Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Hearing loss (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/hearing-loss-44500/)

D2h6r89 06-30-2011 12:43 AM

Hearing loss

So earlier today my retard friend, who recently purchased too many firearms for his level of experience, accidentally fired off a .40 S&W round within 3 feet on my head. My ears have been ringing like crazy for two hours now and its starting to get irritating. Did I suffer permanent ear damage? When will the ringing stop?

Does anyone have any sort of experience with this kind of stuff?

robocop10mm 06-30-2011 01:12 AM

Did you suffer permanent damage? Yes. To what extent? Only time will tell. The ringing will subside over the next few days.

So, you know the "friend" is retarded AND you are near him when he is handling a firearm? Who's retarded?

I would not associate with this individual ever again. Next time the round may go off INTO your head.

Firearms4ever 06-30-2011 01:23 AM

You did suffer permanent damage, sadly. I only use hearing protection when I shoot where it's required. Dumb? Yes, but I'm use to that type of loud noise since I've grown up around firearms and spend a lot of time in the country with my cousins doing farming and such. Regarding you "friend" I would suggest you not be near him when he is handling a firearm, and be thankful the bullet didn't hit you.

c3shooter 06-30-2011 02:20 AM

WHAT?!?!?! HUH????

Yes, what they said up there. The ringing will likely die down SOME, depending on how badly your ears have been abused. However, each damaging event becomes cumulative.

The only thing deafer than a room full of old shooters is a reunion of artillerymen, flightline mechanics and aircraft carrier deck crew.

See your Doc. If it continues he MAY precribe some Niacin. Stay away from cafeine for a while. Lose the idiot friend. WEAR the muffs when you shoot, run the lawnmower, use the leafblower- and turn that damned radio DOWN!

Oh- yeah- almost forgot- WHAT????

yellowhand 06-30-2011 02:45 AM

Take one part combat medic
Take one part idiot from TN
Add in one PIG AKA M-60 and 6 ft belt
Have medic fall asleep beside said PIG (after working 72 hrs straight)
Have idiot from TN see large bird @ 300 meters
Forty years later, ears are still ringing!
Idiot from TN is still wearing ready made front teeth.
I hope!:mad:

Vincine 06-30-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 531663)
WEAR the muffs when you shoot, run the lawnmower, use the leafblower- and turn that damned radio DOWN!

Muffs AND plugs. With all the above, and with drills, saws and any power tools or any other thing that makes noise.

Rhodesian 06-30-2011 07:30 AM

Yeah, I was in training dismounted with my M240b and somewhere lost my earpro and had to fire all day long with no protection.. Cost me some hearing in the higher frequencies.. I got lucky, it could have been worse.. I made some makeshift ones until I could get new ones. I make it a point to carry multiple forms of earpro now. Protect your hearing, even if all you have are some cigarette butts to stick in..

wmille01 06-30-2011 11:18 AM

I don't know I've fired guns without hearing protection for a few years now, 90% hunting 10% self defense drills (chances are real low you'll have it in when you need to use your ccw if you ever do) I've gotten to the point where I can fire my mosin or my 7mm mag, my ears only ring for about 10-15 seconds then I'm good but mostly one round. As for my
9mm or my 357 mag usually more then one or two shots so it lasts a little longer.

D2h6r89 06-30-2011 01:21 PM

Yeah he almost took my head off, luckily the bullet hit the wall like a foot from where I was standing.
He was in ROTC so you'd think he know what he's doing.

He was telling me he walks around carrying his gun cocked in his bag in a holster... I was like "that sounds like a bad idea" and then he was telling me if its not cocked and you need to use it *then he mimicks drawing his gun and cocking it* and then it went off. It was clearly an idiotic move because I'm pretty sure he had just gotten done sticking a clip full of hollow points into the gun.

It was super loud and I just woke up this morning... my friggin ears are still ringing.

I am just trying to gauge how serious this damage could be. I haven't been around that many guns that went off, this was the first time I've had this intense ringing other than a few times after loud concerts.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? Since it's only happened once, I should be okay right?

Firearms4ever 06-30-2011 02:06 PM

There's the big mistake he made. If he was going to demonstrate drawing the gun and cocking it, it shouldn't have been loaded. Also if he was going to demonstrate it he should have been pointing the firearm in a safe direction, and made sure it wasn't loaded. If I demonstrate doing something with a firearm I always take the magazine out and make sure there's not a round in the chamber. Regarding the ringing in your ears, if it doesn't get better withing a few days I would go to the doctor.