shooting iron sights, you will be far better to focus on the front sight, if you don't have a clear, and correct front sight picture you probably won't be happy with your accuracy.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

+1 on focusing on the front sight.

That's how the Corps taught me, anyway. Works for me on any weapon.

The only optics I ever use is an ACOG on my M16, though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The men who organized the shooting for the Corp over 2 hundred year ago learn to shoot. They learned to shoot by knocking a squirrel off a limb with a flint lock rifle. It still works.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would first make sure you know your dominant eye. Cross Dominant shooters have problems, until they understand the difference.

For pistols, front sight target focus on anything less than 10 yards. Beyond that, and depending on your eyes, it will require a mix of front sight focus and target focus transitions to be accurate.

YMMV.

NRA Instructor
Texas CHL Instructor
U.S. Navy Veteran