Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Health and fitness of gun owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default Health and fitness of gun owners

The physical fitness along with the mental fitness of a gun owner is as important as the expensive equipment that one has. Without good physical and mental fitness we become more a liability in the effective defensive use, of the gun.

I myself have a few medical conditions that have side lined me as disabled. Though I seem to be mentally fit (depending on who you ask) the body just does not want to work like it did in the past.

How does it affect my defensive use of a weapon? Well I cannot run to take cover as well, nor do I want to drop to the ground sense I possibly could not get back up to move. The use of some weapons for any viable offensive / defensive use is all but a dream sense I have a hard time holding up a Cetme for a long period, the Cetme’s draw back is it is heavy.

What can one like myself do to help over come some of the liabilities I have? Well to be quite frank some of the physical damage will never heal nor will I find much to compensate for it. I how ever can do a few thing, like lose about 50 lbs, Walk as much as I am able to, take up some weight training to help with strength, and help tone this flabby body I got, stop smoking, cut drinking of alcohol, (which I have done).

Cut sweets (I don’t eat or drink much in sweets at all), cut my salt intake by half, (this I have actually done) Watch what I eat, (I do this all the time, I watch it go on the fork and into my mouth) that is why I need to lose about 50 lbs. I still need to work on my coffee intake, I don’t drink coffee after 10 am but up until that time I will drink a lot of it.

As far as mental fitness goes I am perfectly sane it is everyone else who is crazy.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not a fitness expert, but I can tell you what worked for me. I was over 140kg (308lbs) and couldn't go up two flights of stairs without gasping for air, now I'm 90kg (198lbs) and in the best shape of my life.

I took it slow, and instead of following any crazy fast weight loss program I started making changes in my habits. Long term changes. I made sure I was eating well enough to loose fat but not muscle. At first I slowly increased the frequency and duration of my workouts (my regular routine now is 6 days a week, 2 hours a day, 3 days MMA training and 3 days pure physical conditioning).

Go to a nutritionist and get as much information as possible. At first planning your meals will be a pain in the ass, but after a while it will just be second nature. Don't try to make any radical changes all of a sudden, slowly work towards those goals. I'm now eating six meals a day, my breakfast is huge but the size of the other five meals gets smaller as the day goes on (it doesn't make much sense to eat a huge steak dinner and just go to sleep!).

Drinking, smoking, fried food and most sweets should be avoided. Alcohol is really useless, it only gives you empty calories (no nutrients) and can prevent the absorbtion of important nutrients. Frying is really unhealthy as well, and the calories spent on sweets could be invested in much healthier food (I'd rather have a nice juicy steak than a couple of doughnuts).

A nutritionist will tell you the kind of food you need to eat. I'm on a high protein diet, loads of meat and dairy, very little flour and bread (and ridiculous amounts of fruit!). I do get a decent amount of carbs in my breakfast. I really love the way I'm eating now, I've got no cravings whatsoever, I'm never hungry and I'm full of energy.

For me, the hardest part has been social life. The other fighters I train with understand that I follow some rules when it comes to food (mainly because most of them do as well) but friends and family sometimes take it personally when I turn down cake at a birthday party or toast with water. I don't believe in making exceptions, I consider food part of my training and take it just as seriously as any session at the gym.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the main benefits from regular exercise and eating right is that you will feel more rested and alert all the time. The alertness alone could save your life as you will be more aware of your surroundings. It's easier to maintain condition yellow when alert, and you will be able to pick up on details that should switch you to condition orange when you need to.

Besides that not all of us can be it enough to physically fight with an attacker. I'm young, but high school Rugby did a number on me and due to some shoulder injuries I really can't do more than throw some punches and I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that I can simply knock out somebody really intent on doing me harm. I sort of gave up on my health for a year or two because I couldn't really use it for sports anymore. I got over that and once again enjoy working out for its own sake. Even if you aren't an athlete, its always worth improving you health status.

We might as well be honest with ourselves, the real reason we all carry is this:
"God created man, Sam Colt made them even"

Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good reminder that physical fitness is a priority for those that use and carry Opaww.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I can tell you this I am still a good shot. But when I was in better shape I was a much better shot than I am now. I notice that because I am so out of shape it takes me longer to shoot a group because of my breathing. It is harder to make shots in the field for ground hogs because I can't get into positions i used to be able to drop right into. If I tried to drop into a position more than likely I am going to effe myself up and be laying there in pain.

This is one reason why I do not CCW right now.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

I'm old, and I've got enough parts that no longer work right that it would be cheaper to just buy a new model than try to fix what's busted. That said, I know that I've got to adapt, improvise and overcome (to coin a phrase).

If you told me to run across my livingroom to get the $200 Million winning lottery ticket I'd tell you to forget it - my body can't do that any more. However, I can get off the X - maybe just not as fast as the younger folks. But I train on getting off the X while shooting, and how to collapse when I get to cover or concealment so that I can get my firearm trained back on the threat. It's not pretty, but I'm not in this for the staring role in a movie. To me it's about being able to stay alive.

As for "Even if I get to cover I may not be able to get back up again" -- who says you have to? I can shoot from some pretty awkward-looking positions because I do not have the option of getting back into a more "standard" position.

I'm not saying you don't need to improve the condition you are in if that's a possibility. I'm just saying that while you are getting in better shape, or if the shape you are in is as good as it's ever going to be, learn how to deal with it. If you go down, don't let it be for a lack of trying.

stay safe.

skidmark

Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep View Post
HI thanks for sharing can you please let me know which gun will be suitable for me? i am a newbie and i need it to kill the animals that comes in the night on our backyard and destroy all the vegetables and other property. I want the gun for both reason for safety and to get them out of my backyard if i shot in the air...........
Did you even read the thread? Please stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you are here and then please post your question in the proper area. Hang out for a while and get some knowledge before purchasing any weapon....please.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't work out nearly as hard as I used to but I still stay in shape. A few years ago I was lifting weights for 2 hours a day and running 3-5 miles, 4-5 days a week. Then came the knee surgery and 2 years later I'm back to running 2 miles 3-4 days a week and I'm lifting weights for about 45 minutes 3-4 days a week. When I'm in the gym, I'm not messing around, I take very few rests and keep moving. My rutine gets changed every 4-6 weeks.

I try to eat healthy, no fast food, very few fried foods, good meats and lots of veggies. I don't smoke or dip, alcohol has been cut way back. I eat a few sweets but not much. I enjoy food way too much to not eat some things that aren't good for me but all in moderation.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I just dropped a bit of weight and it makes a big difference for me in how I feel in general. If the food is clean and I am getting regular exercise my general attitude is just better.

Opaww I have been fifty over and I know how hard it is to lose. Especially if you can't do much for exercise. But I also know how much better it feels to be free of that burden. Now when I have to carry fifty pound boxes upstairs I wonder how the hell did I do that on a daily basis.

Good luck buddy.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 05-03-2010 at 01:33 PM.