Handgun vs Long or shotgun for Home Def - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Handgun vs Long or shotgun for Home Def

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1535 Times on 769 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Though the occasion might be rare, i'd like to have a less-lethal option available for potential problems with: visiting nephews (last person i threw down after being awoken in the middle of the night was a nephew) , drunken pranking buddies, and misplaced wildlife. I've had to clean up after batting a racoon & it was much easier than plastering holes in the wall or fixing a hole in the floor.

I have considered using one of those pepper spray-infused bean bag rounds as the first round in the Mossy.

Truly, the main reason i would grab the Mossy first is familiarity; i've had it for many years & used it more than any of my firearms, though mostly for hunting. I've also shown most of the roomates i've had over the years how to use it for HD

(so easy a hippie chick can use it).

Copy that, comfort and familiarity with a particular firearm is a good reason to make it your go-to.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would just like to point out that the over all legnth of a man holding out a pistol it the ready position can be just as long as some carbines out there.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default I'm a shotgun Guy

Although we have a handgun, I have no idea where it is and I think the person in the house who hides it sometimes forgets himself. If anyone were to break in, I would go for the 870. I have some old duck loads that I would use. They are Remington Express loads, with "Kleanbore priming" with "New Plastic" and extra power. These are some OLD shells, back when using lead for waterfowl was legal. They are 3" mags and are in in 4 1/2 1 7/8 BB. I've seen em in action. They've killed geese, who even after being shot with a 12 gauge shotgun, and falling, have still managed to run away, try to bite me, then with broken necks honk like the dickens to their flying friends to stay away. I don't know about you, but if someone hit me with a shotty, I would stay down.

ARs have been proven to have less penetration, only going through two sets of drywall, whereas shotguns and handguns went through three. If not in a rural area, this could be a problem. I saw this on some tactical show on the outdoor channel.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #14

Liked 1452 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In the immortal words of c3shooter, "My hand gun is used to get me to my shotgun.", or something like that.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #15

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Im a bit biased towards the shotgun on this one....

1. Do not need a permit to buy one
2. Wide variety whether you want a pump, semi, or a side by side or whatever
3. Generally, you can find them for a lot cheaper
4. More user friendly...dont need to aim...less time practicing..just focus on reloading and troubleshooting
5. Stopping power...yea pistols are good...but 8 .32 cal pellets are awesome
6. Damage to home? with a full or extra full choke, buck shot spread wouldnt be too wide at a range of up to about 25 yards..and it doesnt over penetrate

Only downside I see to it is quick access storage and overall length but you can always get a stubby with a pistol grip

But one question.....How does having a pistol mean a lesser chance of accidental injury in the home?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3109 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 869

I am not arguing with the handgun or the shotgun. They both have their time and place. However I have been wondering about a pistol calibre carbine like the KT Sub2000 or similar. The PS90 is also intriguing with its 50 rnds of 5.7x28. They stay tight to the body and require less skill than a handgun and less recoil than a shotgun. The spread from a shotgun at 10-15' is almost non existant. You do need to aim.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In the immortal words of c3shooter, "My hand gun is used to get me to my shotgun.", or something like that.
Exactamundo! The handgun is what you use to give you time and space to get to your long gun, shotgun or rifle. I will entertain zero arguements on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3109 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 869

There is a new post in the shotgun forum about a new shotgun from Kel Tec. It might be the do all HD/SD weapon. It has my attention. I would also like to see a carbine version of their new 30 round 22 Mag pistol.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #19

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Preface:. In general I prefer my handguns to shotguns, and my only shotgun is out of commission because of a dumbass mistake...

While I agree that for a protracted running fire fight against the undead/evil jackbooted thugs of oppression/gang war/Taliban/Klingon invaders a handgun isn't sufficent in a HD/SD it's more important to remove the threat ASAP not arming up then taking the fight to him/evacuating.

Now if you live in a bigger house if you walk past you gun safe in the process of finding/removing the thread I can kinda see the point, but I've only lived in apartments, so I don't know for sure.

Based on a mix of familiarity/power/ability ny personal preference for HD is this...
1. My XD40
2. Kimber 1911
3. Springfield 1911
4. My AR-15
5. My 30-06
6. My AR-57 (only because I'd have to take the lower off the AR-15 first, unless I want a bat with BUIS)

Oh and to the guy who asked about the synthetic stocks compared to the wood stocks of the M1/M14, they still hurt, and can still break ribs and people. They aren't the super fragile POS that some make them out to be because they fear change and technology. I'm not sayin' you're one of those people, but I've met some.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I guess I was replying to the point that the BG might grab your handgun which would put one is a very close combat position. In such a case a larger piece of wood and metal might be preferable to a handgun.
I AGREE WITH ALL. I WOULD SHOOT THE BG EARLY, FIRST AND FAST
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.