Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gunsite Academy Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gunsite Academy Thoughts?

Have any of you done any training at the Gunsite Academy in Arizona? I was thinking of doing the pistol training.

It is over $1k for about a week's worth of training.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

no I have not tried Gunsite, I am a member of Front sight though (life member) and I'm sure there are some differences but also fine quality training nonetheless.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-29-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
no I have not tried Gunsite, I am a member of Front sight though (life member) and I'm sure there are some differences but also fine quality training nonetheless.
How do like Front Sight? Looks to be similar pricing. Front Sight's website seems a lot more "Vegas-y" with all the glitz and infomercial style. It just seems like they are really trying to sell you. Yes I know it is near Vegas. Life member? What benefit do you get out of that? Cheaper training course pricing?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrags View Post
How do like Front Sight? Looks to be similar pricing. Front Sight's website seems a lot more "Vegas-y" with all the glitz and infomercial style. It just seems like they are really trying to sell you. Yes I know it is near Vegas. Life member? What benefit do you get out of that? Cheaper training course pricing?
glitz, vegas-y the DVD is where that ends the range is everything but glitzie

but you will find that no matter how much I like it there will be those you will bitch about it. I go about once a year. last year i made it twice. as for being a life member it has it perks like discounts in the pro-shop, in town at the hotels.
the instructors are very Professional and if you like to shoot, you will go through about 1000 rds. over the week-end with that many magazine loads the thumb take a beatting

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

I know Rifles Only out side of kingsville tx and shoot rite in Alabama are very good places. Tiger McKee the owner of shootrite is an excellent instructor and has a very good book called The tail of two guns. That I think every shooter should read. And Jacob Bynum the owner of rifles only is one of the most knowledgable and nicest guys I've meet. They are both top notch facilities. Check them out on line.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a perfect location for a site like that - - - right off Interstate 70 half way between Indianapolis and the Ohio line.

300 acres, valley 538 yards long and 150 yards wide with banks 35' to 50' tall I just need some like minded people with ambition and some money to put it all together.

I own Greensboro Sand & Gravel so I have all the equipment needed for the construction but gravel sales have just about broke me and I'm not going into debt to get this going and with diesel at $4.00 gal I'm moving slowly.

If any of you are interested go to 39 degrees 52' 12.74" North 85 degrees 28' 13.93" West and check out the site.

Send me a PM and I will be glad to discuss the project.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are there any other good academies that I am missing that I should be looking at?

Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Have any of you done any training at the Gunsite Academy in Arizona? I was thinking of doing the pistol training.

It is over $1k for about a week's worth of training.
Go see Clint and Heidi at Thunder Ranch.

Gunsite has lost sight of what it once was. They are SO dogmatic there...it is almost like a cult.

Clint and Heidi are personal friends, and you get UNPARRALELLED training there.

As a trainer myself, and former LE trainer (still do it sometimes) I can tell you from experience that....Clint is the one guy who has the whole package. I never fail to learn more from him than anyone else with whom I have trained and studied. Rob Pincus is another of the great ones. Wes Doss is another who is very very good.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Are there any other good academies that I am missing that I should be looking at?
Costa, Larry Vickers, VTAC, Magpul Dynamics (I think they still do it), Travis Haley. There are others but those where the first couple I thought of.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I hear good things about the USSA in Tulsa. Have yet to check them out personally.