Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #61
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6642 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 13024

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee
He spilled off of his bike, screaming 'no, mine are blanks".
Must've been a speed talker.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #62

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

well, I wasn't as fast to the weaver back then, from ccw and i did have to thumb cock the hammer on the SA revolver. I was very fast, at age 14, from an openly worn rig, with an SA revolver, for a on handed hip shot.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #63

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

The best rattlesnake defense is watch where you put your feet and don't try to play with them; they don't have a sense of humor.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I keep a shot load first out with #11 Shot. I load them myself with Speer Shot Capsules. But the best way is to avoid the snakes, make noise so they will know you are coming and the will move or warn you before you get into striking distance.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1846 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I keep a shot load first out with #11 Shot. I load them myself with Speer Shot Capsules. But the best way is to avoid the snakes, make noise so they will know you are coming and the will move or warn you before you get into striking distance.
Interesting! I can tell you that dust (#11 shot) will not kill most the snakes I have encountered in the last 60 years, just piss them off!!!
You must have VERY small snakes in your 'neck of the woods'!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 155

#11 Shot works fine in a 6 1/2" .44

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #67

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270
I wouldn't trust how a snake is going to react come Hell or high-water!! I don't travel much in snake infested places but If I did I would invest about 400 in the the "judge" or the "governor" a hand pistol that shoots either the 45 or the 410 shot gun round!! And the snake can be compared to the insane BG, wanting to do harm for no real reason, or worse!! At least the snake is guarding its young or defending its territory. BG Has no valid reason to harm innocent people, that's why this whole defense tactic is ridiculous! Why start out with a blank or an empty chamber in your gun? allowing the BG to have a distinct advantage is nothing short of ridiculous!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #68

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Rattlesnakes do far more good than harm. If you see one, before you are bitten, just back off and let them go their own way. After you are bitten it is okay to shoot them, because after the effects of the bite, you will hate yourself for letting it get away. I will say though that it is hard to kill any snake with a pistol. The only way to get a quick kill is to take the head off and it is a small target. Rounds placed in the body of the snake really pisses them off.

In your yard is a different matter. These snakes tend to keep to the same hunting areas, and if they appear where you walk on a regular basis, then you might want to dispatch them. I live in the woods and am frequented by the snakes and I have killed some huge rattlers in my yard. As long as they don't hunt where I walk I leave them alone.

I have been bitten by a pit viper, although it was a copperhead, not a Rattler. It is an experience that is not, at all, worth the bragging rights, and should be avoided at all costs.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1846 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
#11 Shot works fine in a 6 1/2" .44
Blanks in a 44 would probably work!!! The muzzle blast is horrendous!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 566 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 3259

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

For concealed carry, how about keeping a very hot blank round as your one in the pipe ammo?

Pros:

1: Makes Glock Leg (1911, any handgun) much less a threat to life and limb should the unfortunate event of a Negligent Discharge occur.

2: A warning shot, may very well stop the threat. One real round hitting an attacker, will only make the bad guy more angry that he got shot, and continue the attack. A blank (miss) may turn him around, thinking this guy is shooting at me, and I want to get away unhurt.

3: If the attack is too close and eminent for a warning shot, a blank round to the face will stop an attacker just as well as a bullet, and is just as likely to kill them as a real traditional bullet.

4: In court, after the attack, a warning blank, would be a good thing, showing deadly force was not your intent, you only wished to stop the attack.

Cons:

(you fill this part in)

(to let you know I am serous, I just ordered blanks http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/34618 )

"Used by military re-enactors, in ceremonies, for training exercises, in theatrical productions and hunting dog training, blank ammunition provides the report and realism of conventional ammunition without the projectile. "
Have you ever shot a blank out of a semi-auto?

Won't work the way you think (blanks do not cycle the slide, unless the barrel is obstructed).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere