Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Handgun vs Long or shotgun for Home Def

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Default Handgun vs Long or shotgun for Home Def

There are probably as many different opinions on this subject as there are gunowners. I wanted to share my views on this, for what they are worth, and read what some of you have to say.

Personally, I'm in the handgun camp for a few reasons.

1. There is less mass to wield. That usually means the weapon can be brought into play faster.

2. Weapon compactness allows greater freedom of movement through hallways, on stairways or in tight spaces.

3. A handgun can be kept on a nightstand with other essentials, your cellphone and your glasses, if you wear corrective lenses.

4. A handgun allows you to keep one hand free, (and for this reason, no matter how entrenched you are in the two-handed stance, it's wise to practice shooting one-handed. Get good with both hands.) The free-hand can hold the cellphone. You will want to be in contact with authorities as soon as possible for a number of reasons, not least being the legal ramifications that you are sure to encounter if you discharge a weapon at an intruder.

5. There is less likelihood of injuring others in your home.

6. The accessible handgun arms you for movement to your other weapons.

7. The chances of an intruder wearing a ballistic vest is almost nil. You'll likely be dealing with dirtbags, not ninjas.

8. The least important reason, you'll do less expensive damage to your home.

Most of you have probably spent considerable time thinking out your own plans, my reasons may not be applicable to your situation. You may have better reasons for using a long gun. Just my 2c.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6111 Times on 3703 Posts
Likes Given: 6916

My knowledge is very limited but I was also told a gun with a shorter barrel will be harder for someone to grab and try to wrestle away from you. Maybe I was told that because I am 'a girl', I don't know. I have a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. I debated a long time whether to get the 6" or the 4" barrel but opted for the 6" with the hopes of reducing recoil and better accuracy.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 01-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Handguns are comforting and convienient,they can be grabbed and carried around the house if you hear a noise with no effort,you can answer a doorbell ring at midnight with it behind your back(so if it's just your neighbor asking if you seen his puppy you won't freak him out)etc,but if I know s#!- is going to hit the fan and I hear my door being kicked in at night,I WILL grab that shotgun I got in my closet that's loaded with some 00 critical defense rounds rather than my pistol.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can never know the level of determination someone has,their h2h skill level,so on.If i think im going to have to go outside in the open,im taking my AR.But nothing scares the general population more than a shotgun,especially with a 200 lumen light on the end.While pistols can be moved around easier,i like to have a light for hd.And my pistols have no lights.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A shotgun with a wooden stock is also a great vertical and horizontal butt stroke weapon.
I guess I'm dating myself as my training was with 3006 M1/ M14s type weapon. I really don't know about the new lightweight weapons with synthetic stocks etc

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
1. There is less mass to wield. That usually means the weapon can be brought into play faster.
Mossy pump12 is better for clubbing, if needed.

3. A handgun can be kept on a nightstand with other essentials, your cellphone and your glasses, if you wear corrective lenses.
My Mossy is closer than my snooze button (no kids).

7. The chances of an intruder wearing a ballistic vest is almost nil. You'll likely be dealing with dirtbags, not ninjas.
Vest or not, a load of shot to the chest will give one pause.
Different strokes for different folks. In the event of a problem with the shotty by the snooze button, my loaded XD45 & 5 loaded mags are in a drawer reachable from the other side of my bed (reachable from sleeping position). I guess if i didn't want to wake anyone else up, i could use the bayonet on the SKS standing beside the furniture containing the XD45 . If it really hits the fan, i'll throw one of the cats at them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 01-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If it really hits the fan, i'll throw one of the cats at them.

But why bother using your Mossberg as a "club"? What's the point? He's in your house, you've got a loaded firearm, you tell him to stop and he doesn't--why not just shoot him? Why risk a hand2hand encounter with a guy who might be jacked up, or the possibility of your shotgun being taken from you? Why allow the threat to get within arm's reach of you if you have the power to prevent him from doing so? I can clearly understand the need for clubbing if the intruder is a drunk neighbor who mistakenly went to the wrong house...but if it's a stranger...kill him.

Last edited by 7point62; 01-03-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
A shotgun with a wooden stock is also a great vertical and horizontal butt stroke weapon.
I guess I'm dating myself as my training was with 3006 M1/ M14s type weapon. I really don't know about the new lightweight weapons with synthetic stocks etc

Same as above. Why bother with a buttstroke, horizontal or vertical? Just shoot him.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
But why bother using your Mossberg as a "club"? What's the point?
Though the occasion might be rare, i'd like to have a less-lethal option available for potential problems with: visiting nephews (last person i threw down after being awoken in the middle of the night was a nephew) , drunken pranking buddies, and misplaced wildlife. I've had to clean up after batting a racoon & it was much easier than plastering holes in the wall or fixing a hole in the floor.

I have considered using one of those pepper spray-infused bean bag rounds as the first round in the Mossy.

Truly, the main reason i would grab the Mossy first is familiarity; i've had it for many years & used it more than any of my firearms, though mostly for hunting. I've also shown most of the roomates i've had over the years how to use it for HD (so easy a hippie chick can use it).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 01-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEN View Post
You can never know the level of determination someone has,their h2h skill level,so on.If i think im going to have to go outside in the open,im taking my AR.But nothing scares the general population more than a shotgun,especially with a 200 lumen light on the end.While pistols can be moved around easier,i like to have a light for hd.And my pistols have no lights.

Valid points. But again, as far as H2H is concerned, my imperative is to never allow anybody to get within arm's reach of my weapon. I don't care what their skill level is, I'm going to shoot them before I have to find out. You're also right that a shotgun has an intimidation factor, but why bother intimidating? While you are intimidating he can be drawing a bead on your forehead.

You're life is at stake. You've identified the target as a threat. My argument is, don't waste time. Don't think about intimidating or butt stroking or trying out your karate. Shoot em. Terminate the threat.

As far going outside, I agree. I'm going to grab my 870 or my AR on the way out.

Last edited by 7point62; 01-03-2011 at 08:03 PM.