How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 984 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I personally, have never felt the NEED to kill an animal until just recently when the gophers started really digging in our lawn. Seeing as how I'm not a hunter, and I don't like guts and such, and also because if I did kill them, my wife would have my nuts, I still haven't. Actually, I don't really agree with killing simply for entertainment. If you need to eat, or have a REALLY good reason, no issue.

I don't know why I feel the need to say this.......

Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #82
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I personally, have never felt the NEED to kill an animal until just recently when the gophers started really digging in our lawn. Seeing as how I'm not a hunter, and I don't like guts and such, and also because if I did kill them, my wife would have my nuts, I still haven't. Actually, I don't really agree with killing simply for entertainment. If you need to eat, or have a REALLY good reason, no issue.

I don't know why I feel the need to say this.......
No matter. You felt the need so you said it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #83

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

This thread looks like its gone off the rails and few are actually reading the whole thing. I'll try to summarize for the late comers.

The OP was interested in a defensive theory of trying to use the same strategy a rattlesnake uses as a defense. His basic idea was to use a blank round to make a loud warning against an aggressor before resorting to lethal force rounds.

Other posters chimed in. Some were interested, others thought it was a bad idea.

The OP bought some blanks to see if they would even cycle his semi-auto of possibly cause more problems by forcing a user to manually cycle the gun under stress. His blanks arrived. He tried them. They don't cycle.

This was never intended to be about defending against snakes, just about using a well known defensive tool that rattlesnakes employ.

Blanks would probably be a poor defense against snakes.

Buffalo hunting was an industry where they were hunted from trains and by large parties by the thousands. Similarities to people killing individual snakes that are troublesome to home, livestock, pets or family, is different.

But it seems like we could start separate threads on thoughts in defending against snakes and the ethics of mass scale hunting.

Hope this helps those who have come in late.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #84
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

For concealed carry, how about keeping a very hot blank round as your one in the pipe ammo?

Pros:

1: Makes Glock Leg (1911, any handgun) much less a threat to life and limb should the unfortunate event of a Negligent Discharge occur.

2: A warning shot, may very well stop the threat. One real round hitting an attacker, will only make the bad guy more angry that he got shot, and continue the attack. A blank (miss) may turn him around, thinking this guy is shooting at me, and I want to get away unhurt.

3: If the attack is too close and eminent for a warning shot, a blank round to the face will stop an attacker just as well as a bullet, and is just as likely to kill them as a real traditional bullet.

4: In court, after the attack, a warning blank, would be a good thing, showing deadly force was not your intent, you only wished to stop the attack.

Cons:

(you fill this part in)

(to let you know I am serous, I just ordered blanks http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/34618 )

"Used by military re-enactors, in ceremonies, for training exercises, in theatrical productions and hunting dog training, blank ammunition provides the report and realism of conventional ammunition without the projectile. "
Pros:

1. Horrible idea

2. Worse idea

3. Worst idea

4. Worstest idea EVER!

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #85

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring

Pros:

1. Horrible idea

2. Worse idea

3. Worst idea

4. Worstest idea EVER!