Hearing loss - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hearing loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1732 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Ya might swab your ear to see if there is any blood. If there is, ya got a busted ear drum. I doubt that it bursted your drum, but check just to make sure.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2h6r89 View Post
He was in ROTC so you'd think he know what he's doing.
Are you kidding me.. Since when do cadets know anything.. Trust someone that is or was OCS, but not a cadidiot.. [Insert Facepalm here] I would have likely hit him and took his weapon from him.. But that is me. Hope you will be alright!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesian View Post
Are you kidding me.. Since when do cadets know anything.. Trust someone that is or was OCS, but not a cadidiot.. [Insert Facepalm here] I would have likely hit him and took his weapon from him.. But that is me. Hope you will be alright!
Yeah you're right. I just figured him having at least done some army stuff and having owned and shot many guns that he'd be a little more wise.

To be fair, the gun wasn't pointed at me, but definitely waaaay too close for comfort. That gunshot and the first few seconds immediately after were some of the most confusing/disorienting moments I've ever experienced. Comparable to the one time a different friend of mine (a US Marine) blasted me in the face with fire extinguisher stuff while we were messing around.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Ya might swab your ear to see if there is any blood. If there is, ya got a busted ear drum. I doubt that it bursted your drum, but check just to make sure.
No blood in the ear, but that was a good suggestion, thanks.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #15

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Since it's only happened once, I should be okay right?
Did you read the other posts where they said any hearing loss you suffered is probably permanent?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #16

Permanent, but minor right?

It's not like I went through a gunbattle at war with automatic weapons and artillery.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

All good advice above ^^^^

Find a new, more safety conscience and responsible friend. Just imagine what could have happened if you two were using some throwing knives.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is no such thing as temporary hearing loss. Although the ringing may stop, it will take less and less noise to start your ears ringing again. After four years in the military shooting without hearing protection, standing watches in the aft diesel room, emergency fire pump and main engine room followed by years working around jet aircraft; I couldn't hear a dump truck rumbling through a nitroglycerin factory!! 70% hearing loss, $10,000 for hearing aids that only correct that to 40%!

Protect your hearing!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Yeah you're right. I just figured him having at least done some army stuff and having owned and shot many guns that he'd be a little more wise.

To be fair, the gun wasn't pointed at me, but definitely waaaay too close for comfort. That gunshot and the first few seconds immediately after were some of the most confusing/disorienting moments I've ever experienced. Comparable to the one time a different friend of mine (a US Marine) blasted me in the face with fire extinguisher stuff while we were messing around.
Never assume that because someone has "experience" doing something, be it that they are in the military or police or anything else, that they actually know what the hell they are doing. There are dumbass's in every group, even the military. As someone else said about someone shooting off an lmg next to their face.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8554 Times on 5105 Posts
Likes Given: 11190

The first round I ever shot out of my gun, I shot without eye and hearing protection. I was so excited/scared/nervous to be shooting my own gun for the first time, I forgot to put my ears on. I worked hard remembering to keep the muzzle pointed down range, to not put my finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, figure out how to clip my target on the pulley (I'm short, it was a tough reach) and how to send my target down range. I load my gun, pick it up, aim it, concentrating on grip, steadying the gun with my hands, looking through the sights....................BLAM! Instantly, I could hear nothing out of my left ear and ringing in my right.

I froze! Let me tell you a GP100 is a very loud gun. I set the gun down, rethought the whole process if I should even be owning a gun. I was so disappointed in myself for being so 'stupid'. After gathering myself together, I put my eyes and ears on and continued shooting. I guarantee you, I learned a very valuable lesson that day. My hearing returned to normal within a couple hours but I won't be around shooting again without eyes and ears.