the heat of battle ? - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > the heat of battle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thank you for the info ... I do desperately need to do some dry fire drilling - my pistol accuracy is terrible due to moving my hand when firing.

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #102

another drill you can perfrom by yourself is taking your own house. using your rifle or sidearm, go though your house, front back and side door, and practice taking the different rooms, dry firing or not. i usually aim for a spot, corner of a frame, the switch on a lamp, and fire at it, holding my aim after the trigger pull to see if i would have been on target. learn all the nooks and corners in your house. it helps me think of ways i could take rooms better, and if need be, take my own house if i come home and the front door is kicked open.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #103

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Therewolf, you are correct that most people will not dedicate themselves to that level of training. My point was that it can be done if someone wishes to apply one's self. As a quick note, I'd like to point out to the one or two really serious people here that there are training drills that you can do at home, in front of the T.V., with an unloaded gun, using empty shell casings or snap caps (FTF, FTE, FTL drills, reload drills, drawing from concealed). There are useful ways to apply the six hours a weekend watching sports, if you really think about it.

Training doesn't have to be a huge deal or a headache. It can be done for 15 minutes at a time if you simply have nothing to do and pick a drill like speed reloading and do it! Also remember to keep a log of your training, date, time, length, type of drill practiced. Reason for this? Should you ever unfortunately find yourself in court, this is invaluable to prove that you trained yourself constantly and weren't just the "Buy it and throw it in the nightstand" type.
Yes, correct, and your point is well taken.

But in the context of this thread, the average Joe(me included)

doesn't have the skill it takes to "shoot the BG's hand". We

probably never will have that much skill.

...but I love it when THE DUKE does it...

Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #104

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
im gonna catch hell for this. and i apologize in advance.

My friends, family, neighbors, even good natured people sleep better at night knowing that there are people willing to do violence on their behalf. that violence is justified, but it is violence none the less. it is a horrible fact and a truely sad idea that people have to kill others in order to live and keep their safety intact. but if you are not ready to take a life in order to preserve you and yours, buy better locks and a big dog.

oh and to get it off my chest: to those who hope to just wound a guy, you can still kill someone with a shot to the leg. gunshots never truely heal like in movies, it hurts for the rest of your life and you are forever physicaly altered by one, just ask a cop. shooting at a range does not make you qualified to own a weapon nor brag you can hit someone across a room. congradulations you can kill paper. And if you are that truely damn worried about the law and going to court over defending yourself like any other common sense person would, then enjoy being in court as a victim after the fact , or move the f**k out of californa or the upper north east.

If i cap someone in the knee and they are in a wheelchair and pain for the rest of their life, maybe they'll reconsider menacing me in my home ?
Haha, pain is the cleanser. If you're in a wheelchair, you sure as won't be doing any more b & e's
marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #105

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
In every one of my training classes, one step emphasized before pulling the trigger was "identify threat.". This is the place where you decide NOT to shoot the stupid drunken frat boy or drop the hammer on the hardened ex-con. However, think long and hard about the latter, because in my time in hanging around the lifer crowd, you should hear the gut-splitting laugh they give when they talk about being face-to-face with a homeowner that they know won't pull the trigger, or only think they will. Their stories after they wrench the gun away depend on their mood - if they make the homeowner cry and fully embarrass him in front of his family like peeing his pants, he may only beat him nearly to death. The other stories are much more grim for the homeowner and the family. DO NOT take owning a gun or pointing it at someone lightly. If you can't follow through, best to take another route.
amen to dat . ..If u can't, don't. it's very simple .
marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 AM   #106
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tailypoe, clearly you are a young man with a sharp mind at times. Lots of real world expereince provided in these many pages. One of the issues with youth is you often miss the words of the wise while trying to express your own thoughts. Best advice I can offer is to reread this thread, toss out the stuf where members are just frustrated with your idealic concept of how to defend yourself and take to heart the good advice provided.

Most of humanity doesn't have a killer instinct, we have a survival instinct. Most of us are not going to attack anyone but with out question will defend our life and those close to use with reasonable force to stop the threat. If a firearm is required it should be used to it's best advantage, even the most skilled shooters on this forum will tell you center mass shots are the way to end the threat and keep you and yours safe.

All of this has been expressed several times and at some point I hope it makes sense to you. If not I wish you the best.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Tailypoe, clearly you are a young man with a sharp mind at times. Lots of real world expereince provided in these many pages. One of the issues with youth is you often miss the words of the wise while trying to express your own thoughts. Best advice I can offer is to reread this thread, toss out the stuf where members are just frustrated with your idealic concept of how to defend yourself and take to heart the good advice provided.

Most of humanity doesn't have a killer instinct, we have a survival instinct. Most of us are not going to attack anyone but with out question will defend our life and those close to use with reasonable force to stop the threat. If a firearm is required it should be used to it's best advantage, even the most skilled shooters on this forum will tell you center mass shots are the way to end the threat and keep you and yours safe.

All of this has been expressed several times and at some point I hope it makes sense to you. If not I wish you the best.
very well put, and also something that should be beat into the heads of everyone that is anti gun. we dont own and carry to kill, but to defend. i guarantee 100% of the people on this site dont go out every day hoping they get the chance to shoot someone but carry just in case the need arises. id rather be explaining why i shot someone than the alternative.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
If i cap someone in the knee and they are in a wheelchair and pain for the rest of their life, maybe they'll reconsider menacing me in my home ?
Haha, pain is the cleanser. If you're in a wheelchair, you sure as won't be doing any more b & e's
They won't have the option to think if they are dead, I will security over having a vengeful handicap with criminal friends any day

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #109
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Is there anything to the idea that dry firing your weapon can damage it? Specifically, anyone know if dry firing a Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911 can damage it?
SoupNazi, It is correct that most modern weapons are not damaged by dry fire drills. However, if you want to be 100% certain, you can purchase snap caps which are orange or red plastic practice rounds that allow the firing pin to fall on something safe and allow you to have something to practice loading and misfire drills with. Snap Caps are a very cheap training aide.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #110

Quote:
SoupNazi, It is correct that most modern weapons are not damaged by dry fire drills. However, if you want to be 100% certain, you can purchase snap caps which are orange or red plastic practice rounds that allow the firing pin to fall on something safe and allow you to have something to practice loading and misfire drills with. Snap Caps are a very cheap training aide.
Thanks for link - they are cheaper here tho
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.