Home Defense Question - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Home Defense Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

Its very rare. If i didn't feel safe in my own house i would move. Having a firearm in the house OK carrying it around the house no i will take my chances. If someone is that concerned about something bad happening why get out of bed you could trip and hurt yourself.
This is quite simply not true.

The following statistics were taken from NCVS (National Victimization Data Survey) and UCS (Uniform Crime Reports) which are both managed by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations).

The FBI Says:

Every 12 seconds a home is invaded
There are app. 6,646 home invasions every day
There are over 9,589 burglaries every day or over 3.5 million per year
13% of all homes are burglarized per year
19.2% of rental properties are burglarized per year
85% of all break-ins are through the door
67% of all burglaries involved forcible entry
38% of all assaults occur during a home invasion
60% of all rapes occur during a home invasion
70% of burglaries involve residential properties

There is a little over a 1 in 10 chance that your home will be invaded or burglarized this year.

There is a 69% chance that if your home is broken into it will be during a home invasion.

Burglaries usually happen between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Home Invasions usually happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Less than 13% of burglars and home invaders are ever apprehended.

Here is some information I have gleaned myself while talking to guys we've arrested for these crimes.

Burglars are trying to get in and out when no one is home.

Home invaders don't care if someone is home, they expect it. In fact in the case of rapists and sociopaths, they WANT someone home.

Some home invaders have told me that they avoid homes where it is obvious that a "crazy white boy with guns and s*** live."

Some also avoid the home of a person with a reputation in the community of being current or ex military or law enforcement. Particularly if it is known that "that boy is a killer. It's they job. I don't f*** with killers."

(And these direct quotes are from more than one of them.)

Also gratifying to me was "you a country boy huh? I wouldn't break into your house if you were NOT home. Your old lady probably shoots at everything."

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8815 Times on 5098 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
This is quite simply not true.

The following statistics were taken from NCVS (National Victimization Data Survey) and UCS (Uniform Crime Reports) which are both managed by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations).

The FBI Says:

Every 12 seconds a home is invaded
There are app. 6,646 home invasions every day
There are over 9,589 burglaries every day or over 3.5 million per year
13% of all homes are burglarized per year
19.2% of rental properties are burglarized per year
85% of all break-ins are through the door
67% of all burglaries involved forcible entry
38% of all assaults occur during a home invasion
60% of all rapes occur during a home invasion
70% of burglaries involve residential properties

There is a little over a 1 in 10 chance that your home will be invaded or burglarized this year.

There is a 69% chance that if your home is broken into it will be during a home invasion.

Burglaries usually happen between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Home Invasions usually happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Less than 13% of burglars and home invaders are ever apprehended.
These data are somewhat misleading in that they don't take into account the overall community or neighborhood. In my neighborhood we have had only a couple of burglaries in a dozen years and only one home invasion (tragically, that ended in the death of an elderly man, but also generated an arrest of one suspect and the other one was killed by police when they were trying to apprehend him). On the other hand if a person lives in a densely populated area where crime is high the likelihood of becoming a victim of home invasion or burglary is naturally going to be higher.

Quote:
Here is some information I have gleaned myself while talking to guys we've arrested for these crimes.

Burglars are trying to get in and out when no one is home.

Home invaders don't care if someone is home, they expect it. In fact in the case of rapists and sociopaths, they WANT someone home.

Some home invaders have told me that they avoid homes where it is obvious that a "crazy white boy with guns and s*** live."

Some also avoid the home of a person with a reputation in the community of being current or ex military or law enforcement. Particularly if it is known that "that boy is a killer. It's they job. I don't f*** with killers."

(And these direct quotes are from more than one of them.)

Also gratifying to me was "you a country boy huh? I wouldn't break into your house if you were NOT home. Your old lady probably shoots at everything."
Yup. This is true. it is also true that quite frequently the bad guys are from out of the area so they don't hear the local rumors about that crazy cracker with a military grade arsenal and a million rounds of ammo stored up. That's why my yard is covered in empty brass and shot-up targets.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

These data are somewhat misleading in that they don't take into account the overall community or neighborhood. In my neighborhood we have had only a couple of burglaries in a dozen years and only one home invasion (tragically, that ended in the death of an elderly man, but also generated an arrest of one suspect and the other one was killed by police when they were trying to apprehend him). On the other hand if a person lives in a densely populated area where crime is high the likelihood of becoming a victim of home invasion or burglary is naturally going to be higher.
Maybe, I wouldnt call them misleading. They are national statistics, everybody knows that means collected over the entire country and not a specific neighborhood.

Also, just because you don't hear about it or it doesn't make the news in your community doesn't mean it isn't happening. Take a look at the crime statistics your local sheriffs office posts. I'll bet you'll be surprised. I live in a small town and commute 30-45 minutes to work every day. I was shocked at the amount of various crimes that happen in my little country town.

Burglary/home invasion is still not "very rare" and its still a good idea to be prepared for a home invasion.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
jgoertz Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

I can relate! There is a few 'wild ones' here but when I was talking to one of them several years ago (they know I am a retired cop and now work with the SO) I made the comment that I was too old to be fighting with those crazy young bucks so I was just going to shoot first and take my chances with the law if I had a problem with any of them!
It worked, when I am around them now they don't 'bow up' like they use to and they are courteous and respectful, go figure!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
If a criminal wants to get in your house, absent burglar bars and security doors that cost an arm and a leg and make your home look like a prison, you aren't going to stop them.

It doesn't take much to attack a solid core or even steel door. It takes even less to bust open a window

I can get in just about any door anywhere with a tire tool and a sledgehammer. For a lot of doors the only tool i need is my boot. Even with the deadbolt installed.

You're attacking the hardware and doorframe, not the door itself. And it doesn't take much force to split that wooden doorframe wide open.

And even burglar bars and a security door can't stand up to a flatbar, tow strap and a truck.

In fact recently our SWAT team has been having more problems with the flimsy trailer doors than anything else because they're so flimsy they absorb the force applied and sort of just bounce back into place. They're retrofitting a trailer door into the shoot house for everybody to practice on.

You're much better off spending your budget on firearms and a good home security system that is monitored (not ADT though) than thinking you're going to build some sort of fortress that a criminal will be unable to penetrate.
What I tried to say and what you read apparently didn't match. Let me explain what I felt was the key part.

Quote:
With adequate passive defense you will have more than enough time to get over the panic stage and prepare for active defense.
You want to make it difficult so there is no way for someone to get in without making noise. If the intruder can shim your front door it almost guarantees a silent entry and a big surprise for the homeowner. If they have to fight their way in you should be able to hear them, wake up, and prepare.

If somebody wants to get in your house badly enough, they will get in your house. You can't stop them, even with burglar bars. In order for you to have time to prepare for the confrontation it is imperative that they make noise on the way in.

As far as your monitored alarm system, that should work if you're not home, but what good is it if you are home? About the same as a good, solid door. Noise is noise, and my way doesn't cost you a monthly monitoring fee.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #36

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I live in ca and my co-worker does at home. He said just as long as your on your own property and can possess a firearm legally.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHands View Post
I live in ca and my co-worker does at home. He said just as long as your on your own property and can possess a firearm legally.
The Constitution says otherwise, but we have an uphill fight to win BACK our RIGHTS!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

As far as your monitored alarm system, that should work if you're not home, but what good is it if you are home? About the same as a good, solid door. Noise is noise, and my way doesn't cost you a monthly monitoring fee.
Statistically between the hours of 6pm and 6am when people are usually home you are more likely to be dealing with a home invader. They make a lot of noise coming in. They don't typically bother with flatbars and screwdrivers and make a soft entry. They usually try to kick the door in.

And that door doesn't automatically notify the cops if you don't answer your phone. Nor does it emit an audible tone loud enough to wake the entire house up and sometimes the neighbors too.

A good locally monitored alarm system immediately lets the BG know the police are on the way and in more than one of the instances I've responded to, the siren has been enough to scare the BG away without the homeowner doing anything else. They can also let the police know the point of entry and which motion detectors are going off, which gives us vital information about how to respond tactically.

The alarm system gives an audible tone regardless of the point of entry and amount of noise made. And with a panel in your bedroom, you can look on the readout and see which sensors are going off so you immediately know which area of the house to respond to.

I would spend my money on an alarm system before I'd buy a new door.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-02-2013 at 05:11 PM.