Hazards of flashlights on handguns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hazards of flashlights on handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 169 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Carbines are not designed for answering the door.

Shotguns are a lot better for that.
I'm sorry, but I think you missed the point - I need one hand to OPEN the door. If I feel the door may be opened safely, but am somehow mistaken, (it happens, which is how some home invasions take place), my defensive shotgun might be very out of place to use correctly. If I had an NFA shotgun like a Mad Max version, maybe, but until then, (I have no intention of buying one), I'll stick with a one handed firearm for such mundane jobs.

Having said that, the ONLY version of a carbine that would work to answer the door would be one of the AR or AK pistols with the SiG Arm Brace installed AND strapped on AS an arm brace, to allow some sort of awkward one handed use. I don't intend to "strap on" like that to answer the door during routine day to day activities, but it might be a good short setup to use IF all other layers of my home security have been breached and I am down to guarding the safe room with my family inside. Then of course the Arm Brace may be, as ATFE says, "misused in a manner not intended by the manufacturer".

In the meantime, this will also work.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Carbines are not designed for answering the door.

Shotguns are a lot better for that.
sure. scare the crap out of the little girl trying to sell Girl Scout cookies!

kind of hard to have shotgun held discreetly when you answer the door. you can discreetly hide a pistol when answering the door, first of all, you are armed if you need it, but don't give the person knocking on the door a heart attack for no reason as well.

some might even suggest if the neighborhood you live in is so bad that you feel the need to answer a knock on the door with a shotgun, maybe moving would be a good idea.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1053 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
sure. scare the crap out of the little girl trying to sell Girl Scout cookies!

kind of hard to have shotgun held discreetly when you answer the door. you can discreetly hide a pistol when answering the door, first of all, you are armed if you need it, but don't give the person knocking on the door a heart attack for no reason as well.

some might even suggest if the neighborhood you live in is so bad that you feel the need to answer a knock on the door with a shotgun, maybe moving would be a good idea.
I've never answered the door in my life with a shotgun or carbine in hand.

Is everybody's peep hole on their door broken?

I know the Girl Scouts can be pretty insistent, but I've never had one stop by at 2 AM and they're not that aggressive.

I have put blood over the doors, though, so the Jehovah's Witnesses pass over like the plague.

The only reason I can think of to answer the door with a carbine or shotgun in hand are the Democratic Party bubbas. It sends the message without saying a word.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #34

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mods ! Do your duty !