Hazards of flashlights on handguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hazards of flashlights on handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Hazards of flashlights on handguns

There have been a number of accidental shootings when the finger hits the trigger instead of the on switch for the flashlight.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25921024/gun-mounted-flashlights-linked-accidental-shootings

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Liked 1617 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Too many moving parts for some folks.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I think that had there been more practice with the defense firearm, then such "accidents" would not occur.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6694 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 7221

Im not a fan of flashlights on weapons unless your coon hunting, fumbling for the power sw isnt the only danger. A flashlight is the very best target for a kill shot you can give someone in an SD situation. We have a dead Sheriff that found that out a few years ago when he stormed a man barricaded in his garage in the dark. All the guy saw was a light about face level coming at him and he aimed at the light, shot the Deputy right in the juggler.

If your gonna use any form of vision assistance in the dark it might better be a Nightscope that doesnt give your exact location away before you have a chance to defend yourself.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Im not a fan of flashlights on weapons unless your coon hunting, fumbling for the power sw isnt the only danger. A flashlight is the very best target for a kill shot you can give someone in an SD situation. We have a dead Sheriff that found that out a few years ago when he stormed a man barricaded in his garage in the dark. All the guy saw was a light about face level coming at him and he aimed at the light, shot the Deputy right in the juggler.

If your gonna use any form of vision assistance in the dark it might better be a Nightscope that doesnt give your exact location away before you have a chance to defend yourself.

They are great on rifles when doing raids in a combat zone especially when they have strobe. My light probably saved a few hajjis by stunning and confusing them enough for me to buttstroke them instead of shoot them

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

People Like This 
Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6694 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 7221

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
They are great on rifles when doing raids in a combat zone especially when they have strobe. My light probably saved a few hajjis by stunning and confusing them enough for me to buttstroke them instead of shoot them

Fair enough, Ive been retired from the Infantry for about 10 years, we never had them, we did have plenty of NODS, 50/ Mk19 Night Scopes and even the TOW NS. A strobe could certainly cause someone to seize. Im not sure if I would feel safe with a beacon lighting my location but youve actually had experience (thank you for your service BTW), I defer to your actual experiencene.

The only case of SD Ive heard of locally did involve a Sheriff with a mounted light on his Weapon, he was an Iraq Vet, so was the guy who shot at the light at about 20'. Not sure if it was a lucky shot but it was deadly for the officer.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:

Couldn't say it better myself. I'd rather take my chances in the dark.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Fair enough, Ive been retired from the Infantry for about 10 years, we never had them, we did have plenty of NODS, 50/ Mk19 Night Scopes and even the TOW NS. A strobe could certainly cause someone to seize. Im not sure if I would feel safe with a beacon lighting my location but youve actually had experience (thank you for your service BTW), I defer to your actual experiencene.

The only case of SD Ive heard of locally did involve a Sheriff with a mounted light on his Weapon, he was an Iraq Vet, so was the guy who shot at the light at about 20'. Not sure if it was a lucky shot but it was deadly for the officer.

See that's the thing if you have experience using them then you can mitigate it's effects on you or at least fight through it(one of the reasons people who certify with taser/oc have to be hit with it is learning to fight after accidental exposure) now that you say the other guy was a vet too he used his tactical experience and training to shoot a deputy who was also a vet. The deputy was probably not switched on and acting like he would had he been in a combat zone he was switched on and in cop mode using tactics and training for law enforcement. When faced with someone with combat experience who is still in that mode then a lot of times they overwhelm Leo's take a look at this as an example of what one former Marine (also a gangster) does to a police officer. Please disregard the person who does a VoiceOver in the beginning talking about police harassing Hispanics it's the only copy of the video I can find

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2030 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Quote:

Most homes are not pitch dark. Almost everyone has night lights in their home. Second as a civilian one is not required to rush into harms way. I am not sure about a light on a pistol but there should certainly be a light on a long gun. I can tell for sure who is in my house by the night lights. I cannot tell for sure if he is a threat.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #10

Liked 219 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I keep this available at night.

Generates a pretty blinding beam. The switch is far in front of the trigger, and doesn't work the same.

I can also use a flashlight, like this,

Don't laugh too hard, OK?

But I can say that for me, this approach seems to work better. Ignore the verbiage - I was bored that day.

That's just my choice, and I use it at home, not on the street -here I know where things are.