Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr
What happens when you encounter a really bad sob who ignores your warning blank. He may knife you while you're fiddling a jammed gun.

IMO: Too much is made of the consequences of self defense shootings. The vast majority of folks who kill scumbags in self defense situations are never tried in court. If you're in court before a jury of your peers a few unfavorable things have happened to you:

The police did not believe your story.
The prosecutor did not believe your story.
The grand jury did not believe your story.
There is a very good chance the jury will not believe your story.

Do everything possible to avoid situations that put your life or the lives of your loved ones in grave danger.
Know the self defense laws of your state.
Be able to recognize a legitimate threat to your life or the lives of family members.
If, God forbid, you must shoot; shoot to stop the threat. When the perp/s are no longer a threat, stop shooting and call 911.
If the threat retreats do not shoot unless the perp is armed with a gun. A perp retreating while armed with a gun can turn and kill you in a heartbeat.
Very good points!! Remember, your almost as worthless setting in jail as your are dead.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
What happens when you encounter a really bad sob who ignores your warning blank. He may knife you while you're fiddling a jammed gun.

IMO: Too much is made of the consequences of self defense shootings. The vast majority of folks who kill scumbags in self defense situations are never tried in court. If you're in court before a jury of your peers a few unfavorable things have happened to you:

The police did not believe your story.
The prosecutor did not believe your story.
The grand jury did not believe your story.
There is a very good chance the jury will not believe your story.

Do everything possible to avoid situations that put your life or the lives of your loved ones in grave danger.
Know the self defense laws of your state.
Be able to recognize a legitimate threat to your life or the lives of family members.
If, God forbid, you must shoot; shoot to stop the threat. When the perp/s are no longer a threat, stop shooting and call 911.
If the threat retreats do not shoot unless the perp is armed with a gun. A perp retreating while armed with a gun can turn and kill you in a heartbeat.
That last bit of advice can get you a life term in prison around here. It doesn't fit the imminent part of imminent death or great bodily harm. Take cover, bunker up, or run like he11, but once the threat is no longer imminent you need to cease fire and reload as soon as practical.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #53
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5666 Times on 2805 Posts
Likes Given: 6027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I was hovering on the like button all the way up to your last sentence. You have no idea how much I wish you hadn't put that in there. Other than that, it was a good post. Well done.
Ha, I just love Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cant help myself, such an awesome band. The remake of LS is a complete letdown just like most of the other old names that are just old names now cause those that made them great are dead (RIP Jimmy, Toy and Tommy, Janis, Elvis, Big Bopper, James Dean, Marlyn...).

The song "Saturday Night Special" was more about the realities of mixing a dangerous lifestyle with dangerous weapons. Ironically, it was living fast 23.5 hours a day that killed him and lots of other rising stars.

Its true that "Handguns were made for killin; they aint good for nothin else". Thats an undeniable fact and "If you drink your Whiskey, you just might even shoot yourself", another undeniable fact, guns and drunks dont often work well together.

My choice is to sip my Gentleman Jack at home and listen to my jams in the comfort of my castle on an excellent sound system (and I dont have to wait in line to get an overpriced beer or take a leak in a cesspool smelling pit). I dont do bars or clubs and try to stay away from folks I dont know if I can help it!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 07-12-2013 at 11:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 1399

Move to Delaware, no rattlers, just copperheads and water moccasins!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #55
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. To have your first round a blank, why don't you just carry and empty chamber and then when you are in immediate danger you can rack the slide back and chamber a round.

QFT and x100. If you don't have confidence in your ability to make a judgement and react to a threat, carry a club not a firearm.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #56

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62

QFT and x100. If you don't have confidence in your ability to make a judgement and react to a threat, carry a club not a firearm.
Well put.....

Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #57
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 224

update: blanks do not operate slide, as was the concern. Several of you were correct. Ammo was advertised to be of loud report. In fact, the sound was about half as loud as the Remington ammo I was shooting as a comparison.

It was kind of a Joe Biden idea anyway. Lol

Last edited by AR10; 07-21-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #58

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

It was kind of a Joe Biden idea anyway. Lol
Sorry to say but, Biden and gun related thoughts. That's probably a recipe for failure to begin with.

You tried something new at least.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1650 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 809

I thought this was about 'rattlesnakes'????
I have killed a A LOT of rattlers and copperheads over the years with a handgun. I started out using the factory 'snake loads' but found them to be inadequate for the BIG snakes. (#9 shot at 750 fps in the 38 sp) so I bought the shot caps and loaded my own. #7 1/2 shot 1200 fps! Problem solved!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #60

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I once, as a 17 year old, I had a guy firing blanks at me from his bicycle, as he rode by. I drew my 38 from under my shirt, thumbcocking the hammer with my weak side hand as I went to the Weaver. He spilled off of his bike, screaming 'no, mine are blanks". I said, "mine aint", and he replied' I know". Little one horse town in the midwest, in 1969. Nothing else came of it. He had heard that I ccw'd, and thought such a thing would be funny. Looking back on it, it was, sorta. :-) But it made me aware of what training can do for you. I should have sought cover, actually.