Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > the heat of battle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Having read none of the replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
but what do you guys think about defending yourself with a loaded weapon ?
I think it's way more effective than doing so with an unloaded one .

Quote:
but i could personally never reconcile shooting someone in the head for a home invasion or assualt, that's a killing that would haunt me to my grave.
That is fine, and is something every individual should know about him- or herself. But, there are people who could, and that's fine too.

Quote:
what do you think is excessive ?
thanks - H.T. .
As long as the death was not intentionally drawn-out, I don't care if or how someone dies while they were committing a potentially violent crime (invasion, robbery, etc).

Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #112

Quote:
If i cap someone in the knee and they are in a wheelchair and pain for the rest of their life, maybe they'll reconsider menacing me in my home ?
Haha, pain is the cleanser. If you're in a wheelchair, you sure as won't be doing any more b & e's
you go ahead and do that taily. ill try to bring you cigerettes when that dude in the wheelchair hires attorneys who convicts you with assault with a deadly weapon after your bad guy testifys he was only trying to scare you and play a prank, and they will believe him, and bankrupts you when he sues you for damages.

dead man tells no tales. and dead B&E a-holes cant testify.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
dead man tells no tales.
Amen brother.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #114
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Thanks for link - they are cheaper here tho

Thanks for the link, SoupNazi! I just wanted to make sure you had access to them and knowledge that they existed. Some people aren't even aware that they make "play rounds" for their very real guns.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #115
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
another drill you can perfrom by yourself is taking your own house. using your rifle or sidearm, go though your house, front back and side door, and practice taking the different rooms, dry firing or not. i usually aim for a spot, corner of a frame, the switch on a lamp, and fire at it, holding my aim after the trigger pull to see if i would have been on target. learn all the nooks and corners in your house. it helps me think of ways i could take rooms better, and if need be, take my own house if i come home and the front door is kicked open.
USMC, If you get some Airsoft weapons, you can practice slicing your corners and exposing yourself at door frames at different levels to your "enemy" friends who are wearing safety goggles and shooting back in your own home! If you ever have to do it for real in your own home, your friends have probably already found all the good hidey-holes and helped you out. This gives you use of your add-on lights, lasers, flashlights, tactics and a little negative reinforcement (a stinging hit!) when you do something wrong.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #116
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yes, correct, and your point is well taken.

But in the context of this thread, the average Joe(me included)

doesn't have the skill it takes to "shoot the BG's hand". We

probably never will have that much skill.

...but I love it when THE DUKE does it...
Therewolf, no matter how much one practices, I never wanted to propagate the myth that someone under stress, adrenaline and loss of fine motor control could EVER reliably aim at, and possibly hit, the hand of a BG who is conscious, animated and trying to hurt you. This is the fantasy of hollywood writers to make good story, and will only cause death to anyone in real-life, even those trained to a very high level. Trick shots are for the carnival and the silver screen, not defense - thanks for mentioning that again, Therewolf.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
USMC, If you get some Airsoft weapons, you can practice slicing your corners and exposing yourself at door frames at different levels to your "enemy" friends who are wearing safety goggles and shooting back in your own home! If you ever have to do it for real in your own home, your friends have probably already found all the good hidey-holes and helped you out. This gives you use of your add-on lights, lasers, flashlights, tactics and a little negative reinforcement (a stinging hit!) when you do something wrong.
airsoft weapons dont weigh as much as my real ones. the trigger pull and felt click isnt like my real weapons. the measurements dont equal to my real weapons. im going to practice taking my house with my real weapons for muscle memory. usually when i give my classes we go out to a friends farmland and borrow his abandoned farm house from the 70's. then we go though with blanks. and yes paintball and airsoft are great trainers, a mussle flash and ear shattering boom when you turn a corner will make you sh*t yourself in fear.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #118

Likes Given: 3

interesting discussion fellas.

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #119

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is a good thread and here's my .02
Ok well no person on this site (that I know of) carrys and wakes up saying I want to get the chance to shoot someone today like my dad always said "its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it " with that said I hope that helps you decide weather to have it and not need it or need it and not have it ( and I'm not saying just because you have the gun or firearm dosent mean somethings not gonna happen

Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #120
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
This is a good thread and here's my .02
Ok well no person on this site (that I know of) carrys and wakes up saying I want to get the chance to shoot someone today like my dad always said "its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it " with that said I hope that helps you decide weather to have it and not need it or need it and not have it ( and I'm not saying just because you have the gun or firearm dosent mean somethings not gonna happen
Actually, SmithKid, I think that the people that actually PREPARE (not just buy the gun and load it) are more ready for a violent encounter and always on the lookout for it (Condition: Yellow) for the express purpose of AVOIDING the encounter altogether. So in a strange sort of way, the ones that are fully prepared and conditioning themselves for danger are much less likely to be involved in an encounter an actually need their firearm. Strange, huh?