Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Help to stop my shaking and trigger pull failing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Help to stop my shaking and trigger pull failing

So whenever I shoot I notice that I shake absurdly more than the average person (because of a condition I have) and was wondering if there is any way to settle it down or something to put between me and the rifle (Thicker clothes?). Also I noticed that when I hold my breath to squeeze the trigger I pull it so slowly that by the time the gun goes off I am out of breath but if I squeeze it any faster it seems to shake too much any way to fix this or is it just natural. I only notice this problem when I am shooting my rifle and not my handgun.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You are new to firearms. Get some training before all these bad habits become established in your shooting practise.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #3

I am fairly new but I have been shooting regularly for around three years now and I have taken classes. (Sorry I did not mention that earlier) I would just like to know if there are any tips I could get without having to take anymroe classes or having someone with me, because sadly I am the best rifle shooter I know.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

Liked 1654 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Are you shaking because of anticipation of the recoil? What caliber of rifle are you shooting? Is the trigger broken in yet? Do not dry fire a 22. If your rifle is not a 22 or any other rim fire, then dry firing practice may help you to calm down a little. Check your rifle to make sure it is empty. Then check it again. Then a third time just to be sure. Now, pick a spot on the wall in your house or garage. Maybe a knot in your fence. (Don't scare your neighbors) Then just keep dryfiring. Watch the spot in your sights. try to hear the click while you can see the target in your sights. Practice makes perfect.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #5

It's a .22 mag, not LR but still the recoil is so little that it doesn't matter. Yes the trigger is broken in. So is practice/ trial and error the only way to fix this?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I must say this is one strange post.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I try to pull the trigger when I've completely exhaled. It's not quite like holding your breath, just take and extra second before you inhale. You can practice sitting on the couch. You can practice with your pistol. I know you said you didn't have the problem with your pistol, but any trigger time will help. I would recommend some snap caps. (If it's center fire.) They'll protect your firing pin. Hope this helps!

Wait, was this thing on?

Last edited by theropinfool; 02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Might I suggest that you are doing two things causing you to move excessively. One could be that you are griping your firearms way too tight. We all move to some extent as we must breath, we have a pulse. Fighting our natural movement will cause greater anxiousness. Try these, one get a secure, but relaxed grip on your weapon. Two, don't get too much finger on the trigger. You should use the middle of your index fingers first pad. When you press the trigger, don't curl you entire trigger finger, you have three sections the tip, and middle section. You should bend you finger at the second section which will insure a straight back trigger press. Thirdly, don't hold your breath throughout the shot. Take a full breath as you settle in, exhale, take a second breath exhaling one half you get a good sight picture, slowly press the trigger while keeping the sight on the target. It helps, although you can't see it, to focus on the sight to the point that you are attempting to see the bullet strike the target through your sights. You must mentally and physically get to the point that the firearm is a part of you, and not some foreign object.

Physical strength training is a good thing, running, old fashion dumbbells, power bands allow for strength training while watching T.V. both will help with upper body strength that will also help your shooting. Whenever possible, use a rest to steady your firearm.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with dry firing practice. Get a few snap caps and get started.

You might want to try some breathing exercises before firing the rifle. Take a full breath in slowly through your nose and let it out the same, completely. Fill your lungs and empty them. Do this several times. This is part of a relaxation exercise that works. If while set to aim you find yourself tensing up, do exactly this a couple times before pulling the trigger. Be conscious of being tense in your arms and shoulders after you take up your aiming position. The more you think about being tense, the more tense you will be once you realize that it is happening. Tell yourself to relax. The more you think about how tense you may be, the more frustrated you get and it creates a vicious circle.

If you have a medical issue that causes tremors, you might want to speak to your doctor about what you can do to help combat this medically, if you haven't done this already. I have an exercise on relaxation given me by a psychologist that is fairly effective on CD. I'd be glad to burn you a copy and mail it to you if it may help. What you would do is to put it in to your computer or player and take some time to listen and follow it before you go shooting.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

Thanks for all the tips and responses everyone.