You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Hand to hand questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 304 Times on 232 Posts

First thing first. If you only have 6 months of martial arts experience your still trying to learn the basics. And have most likely not had any experience in disarming anyone at all gun or knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Most people are not extremely informed when it comes to blade combat.

That is one of the reasons you hear of murders where victim is "stabbed over 37 times" or something similar. The common answer is "it was a crime of passion or evil". Not always the case. When the killers technique was learned from watching Friday the 13th, it may take 37 little stab holes for the person to bleed enough to lose consciousness.

The most important thing in a fight is position. It is hard to gain favorable position while flailing a knife with one hand. I would recommend gaining control of opponent then going for your knife. Target main arteries in, neck, inner thigh, inner arms. It does not take a large butcher knife with 12" blade to be effective. A small tactical folder is enough.

One deep cut is better than 10 superficial slices. Remember that slicing muscles and tendons in a forearm will make it impossible to grip with that hand. Good for you, bad for them.

Actually the most important thing in a fight is base. Position is important to an extent. If you have someone mounted but do not have a good base your not going to be on top for long. And it depends on who you are fighting. In my primary martial art it doesn't matter if your on top on bottom on my side or ware ever I'm still in control.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #23

But if for sum dumb reason I found my self in a situation ware I could not run and he had a knife I wouldn't even pull mine. I would control his stab him in the lung with it while it was still in his hand brake his arm and choke him to sleep. In that exact order.

But I would highly advise running if possible. If you can't run and you do not have a lot of experience in sear ten types of martial arts (boxing kick boxing Mai tie kaung fu just to name a few are not going to help you) your screwed.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #24
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

If you talk to people that have actual experience stabbing and slicing people, you'll find out one of the first things they noticed was how hard it was to actually stab a human. Martial arts movies make us believe it's just fast strikes, but it is fairly hard to stick a knife I to a human being, which is why knife fighters many times lose their grip and cut their own hands.

If you want a bit of realism, try stabbing a side of beef or pork. You will be surprised and you might injure yourself or break your knife. As with any other martial training, it's best to make it as realistic as possible. And for those that like ancient Chinese sayings, remember "When two tigers fight, one is always killed, and the other is always injured." Never forget this when considering a knife fight.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #25

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I would always choose a knife over empty hand tactics . You have a better chance of scaring away the attacker if you are holding a knife . You have greater reach with a knife . Almost anyone, regardless of training, should be more effective with a knife than with empty hands .

Swinging a rifle as a club gives you greater reach and is probably preferable to closing in with a knife .

The Kabar, in the right hands, is great in a fight . To cite just one war example, in the book Charlie Company : What Vietnam Did To Us by Newsweek editors, there is the account of Firebase Rita being over-run by NVA troops . A Sergeant is described as " locked in hand-to-hand combat with an NVA soldier, methodically cutting him to death with a knife" ( presumably a Kabar ) .

Folding knives are slower and clumsier to bring into action . See these links :

Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #26

I would prefer not to pull my knife. If i stabbed you it will take time for you to bless out. If I got control of the knife hand and locked in a choke it want take long.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #27
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I would prefer not to pull my knife. If i stabbed you it will take time for you to bless out. If I got control of the knife hand and locked in a choke it want take long.
This is what happens if you stab someone with a blade blessed by a priest or dipped in Holy Water.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 922 Posts

Here is a great demonstration of knife attack/defense. If you think 6 months of any training will help, get a lawyer and make a will. Step 1, RUN!!!! Step 2, refer to step 1!!!!

http://youtu.be/E61jnJe_1SI

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 922 Posts

I want to add a little more....

In case you must face a knife attack you DO NOT attempt to disarm the attacker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a gun fight do you try to shoot the gun out of the guys hand or do you shoot the guy holding the gun. The exact same applies to a knife attack. Hit the attacker in the throat, eyeballs or groin. If he can't see or breath you have a chance at surviving. Ultimately the winner will be whoever is more ruthless and violent...

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #30

He can still swing a knife blind. I'm a purple belt in jiu jitsu under Eric silver. If you focus on controlling his knife more than trying to stab him you have a much better chance.