How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you could defeat the cycling problem, "rat shot" would seem reasonable for the extra squeamish. The chambered shell in my bedside Mossy500 is just a birdshot/sport load; if I awaken to a bear, i'll just cycle that puppy on out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

a handgun is a DEADLY weapon, only to be used against deadly force or immenate serious bodily injury...............its not supposed to be fired at anyone(with ANY type ammo) unless they deserve killing.
deadly force should be met with deadly force............no warning shot........no blanks.........no snake shot.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. To have your first round a blank, why don't you just carry and empty chamber and then when you are in immediate danger you can rack the slide back and chamber a round.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #14

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

For concealed carry, how about keeping a very hot blank round as your one in the pipe ammo?

Pros:

1: Makes Glock Leg (1911, any handgun) much less a threat to life and limb should the unfortunate event of a Negligent Discharge occur.

2: A warning shot, may very well stop the threat. One real round hitting an attacker, will only make the bad guy more angry that he got shot, and continue the attack. A blank (miss) may turn him around, thinking this guy is shooting at me, and I want to get away unhurt.

3: If the attack is too close and eminent for a warning shot, a blank round to the face will stop an attacker just as well as a bullet, and is just as likely to kill them as a real traditional bullet.

4: In court, after the attack, a warning blank, would be a good thing, showing deadly force was not your intent, you only wished to stop the attack.

Cons:

(you fill this part in)

(to let you know I am serous, I just ordered blanks http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/34618 )

"Used by military re-enactors, in ceremonies, for training exercises, in theatrical productions and hunting dog training, blank ammunition provides the report and realism of conventional ammunition without the projectile. "
If in theory a loud noise would work, just yell real loud!! Why exposé yourself with a useless shot!! Makes no sense to me!! Some people are not wired to carry firearms!! Just because the law says we can, doesn't mean we are all wired to carry! And people that entertain the thought of using a blank in a chamber tells me they really aren't ready or "All In" in the event that they might have to take a life to save a life!! These facts hold true with an empty chamber carry as well in my opinion!!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. To have your first round a blank, why don't you just carry and empty chamber and then when you are in immediate danger you can rack the slide back and chamber a round.
So, am I to guess, you do not like the idea? Don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post

If in theory a loud noise would work, just yell real loud!! Why exposé yourself with a useless shot!! Makes no sense to me!! Some people are not wired to carry firearms!! Just because the law says we can, doesn't mean we are all wired to carry! And people that entertain the thought of using a blank in a chamber tells me they really aren't ready or "All In" in the event that they might have to take a life to save a life!! These facts hold true with an empty chamber carry as well in my opinion!!
Empty chamber carry is a bad idea, in your opinion. Tell me, are you a firearms safety trainer? Are you a LEO ? Or just a guy with opinions?

As a firearms instructor, my job is to keep my students safe. Out of harms way. That is for external threats, and internal ones as well.

This thread was placed here to brainstorm with gun owners, about one possibility of concealed carry I had never heard talked about anywhere.

Seatbelts were once ridiculed, in some circles, they still are.

Glock owners manual forbids clambering a round for concealed carry by retail purchasers of their product. Stern warning about doing so. Beretta also, likely other gun manufacturers as well.

Not saying a blank should be tossed in the air like a tap on the horn. Anytime a gun is pulled, that is pretty serious. Only thing more serious, would be a way to spare life and limb if at all possible.

I have concealed carried over thirty years. I have owned hundreds of firearms. Was an ffl dealer many years. I was shooting guns before I was ridding a bicycle. I am an NRA Endowment Life member, my wife also. Life GOA as well.

One thing I have never done is shoot someone. Hope I never do.

I think we as a group (gun owners) have seen way to many Rambo movies. Black hawk down, white house down, die hard, heat, Bonnie and Clyde. Lets not forget Duke, good ole John Wayne.

Life is not Hollywood.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So pretty much everyone thinks this is a bad idea, so you defend your idle thought with your credentials while pointing out the lack thereof among your peers?

Are we to believe that we should kowtow to your opinion because of your exemplary firearms ownership record? Tell me, as a firearms instructor, and with so much experience behind you, you should be very knowledgeable of the laws regarding discharging firearms in public and such, correct? Around my parts, you'd likely swing for popping off with a blank, at the very least with a DTP charge, I'm sure.

This doesn't sound so much like a brainstorming session, as it does a call to come to an accord on an opinion. An opinion, it seems, no one wants to come to accord with, but you must be right anyway. Right?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #18

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10

One thing I have never done is shoot someone. Hope I never do.

I think we as a group (gun owners) have seen way to many Rambo movies. Black hawk down, white house down, die hard, heat, Bonnie and Clyde. Lets not forget Duke, good ole John Wayne.

Life is not Hollywood.
Agreed, some act as though they are truly hoping to have a legal opportunity to kill another human being, chances are these ppl have no idea how it feels physically and emotionally to shoot at, shoot, shoot and wound or kill, be shot at or shot.. These are the type that may not need to carry guns, not the ones who look for ways besides killing for PD/SD/HD.
History is full of dead bad asses and jailed bad asses..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I see no practical reason to do this. If your firearm ends up in your hand there better a very real potential for the use of deadly force. If the potential develops into a reality I don't want to waste time or capacity on a round that won't do the job of protecting myself or my loved ones.

You do present a logical argument for your idea, and something similar has been kicked around for years concerning the sound of cocking a pump shotgun. It makes a lot of sense, and I can see where it could make a difference. I just don't see a blank round as a solution for me. When the law says "imminent" danger of death or great bodily harm I see it as I need to do everything possible to end the fight right this second or I'm going to die. With that in mind I lean towards defending myself with something I know should work over something that may or may not work.

As far as the blank being considered a warning shot is concerned I don't see it as being a problem, but that's just my opinion. No projectile is expelled. so unless you start a brush fire with it there is no danger to the public. Two things. Your local laws may not agree with my opinion. You also better be able to prove that your shot was a blank.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Nobody with a healthy brain wants to kill someone even if they are trying to kill them, its not something you can just "forgetaboutit" after the fact. The police carry tazers and plastic bullets to deal with non lethal offenders because they can, we on the other hand dont carry options, wear a flack vest or have the other backup a police officer has. While I can see where AR10 is coming from, I still have to disagree with the idea that something that makes you fear for life and limb deserves a warning. Criminals dont have a conscience, they only care about getting away with their crime, your warning shot wont be returned with blank fire by them if they have a gun, your getting lead in return.

Its also worthy of restating the fact that many weapons will not cycle without sufficient blowback from the compression created by the projectile as it travels down the barrel. Larger loads in the blank my negate that but you better test that before you have to try it in reality. Ive fired a 10,000 blanks if Ive fired one, mostly in m16's; they are inherently unreliable even with a good blank adapter; great for training but I would not stake my life on them ever.

In an SD scenario where imminent danger is unquestionable (it should be if your drawing your weapon), repelling the offender immediately and effectively is most important. You could aim for a non kill shot (better be really good), or toss non lethal yet impactful fodder that causes agony but not death (Rocksalt, darts), but throwing air at them seems to be more risky than "Im afraid for my life" demands.

Carrying is a right and a responsibility, I dont carry but if I did, I would have to accept the reality of what Im doing and the onerous responsibility of using it appropriately. After-all, as Lynard Skynard sang back in the day, "Handguns are made for killing, they aint no good for nothin else"...