Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hearing loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
...My hearing returned to normal within a couple hours but I won't be around shooting again without eyes and ears.
My hearing loss isn't what bugs me... it's the tinnitus. After years of shooting, a couple of deployments to Iraq, etc, I have the constant ringing in my ears. It NEVER goes away.

Last week, I taught the Basic Police Sniper course, and saw one of my students was not wearing hearing protection. We stopped our exercise there, and had a little class on the importance of hearing protection. We resumed firing after he went and got some "ears"... it's THAT important to me.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Ears in the making........

What, Huh, would somebody answer that @#$$%^&&**&* phone......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #23

a gun shot is usually from 140db-165db at 3ft
that is well into the range of instant permanent damage, anything over 120 decibels can cause instant damage, but it also depends on which frequency the sound happened at, a gunshot which is a higher freq bark with ''dirty'' or clipped freq, more of a shock wave then actual sound will hurt your ears a lot faster than a subwoofer of equal decibel range.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default To little to late.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2h6r89 View Post
So earlier today my retard friend, who recently purchased too many firearms for his level of experience, accidentally fired off a .40 S&W round within 3 feet on my head. My ears have been ringing like crazy for two hours now and its starting to get irritating. Did I suffer permanent ear damage? When will the ringing stop?

Does anyone have any sort of experience with this kind of stuff?
Welcome to the house of pain, I never new what ear protection was till I started to lose my hearing, from guns, fire works, working in a machine shop etc...... I had a valve to repair and used heat to help loosen parts, the thing had trapped gas between the seals, when it blew it allmost took my head off. after which the ringing in the ears has never stopped. It gets worse as the years go by. I sleep with a noisy fan at night so I don't hear the ringing. I hope your ears get better, but the damage is done. Ear plugs are cheap, use them.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agreed. I've noticed that I have lost some of my hearing as well from shooting firearms, but I didn't know much about firearms or shooting when I started so right around when I became a teenager I already had hearing damage from shooting firearms. Protect your hearing!

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, your high frequency hearing is permanently damaged. To what extent you won't know unless you have a previous hearing test as a baseline. The damage is cumulative so protect what you have left. The ringing will lessen, but you may notice hearing "crickets" from now on when in a quite environment. As you get older the problem will worsen. You will have trouble understanding speech in a crowded room. You will hear the sound, but be unable to understand the words. Sorry about the bad news, but been there done that.