Hand to hand questions - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Hand to hand questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Well not entirely, I hope this is the right section. I have a few questions on what one would do in a few situations.

Situation 1- You have a few months (6-8) experience in krav mag or kali, but little or no experience in knife fighting.

You are in some "empty" house and your doing cqb and all you have is a fixed blade knife Ka-Bar style. You walk in a room and someone comes at you with a knife, Do you A pull your knife and fight or B try to use the knife disarming skills you learned in your martial arts training?

scenario 2
You were just in battle and your weapon is dry and you seek cover in a seemingly empty building, a enemy combatant or soldier comes at you but he's unarmed and all you have is a empty gun and your knife. Do you pull your knife and fight or keep it in its sheath because the guy could possibly take it from you or try beating him with your rifle??

Odd questions but it kind of got me thinking, is it better to use your fists or a knife you dont know how to fight with? Is it better to leave a knife out of a fight because you could lose it, or pull it to give you an "advantage"?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
As usual there are to many variables to give any intelligent answer to this type of questions!
But when I took my knife training we were told there were three rules about 'fighting' with a knife:
1. DON'T unless you absolutely MUST!
2. If you do get into a knife fight you will get cut.
3. The one that cuts longest and deepest first wins!
'fighting' is different than using a knife to 'neutralize' an unaware adversary.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #32

Liked 271 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I cannot see it ever being the best choice to use empty hands when a knife is available . In fact, the army says in one of its combatives field manuals that the empty hand fighting taught is not to be used in preference to a knife or gun .
I've already explained the advantages of a knife :
1) Threat value that could deter an attacker .
2) Reach .
3) Great chance of causing disabling injuries .

If you are using a knife, you can try to block or stab the opponent's knife arm and hand . Beyond that, different styles and schools will disagree on what to do .

If you are caught empty-handed, you can run as advised by others, grab a field-expedient weapon such as a chair or bottle, use a jacket or blanket wrapped around your arm as a shield , deflect the knife hand while punching and kicking , grab the knife hand two-handed to stabilize the knife and deliver knee strikes to the groin and abdomen, grab the knife hand and smack it violently against a solid wall or pavement until the attacker drops the knife , attempt to kick the knife out of his hand or attempt to apply a hold and make him stab himself with his own knife .

Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #33

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Here is a great demonstration of knife attack/defense. If you think 6 months of any training will help, get a lawyer and make a will. Step 1, RUN!!!! Step 2, refer to step 1!!!!
Agree.

That was a very good video. The guy used words and movement to distract the victim and conceal his intentions before a sudden attack. That made him deadly. Hours spent stabbing balloons or shouting Hari-Kari to your sparring partner won't do any harm as long as you don't take it seriously.

The victim had several seconds, maybe 15, to decide what he was going to do and how he was going to (hopefully) gain some distance and get his own knife in hand without the other guy knowing. Or better yet, run. The other guy was a tad porky - him and his knife could probably be left behind fairly quickly.

Last edited by Rocky7; 03-24-2014 at 04:01 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #34
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Hand to hand questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Most people are not extremely informed when it comes to blade combat.

That is one of the reasons you hear of murders where victim is "stabbed over 37 times" or something similar. The common answer is "it was a crime of passion or evil". Not always the case. When the killers technique was learned from watching Friday the 13th, it may take 37 little stab holes for the person to bleed enough to lose consciousness.

The most important thing in a fight is position. It is hard to gain favorable position while flailing a knife with one hand. I would recommend gaining control of opponent then going for your knife. Target main arteries in, neck, inner thigh, inner arms. It does not take a large butcher knife with 12" blade to be effective. A small tactical folder is enough.

One deep cut is better than 10 superficial slices. Remember that slicing muscles and tendons in a forearm will make it impossible to grip with that hand. Good for you, bad for them.

Well said. I usually carry a quality folder, and a Multi- Blade Leatherman tool. Sometimes I will add a Belt Or Boot knife of some sort. Still, it's really a last resort.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #35
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Well not entirely, I hope this is the right section. I have a few questions on what one would do in a few situations.

Situation 1-
You are in some "empty" house and your doing cqb and all you have is a fixed blade knife Ka-Bar style. You walk in a room and someone comes at you with a knife, Do you A pull your knife and fight or B try to use the knife disarming skills you learned in your martial arts training?

scenario 2
You were just in battle and your weapon is dry and you seek cover in a seemingly empty building, a enemy combatant or soldier comes at you but he's unarmed and all you have is a empty gun and your knife. Do you pull your knife and fight or keep it in its sheath because the guy could possibly take it from you or try beating him with your rifle??

Scenario 1: Odds are they would be charging at you with a knife and you would not have time going for the blade. I've trained in several different disciplines on knife defense and they all suck in reality of a realistic knife fight. I believe your best chance is what some others said. Your focus needs to be gaining control of the threat so he can stop hurting you. Immediately after gaining control you attack with no reserve. If you can get your blade into the fight excellent. If you can't there are many other options you have between h2h, walls/corners, etc you can use as an weapon of opportunity.

Scenario 2 - While I don't think this is a realistic scenario for civilian I'm not worried about a knife disarm in a one-on-one fight. Is it possible? Of course. However, just as hard as it can be for me to disarm them in a realistic fight with a knife, it will be every bit as hard for them. Just by taking a good weapon retention class or two and a little hard work can put the worried of being disarmed a little more at ease. I personally have not taken any knife specific weapon retention classes. However, most of the ttp's used in the few handgun retention classes I have take can easily transition over to knife retention.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Use your knife disarm. Grab the knife hand if possible, pivot so you are facing the same way as your attacker, wrench his arm up and across your body to break it; or knock the knife hand to one side with your lead hand and strike him with your strong hand, maybe a powerful upward palm strike to the underside of the jaw or an eyejab; either way, a total committment. Then kill him.

Quote:
scenario 2

The hell with the knife. You beat the living crap out of him with your rifle.
People Like This 
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #37
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 14690

Quote:

Situation 1- You have a few months (6-8) experience in krav mag or kali, but little or no experience in knife fighting.

scenario 2

Odd questions but it kind of got me thinking, is it better to use your fists or a knife you dont know how to fight with? Is it better to leave a knife out of a fight because you could lose it, or pull it to give you an "advantage"?

Option 1 in both cases is GTFO if possible. If not, what are my surroundings, and what are the weapons of opportunity around me? Are there still doors in the jambs, anything that can be used as a club, broken bottles, etc? Situational awareness should keep you out of this type of scenario in the first place IMO. if my attacker has a knife the only way I am going to go hand to hand with them is if i can not retreat from the threat. At bare minimum i would want to have an entrenching tool at my disposal if the other guy has a knife. i would personally prefer a firearm in that case. A knife is a weapon of last resort, plain and simple.

Scenario 2- Have I passed by any dropped enemy weapons on the way to this building? Do I only have an empty rifle, or do i have a bayonet for said rifle? If a bayonet is available, i would have mounted it before entering said empty building, or picked up a rifle dropped by the enemy (remember, raping the corpses is not always sexual. Sometimes it is a way to rearm one's self. 0 along with any loaded magazines i can find. If the other guy has a knife, and I can't get out of where i am, i will use whatever advantage I have to ensure that I survive the encounter. plain and simple, it is not my job to die for my country, family, etc. It is my job to make the other guy die for his ________.

IOW, run if you can. it's always the better choice. If you can't take any and every advantage you can get.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
People Like This