Home Storage - loaded or no? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Home Storage - loaded or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

All good points to consider. As a family man, home invasion is my biggest fear as well. We had an alarm system installed about a year ago for peace of mind but having the .45 around makes me feel much better. If, God forbid, I ever need to reach into the GunVault to defend my home, I just want it to be done as safely and efficiently as possible. I also just don't want storage to be a safety issue and the GunVault helps with that.

My brother-in-law says he kept his loaded, so I guess I'll just have to figure out what I'm most comfortable with.

Thanks all.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
My big fear being a home invasion, about the only time I don't have a loaded handgun on me is when I'm in the shower
You mean you don't have one of these fancy, high speed, waterproof setups when showering Gork?
gun-shower.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I keep my 1911 loaded mag in, one in chamber uncocked.
All I have to do in the dark is cock the hammer and go.
However, I keep it in a GUN VAULT THAT has a four finger touch pad on the top that can be programmed to any 4 touch sequence such as 1234 4321 3421 etc. I can locate the safe in my closet in the dark, align my hand on the finger groves push the sequence, and presto the door pops down, a light comes on and I'm armed.
Keeping one in the chamber allows for no racking etc
After a few drills in the dark I can be fully armed in less than a minute. My wife also does not have to rack the slide, fiddle with safeties etc as the 1911 has the grip safety and un-cocked hammer I feel this method is about as fast as a revolver
Just what I do
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

My Ruger 9mm is in a small safe in the bedroom with one up the pipe, my .22 revolver the wife likes is loaded and in the back of the amoire within her reach but out of sight and out of reach of a 5 year old who visits sometimes. My "little one" is 14 and shoots.

Now I am just not sure what to do with the new 18.5" barrel HD pump. Kinda wish it would recognize DNA so I could keep it loaded and beside the bed but no one else could fire it.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wouldn't it be great if some one would make a pistol like magazine for a pump..
I know years back the made a magazine bolt action shotgun.
That would solve the security problem and would allow quick reloading.
There must be a reason???
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
You mean you don't have one of these fancy, high speed, waterproof setups when showering Gork?
DAMN! And I told her all I wanted for Christmas was a new Carhartt!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #17

One important thing is let your kids get familiar with your gun. My dad never locked a gun up as we were growing up but he took us shooting and showed us where his guns were and the importance of safety. I had my own at 8, a 20 ga shotgun and a .25 pistol. I keep most of my guns unloaded and in a safe but i have a couple loaded and available but my girls a now old enough to use them and be safe. You don't want your kids to stumble across them and be facinated with no idea how to be safe.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #18

The only thing i have in the safe is important papers.My only 2 guns are always with me.The shiny shotgun under the bed,and the 1911 in a drawer right by my head.I keep them loaded,safety on 24/7.I dont have any kids though.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
I keep my 1911 loaded mag in, one in chamber uncocked.
All I have to do in the dark is cock the hammer and go.
However, I keep it in a GUN VAULT THAT has a four finger touch pad on the top that can be programmed to any 4 touch sequence such as 1234 4321 3421 etc. I can locate the safe in my closet in the dark, align my hand on the finger groves push the sequence, and presto the door pops down, a light comes on and I'm armed.
Keeping one in the chamber allows for no racking etc
After a few drills in the dark I can be fully armed in less than a minute. My wife also does not have to rack the slide, fiddle with safeties etc as the 1911 has the grip safety and un-cocked hammer I feel this method is about as fast as a revolver
Just what I do
This is probably the closest to my situation, with the GunVault and all. Cock the hammer and go seems easy. Besides that -- and the safety, of course -- I wouldn't want to fumble with the slide, especially if I was trying to stay quiet.

Bottom line: I will be prepared, but I hope I never have to go out in the dark with this thing.

Bonus question: Anyone here ever had to go clear the house in the middle of the night?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I had to clear my daughters house one evening. She and the lady next door both reported a prowler to 911. My SIL was out of town and she had 2 small children at the time. We set up a question code so I would know if she was OK. I instructed her to go to her bedroom with the kids and get behind the bed with her 9mm. She knows how to use it too. I entered and let her know I was there and not the prowler. I asked the question and got the correct response so I knew the prowler was not with her. I cleared all the rooms and told her it was safe. I did not open her door. She came out with the 9mm at the ready.
2 women at home called in a prowler and the police took almost an hour to get there. One officer and he rang the door bell with his weapon holstered. If the prowler had been inside and armed, the officer would not have stood a chance. We knew police response was poor or I would have waited for the officer and let him in. This was not rural just spread thin.
My house is alarmed. If I knew a prowler was inside, I would not clear the house. I would call for the police in case the alarm had been disabled. I have outside access from my bedroom and I know we would get more than 1 officer quickley.