House Clearing - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > House Clearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Clearing a house is probably the second most dangerous thing you can do.
Clearing a house by yourself is probably the most dangerous thing you can do!
You didn't mention anyone else living in the house, and if that's the case you should just sit tight. Hold your ground while you wait on the cavalry to arrive.
If you did have to go clearing the house, and that's a big IF and HAVE, it usually is safest to go S-L-O-W. As you pie around, scan from the floor up. You would be surprised how often the first body part that comes into view is feet. If you come to a point where slow won't do, and something must be done, a dynamic entry can sometimes work.
Get yourself an airsoft gun, some safety goggles, and a buddy. Then practice against each other. After you get popped a couple of times you will figure out what works and doesn't.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #12

Of course, when we teach these behavioral responses the mantra is always, STAY PUT! The best place to, 'hunker on down' is in a preselected, 'safe room'. Get down behind a large piece of furniture and GET ON YOUR CELL PHONE TO 911.

(It's best to speak; however, if all you do is simply to leave that phone turned on and connected to 911, the police dispatcher WILL be able to locate you by using nothing more than the transmission signal. Remember NOT to hang up until AFTER the police arrive.)

The recommended, 'survival kit' is (1) a reliable firearm whose operation you are familiar with as well as a couple of reloads, (2) a fully charged cell phone, (3) a powerful flashlight that can be operated with one hand, (3) and a key to your entry door attached to a large bright key fob.

Your, 'safe room' should have a window. Ideally that window should allow you to communicate with anyone arriving at the house; you will be able to throw your house key out of it; and that key will be able to be easily found by the arriving police.

If worse comes to worse, you might even be able to use that window for quick egress from the building - Just remember that, 'quick egress' also means, 'easy access' as well as the possibility of being too easily seen; so keep that window closed and covered until you need to open it.

As much as I dislike restating this last part, I'm bound by course requirements to tell you that the (largely) agreed self-defense reaction is to loudly call out a warning. Something to the effect of: 'Stop!' 'I have a gun; and I'm ready to use it!' 'The police have been called and are on the way!' 'Leave now!' 'Leave now!'

Me? I wouldn't, personally, behave this way; but, someone with less training or experience probably should. OK.

Last edited by G21.45; 09-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their $0.10.

I'm a city dwelling cat person myself, and don't have the time and dedication for a new pet to be house-broken, or I might just go buy two!

I have had a few bumps in the night that have given that extra jolt of adrenaline. What I ended up doing with both was first freezing in place and listening (I have a very well trained sense of hearing being a musician by trade, and you can hear a gnat fart in my house). After the initial shock wore off, I gained enough sense to grab my weapon and chamber a round. Then there was more waiting to hear anything.

After waiting I decided to venture out and see what was going on. Once it was just a ghost (or a figment of my imagination) and the other was a mirror that had fallen off the wall and shattered, creating a HUGE bang in the middle of the night.

Usually there is no one else in the house. Sometimes my mother visits, and her bedroom is upstairs. So when she does visit, there would be someone to worry about (my girl sleeps with me, so no need to go rescuing her).

I'll keep the cell phone and hunkering down ideas to heart, and see what develops from there.

Again, thanks!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just speaking for myself. If I know that someone has invaded my home, I feel that my specific situation would be better served if I stay where I am and prepare to deal with a threat when it gets to where I am. I feel that running around the house alone looking for the bad guys is just going to remove any advantage tactical advantage I had to begin with.