Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

How About A Rattlesnake Defense Strategy?

For concealed carry, how about keeping a very hot blank round as your one in the pipe ammo?

Pros:

1: Makes Glock Leg (1911, any handgun) much less a threat to life and limb should the unfortunate event of a Negligent Discharge occur.

2: A warning shot, may very well stop the threat. One real round hitting an attacker, will only make the bad guy more angry that he got shot, and continue the attack. A blank (miss) may turn him around, thinking this guy is shooting at me, and I want to get away unhurt.

3: If the attack is too close and eminent for a warning shot, a blank round to the face will stop an attacker just as well as a bullet, and is just as likely to kill them as a real traditional bullet.

4: In court, after the attack, a warning blank, would be a good thing, showing deadly force was not your intent, you only wished to stop the attack.

Cons:

(you fill this part in)

(to let you know I am serous, I just ordered blanks http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/34618 )

"Used by military re-enactors, in ceremonies, for training exercises, in theatrical productions and hunting dog training, blank ammunition provides the report and realism of conventional ammunition without the projectile. "

Last edited by AR10; 07-09-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

All good points and valid, but I see this heading down the path of ifs and buts.. So I'll start, if you're caught or end up in a real exchange of gun Fire the the most important con will the seemingly wasted space in your mag and the critical 1st shot.. Interesting concept though.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5690 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Will those blanks cycle reliably in your carry piece? Would a "warning shot" be considered an "illegal discharge" in your area; you were not "in mortal fear of your attacker".

Maybe a first round loaded with pellets, but not a total blank...

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2291 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

If I have to pull out my firearm to stop a threat, then I want keep a promise that the firearm is loaded and not make a "blank" threat on my part

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Will those blanks cycle reliably in your carry piece? Would a "warning shot" be considered an "illegal discharge" in your area; you were not "in mortal fear of your attacker".

Maybe this is a grey area of the law?

Since it's a blank, nothing is actually being discharged...('cept for some hot gas)...I dunno...

Can definitely see the advantages in a trial that you mentioned, as we have seen several times in SD cases when JHP's are used, they are usually picked at by an overly enthusiastic DA, saying since the gun was loaded with them, you INTENDED to cause grave injury...and other such asshattery...

Interesting idea nonetheless...

I'm just gonna stick with what I have now...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

This sounds like a really bad Idea that could have terrible consequences for the one that carries the blanks. If you are unable to justify using deadly force in defense of yourself or a loved one, don't carry.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

For concealed carry, how about keeping a very hot blank round as your one in the pipe ammo?

Pros:

1: Makes Glock Leg (1911, any handgun) much less a threat to life and limb should the unfortunate event of a Negligent Discharge occur.
The only good point I see, but this can't be used as an excuse to become complacent with firearm safety. And if a person can't trust themselves with live ammo....
Quote:
2: A warning shot, may very well stop the threat. One real round hitting an attacker, will only make the bad guy more angry that he got shot, and continue the attack. A blank (miss) may turn him around, thinking this guy is shooting at me, and I want to get away unhurt.
Just makes no sense to me that a loud bang would deter someone, and a searing hot slug of metal slamming into someone's chest would infuriate them into further violence.

Quote:
3: If the attack is too close and eminent for a warning shot, a blank round to the face will stop an attacker just as well as a bullet, and is just as likely to kill them as a real traditional bullet.
The idea of planning for this outcome smacks of cruel intentions. No need to help prosecutors.

Quote:
4: In court, after the attack, a warning blank, would be a good thing, showing deadly force was not your intent, you only wished to stop the attack.
It's generally held, and required by law in many stand your ground states that you have to fear for your life to use a firearm in self defense. Using less than lethal force doesn't sound to me like a defender is truly in fear for their life and limbs. A good prosecutor would probably take that sentiment and run it all the way to ground.
Cons: interspersed. Just don't seem like a great idea to me.

Quote:

(to let you know I am serous, I just ordered blanks http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/34618 )

"Used by military re-enactors, in ceremonies, for training exercises, in theatrical productions and hunting dog training, blank ammunition provides the report and realism of conventional ammunition without the projectile. "

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Cycling would be my main concern.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2199 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Pros:
Cons:

(you fill this part in)

Cons:
Warning shot = bad idea. You risk any number of legal pitfalls. If you're justified in pulling the trigger at all, you're justified in using real ammo. Otherwise leave it in the holster.
I doubt blank ammo will cycle a normal semi-auto without modifications. But you're right, it will eliminate Glock leg.
Anti gun prosecutor asks "If one blank was a good idea, wouldn't more blanks be an even better idea? Why'd ya have to shoot mommy's little angel with real ammo?"
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4622 Times on 2312 Posts
Likes Given: 4756

I wouldnt feel comfortable with a blank, as Orange said, some semi's wont like that blank without an adapter and with an adapter, the second live round would be a bummer for you. Rock salt used to be the warning shot of choice at near range (right in the ass is a great deterrent) but its not great for weapons, works great in an old beater shotgun. Not sure how that would work in a pistol, its not lethal in most cases but it hurts like a Sonomabitch. Explain that to the ER technician, "I got rock salt in my butt,", next call is the PD.