Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Home Defense Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

Why would you want to. ? Its bad if someone feels they can't relax in their own house without carrying a firearm.
It's not about if you don't feel safe in your home. People still break in while your there. I always carry my CCW from the moment I get out of bed, until I go to bed. There is always a gun within 20 feet on me in my house. If your home is your castle, then why would you NOT want to protect it?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1813 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its very rare. If i didn't feel safe in my own house i would move. Having a firearm in the house OK carrying it around the house no i will take my chances. If someone is that concerned about something bad happening why get out of bed you could trip and hurt yourself.
It is not as rare as you would like to think. Criminals are getting more brazen. If someone kicks down your door your first reaction could well be panic or disbelief and that wastes time.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

I do not carry while in my house, but I do have them strategically placed through out the house just in case someone on the outside decides to do something stupid.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6956 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
Can you carry a firearm loaded with in your home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I would bet that "in your home" means inside your house behind closed doors. Sadly, I doubt one is allowed to carry while mowing the lawn on your own property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
You can if you live in Indiana.
You can carry in your home and on your property here in Illinois, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Does it have to be lit?

Well, since the question DID arise from California...............
Hahahaha...........Robo and I deleted those posts.........you respond to them. Way to go, C3!!

The only reason I didn't delete yours is you didn't quote the whole post. Luv ya, C3.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #25

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALfiremedic1 View Post
It's not about if you don't feel safe in your home. People still break in while your there. I always carry my CCW from the moment I get out of bed, until I go to bed. There is always a gun within 20 feet on me in my house. If your home is your castle, then why would you NOT want to protect it?
I put mine on ( SS 6906 S&W left arm pit ) when I get dressed and take it off when I get ready for bed. And that is with at least 4 or 5 grown German Shepherds ( we raise Silver Sables ) roaming the area.

When you get something that is comfortable you just don't worry about removing it.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 537 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 2355

Default Carry??

I live just south east of los angeles.
Last year I was out in my garage,
late one night,
waiting for the phone company.
I saw a black and white stop in my drive way.
Two Deputys came down the drive way,
I walked up to greet them.
After greetings were exchanged,
they asked if I had seen anyone run through my yard.
I said no,
but I had been in and out of the house a few times,
they asked if I minded if they took a look in the back.
I of course said yes go ahead,
BUT,
I turned my back to them and raised my shirt showing them
I was carrying.
The response,
"OK
You should be carrying"
They told me to wait in the garage while they took a look.
didnt find the guy
they thanked me and left.
Now they had no problem with me being armed,
But,
it was late night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
Can you carry a firearm loaded with in your home?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
It is not as rare as you would like to think. Criminals are getting more brazen. If someone kicks down your door your first reaction could well be panic or disbelief and that wastes time.
The first line of self-defense is avoidance. If your doors are so weak that they can easily be kicked in, you need to spend less on guns and more on fortifying your home. With adequate passive defense you will have more than enough time to get over the panic stage and prepare for active defense.

Quote:
you need to spend less on guns
Yeah, I know. I can't believe I said that, either.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default There was a home invasion robbery 6 houses down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You have never heard of a "Home Invasion Robbery"? These happen all the time in GB. As things get nastier, this may be the ONLY way to "relax".
That has prompted me to purchase a shotgun which has opened the door or sparked an interest in firearms and home protection… I have in turn purchased an XD9 and I have both weapons close by and the shotty is loaded not one not in chamber as well as the XD mag sits next to it.

Bedside--- mossberg 500 w/00 buckshot and PDX
Night Stand --- Springfield XD 9mm

Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1813 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Most people do not understand the need for defense until they have been the victim of a violent crime or have been in close proximity to one. The "It cant happen to me" goes out the window pretty quickly and is replaced by "I wont let it happen again." Only a fool depends on the police and the law to protect them and their family. The old saying "when seconds count the police are minutes away" is very true. I have been the intended victim of violent crime and I am always prepared for another encounter.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

The first line of self-defense is avoidance. If your doors are so weak that they can easily be kicked in, you need to spend less on guns and more on fortifying your home. With adequate passive defense you will have more than enough time to get over the panic stage and prepare for active defense.

Yeah, I know. I can't believe I said that, either.
If a criminal wants to get in your house, absent burglar bars and security doors that cost an arm and a leg and make your home look like a prison, you aren't going to stop them.

It doesn't take much to attack a solid core or even steel door. It takes even less to bust open a window

I can get in just about any door anywhere with a tire tool and a sledgehammer. For a lot of doors the only tool i need is my boot. Even with the deadbolt installed.

You're attacking the hardware and doorframe, not the door itself. And it doesn't take much force to split that wooden doorframe wide open.

And even burglar bars and a security door can't stand up to a flatbar, tow strap and a truck.

In fact recently our SWAT team has been having more problems with the flimsy trailer doors than anything else because they're so flimsy they absorb the force applied and sort of just bounce back into place. They're retrofitting a trailer door into the shoot house for everybody to practice on.

You're much better off spending your budget on firearms and a good home security system that is monitored (not ADT though) than thinking you're going to build some sort of fortress that a criminal will be unable to penetrate.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."