Hand to hand questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Hand to hand questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Hand to hand questions

Well not entirely, I hope this is the right section. I have a few questions on what one would do in a few situations.

Situation 1- You have a few months (6-8) experience in krav mag or kali, but little or no experience in knife fighting.

You are in some "empty" house and your doing cqb and all you have is a fixed blade knife Ka-Bar style. You walk in a room and someone comes at you with a knife, Do you A pull your knife and fight or B try to use the knife disarming skills you learned in your martial arts training?

scenario 2
You were just in battle and your weapon is dry and you seek cover in a seemingly empty building, a enemy combatant or soldier comes at you but he's unarmed and all you have is a empty gun and your knife. Do you pull your knife and fight or keep it in its sheath because the guy could possibly take it from you or try beating him with your rifle??

Odd questions but it kind of got me thinking, is it better to use your fists or a knife you dont know how to fight with? Is it better to leave a knife out of a fight because you could lose it, or pull it to give you an "advantage"?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well a couple of things to think about. outside of a few very specially trained individuals, most of what you see or hear about knifefighting is mostly crap.

if you are to the point that you are down to nothing more than a knife to defend yourself, accept the fact that even if you win the fight, you are probably more than likely going to still get cut or injured in that fight.

quite possibly, if instead of using the knife, the prudent and more logical solution may be to retreat if possible. simply put, even if your opponent dies first and you bleed out hours later, did you really win the fight?

personally i would never resort to a knife or trying to disarm someone with a knife unless i had simply no other options left to take. IMO, it's simply a foolish endeavor that has the potential for disaster if trying to survive.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Situation 1- ...You are in some "empty" house and your doing cqb and all you have is a fixed blade knife Ka-Bar style...
Real world answer: I would not be doing cqb with only a knife. Especially one still in the sheath. Plus that puts me as the aggressor as I do not have the authority to be doing CQB except in my home. And in my home, I have a few firearms loaded so I don't need the knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
scenario 2-...Do you pull your knife and fight or keep it in its sheath because the guy could possibly take it from you or try beating him with your rifle??
Real world answer: The rifle pointed at you, whether empty or loaded looks loaded when pointed at your head.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 03-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7195 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

What is cqb?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
What is cqb?
Close Quarter Battle.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Ok what my knife fighting instructor always said that "the most dangerous person to knife fight with is an inexperienced one as they are wildly unpredictable" In all actuality if your fighting with knives you are going to get cut almost 99% of the time. I don't know Krav Maga, but I do know mechanically applied control holds and Army combatives and I would still only tangle with a guy with a knife as an absolute last resort. If I have an empty rifle and he has a knife I am going to beat his brains in thats for sure I just have to be careful about it and tire him out while keeping him at bay with my longer reach.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2821

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Ok what my knife fighting instructor always said that "the most dangerous person to knife fight with is an inexperienced one as they are wildly unpredictable" In all actuality if your fighting with knives you are going to get cut almost 99% of the time. I don't know Krav Maga, but I do know mechanically applied control holds and Army combatives and I would still only tangle with a guy with a knife as an absolute last resort. If I have an empty rifle and he has a knife I am going to beat his brains in thats for sure I just have to be careful about it and tire him out while keeping him at bay with my longer reach.
I second that!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #8

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Default Hand to hand questions

Most people are not extremely informed when it comes to blade combat.

That is one of the reasons you hear of murders where victim is "stabbed over 37 times" or something similar. The common answer is "it was a crime of passion or evil". Not always the case. When the killers technique was learned from watching Friday the 13th, it may take 37 little stab holes for the person to bleed enough to lose consciousness.

The most important thing in a fight is position. It is hard to gain favorable position while flailing a knife with one hand. I would recommend gaining control of opponent then going for your knife. Target main arteries in, neck, inner thigh, inner arms. It does not take a large butcher knife with 12" blade to be effective. A small tactical folder is enough.

One deep cut is better than 10 superficial slices. Remember that slicing muscles and tendons in a forearm will make it impossible to grip with that hand. Good for you, bad for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 03-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

If I ever find myself in a situation where all I have is a knife for protection things have gone very wrong indeed. I make it a point to carry enough cartridges to go "pew pew pew pew pew" a very long time.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Liked 2515 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

I would try to avoid revealing my blade, in any event.