Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hearning protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hearning protection

Being new to shooting I have a few questions.

Whats the difference between electronic ear muffs and non electronic muffs? Is one better then the other?

I was deciding between these brands. For non electronic I was looking at the Browning duel shell earmuffs (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=401399) or the Pro Ears Ultra 33 (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=553514.)

For electronic I was looking at Caldwell brand (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=142725)

What do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Nonelectronic are just a set of muffs that muffle everything. Electronic muffs allow you to talk and hear talking rather well then when you fire a gun or some other loud noise the electronic muffs turn them off in a fraction of a second.

Which one is better well I see it two ways from a safety standpoint the electronic muffs offer you more safety because you don't have to take them off to hear range commands and you can talk at a normal volume with them on.

From a hearing protection stand point I think tht nonelectronic muffs offer more protection in this area.

What you want is the highest NRR you can find. the NRR is Noise Reduction Rating. Some people even go so far as to wear plugs with muffs over them.

My hearing is shot so plugs or muffs work just fine for me. Plus the ringing in my ears helps me ignore the wife and kids and tell them I am half deff so you have to get my attition then talk to me.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

rick, 12/20/08

I have several sets of electronic and non-electronic muffs. I prefer the non-electronic muffs with a NRR of greater than 30 ( I use Remington brand muffs). I have owned Peltor 7s muffs which died after a year and a half. They would not respond to phone calls or emails when I tried to contact them for repair. I also own a pair of Pro Ears- they seem OK but are not as quiet at the non-electronic ones.

So to summarize- I use the electronic muffs if I am taking a pistol class where I need to hear range commands, and I use the non-electronic muffs for all my other shooting. Good luck.

Merry Christmas- oldandslow