How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

And yes, I have confronted a fair number of rattlesnakes over the years. I use a stick to hold them down while I cut their head off with my pocketknife if they are in one of my buildings. If not I relocate them unharmed. Never shot one.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

I don't think he meant defense against rattle snakes, but rather a defense that represents the warning noise that a rattlesnake gives without having to bite if the threat yields.

Firing a blank round would be equivalent to a snake shaking the rattle.

I shoot rattlers too when they sound off, so my evaluation of the defense is maybe a bit biased in favor of the person warned over the noisy snake. Rattlesnakes don't scare me as much as cottonmouths and copperheads. Sneaky bastiages.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #43

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1Monster

Great response, but you could've stopped right here!
I know, but I'm used to having to explain myself. I'd've gotten crap from SOMEBODY for SOME random reason if I didn't, lol

Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #44
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
About 20 years ago I was carrying a 4" S&W .41 Mag (M-657) as a duty weapon.

This got me to thinking, could a "warning shot" have some validity? For LE, I believe the answer is yes, it COULD. As a result of this incident, we changed the policy to read "warning shots are generally not recommended".

For a civilian who probably will not be chasing bad guys around, warning shots are generally a bad idea. A firearm is a DEADLY weapon. Any civilian use in a non-deadly manner is very likely to open a can of worms that will just make a mess.
I do not advocate warning shots in any of my training, however, in extremely rare situations, I can see the validity of them as an option. However, Robo made an excellent distinction that has eluded the general public: Unlike the Holywood "B" movie westerns, a responsible warning shot is fired DOWNWARD, into the ground, not into the air. You must identify what that bullet will destroy, and you can't do that lobbing it 2 miles down range, like artillery. Also, fired downward, you don't give a prosecutor any extra grounds to hang you on - you controlled the gun and the discharge and knew exactly where it was going. Only caveat to that is the last state I lived in, it was illegal to use a deadly weapon to apply anything but deadly force: No warning shots, no shooting to wound, no signalling, no fire-starting - nothing. So check state and local laws before deciding if this might be an option.

I love that S&W 657, especially as a duty weapon - my chrome 6" is my favorite revolver!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #45

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Seriously? Am I the only one to see the problem here?

Officer: "What possible reason would you have to carry with a blank in the chamber?"

AR10: "Um, Well. It is my 'rattlesnake defense strategy' Officer."

Officer: "Damn. That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Tell me honestly, how often have you confronted a rattlesnake around here?"

AR10: "Umm (kicks dirt) Well, honestly? Never."

Officer: "You need to think up a new strategy."
I called it that, not to warn rattlesnakes, rattlesnakes warn us before they strike.

Why is it on forums, if someone disagrees with something, rather than stay on subject, debating the subject, one or more people start using words like stupid, moron, regard, dipstick, troll, etc.

Really hate it that grandparents quit teaching manners with Dial Soap.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #46

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

CTD shipped my blanks, will be interesting to see if they work the action in my 9mm`s.

Looking into this more, seems mine was not an original thought, several countries in Europe have gone in and out of favor with rubber bullets, teargas bullets, paper wads and such, nonlethal forms of ballistics.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy
needs more #9 shot

Become steel or get cut.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I called it that, not to warn rattlesnakes, rattlesnakes warn us before they strike.

Why is it on forums, if someone disagrees with something, rather than stay on subject, debating the subject, one or more people start using words like stupid, moron, regard, dipstick, troll, etc.

Really hate it that grandparents quit teaching manners with Dial Soap.
Very well then.

I think it is a bad idea. Every single time I have encountered a rattler and been "warned" by sound of its rattle, the rattler has ended up on the end of a tick, sometimes dead (as I described) or definitely relocated. In either case I daresay that the rattler did not benefit from its warnning me in any way.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2616 Times on 1442 Posts
Likes Given: 4148

What happens when you encounter a really bad sob who ignores your warning blank. He may knife you while you're fiddling a jammed gun.

IMO: Too much is made of the consequences of self defense shootings. The vast majority of folks who kill scumbags in self defense situations are never tried in court. If you're in court before a jury of your peers a few unfavorable things have happened to you:

The police did not believe your story.
The prosecutor did not believe your story.
The grand jury did not believe your story.
There is a very good chance the jury will not believe your story.

Do everything possible to avoid situations that put your life or the lives of your loved ones in grave danger.
Know the self defense laws of your state.
Be able to recognize a legitimate threat to your life or the lives of family members.
If, God forbid, you must shoot; shoot to stop the threat. When the perp/s are no longer a threat, stop shooting and call 911.
If the threat retreats do not shoot unless the perp is armed with a gun. A perp retreating while armed with a gun can turn and kill you in a heartbeat.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #50

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2094 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 6257

Wow. Really..... wow.
My post count just went up one.