Home Storage - loaded or no?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Home Storage - loaded or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home Storage - loaded or no?

I know that the b&w safety "rule" on home gun storage is to store the gun and ammo in separate places. In general, I can see how that makes sense.

I just received a gun as a gift -- a S&W .4506 -- and have taken up shooting as a hobby. I'm still very green, obviously. But I have also wanted a gun for a while for home defense. It seems to me that if you have an intruder in your home, having the ammo and gun in different spots is just pointless.

So I am wondering how others who own a gun safe -- I have a simple GVB-1000 -- handle this for home defense? Do you keep a full clip in your safe with the gun for a quick load? Do you keep the gun loaded in the safe? Or do you really keep it separate from the ammo?

Advice? Suggestions?

(I am married with two small daughters, FYI...)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10981 Times on 4757 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

Most of my firearms (that were not lost in that HORRIBLE boating accident) are stored empty in the safes. Firearms that I keep for immediate use are loaded, but secured under lock when not on my person. With munchkins around, you might consider a handgun safe for a single handgun. That will permit you to store a loaded, ready for use firearm where small people will not have access to it.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The GVB 1000 is a good way to secure your firearm whether it is loaded or not. The Catch-22 here is it appears you are acting as a responsible firearm owner by locking your gun up. Unsecured firearms in the home are an accident waiting to happen as they can fall into the wrong hands and be used against your neighbor or worse yet, your family.

Now let's listen to what the cowboys have to say, Ye-ha.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the key is your definition.... Safety rules say to keep your handgun unloaded until it's ready to use. In my opinion, a home defense handgun should always be ready to use, thus loaded. If not on your person, then safely away from the little ones, but as accessible as possible. Locked in a safe in the den, is of little use if somebody breaks in the front door..... you get the idea. You gotta figure out what works best for you, in your house.

Some of my toys

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I keep a Glock next to my bed with the magazine loaded but not chambered. I'm about to move to a handgun safe though because of the little one.

I think you will find the common response to be that people keep multiple guns loaded and ready to go. My reasoning, http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-many-firearms-defense-your-house-34036/

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #6

All good tips. I like the idea of keeping it loaded but not chambered. That would give me peace of mind knowing that it's ready with a simple pull of the slide and a flick of the safety. The idea of having a full mag NEXT to the gun in the safe is
ideal, I think, but having to reach into the safe twice could cost you a second that you don't have.

Hmm...

So mag in, safety on, no round chambered.

Thoughts?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Thats how I roll, Mag in, nothing in the chamber. Also keep two other loaded mags next to it. When Im out its always with me.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #8

Well, I'm not to the carry concealed stage of my gun life just yet. haha Someday maybe...

But thanks for all the great advice, guys. Gonna have to educate the wife on that arrangement, too, for when I'm not around.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 498 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

"If your gun isn't loaded, you may as well have a rock." Dan Renfro

Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My big fear being a home invasion, about the only time I don't have a loaded handgun on me is when I'm in the shower or sleeping. Then it's always within easy reach. I trust in the safety features designed into my normal carry piece, so I feel it would be more dangerous to have to rack the slide before drawing a bead than to have a round in the chamber full-time. Very rarely do criminals call ahead, so I choose to be prepared. That's just me.