Guns stashed on top of a refrigerators - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Guns stashed on top of a refrigerators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #31
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8439

This is what could happen if a gun isn't on your person or locked.

http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/indiana/2014/05/17/NW-Indiana-boy-finds-gun-fatally-shoots-self.html

Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #32

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Happened here yesterday too. Supposedly, there were no guns in the home? Careless Guests? We'll have to wait and see.

http://www.ksat.com/news/bexar-county-medical-examiner-girl-6-dies-from-gunshot-wound/26050010

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

we have guns out about the house. if friends with kids come over we de-weaponize the house. if i had kids i would have them out all the same just train the kids on proper gun safety take them shooting and never make guns a Mystery To Be Explored.

the only reason kids get fascinated by firearms is because they are not trained to use them and not trained on gun safety.

its why you always hear of these incidents in cities usually amongst political correct or drug addled parents and never in homes that teach kids safety and teach firearms use

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
That's one stupid 14 year old. 14 and you're not smart enough not to give a gun to a 2 year old.
So the weapon owner is not responsible? living the weapon in the open ,unlock and unsecured is ok,wow.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #35
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
we have guns out about the house. if friends with kids come over we de-weaponize the house. if i had kids i would have them out all the same just train the kids on proper gun safety take them shooting and never make guns a Mystery To Be Explored.

the only reason kids get fascinated by firearms is because they are not trained to use them and not trained on gun safety.

its why you always hear of these incidents in cities usually amongst political correct or drug addled parents and never in homes that teach kids safety and teach firearms use
jon. None of what i am about to post is meant as a bash to you or yours. each situation is different, and in your case the plan you have works perfectly for your situation. No offense meant, and hopefully, none taken.

Those who know me know my feelings on firearms left lying around out in the open, so I won't go there. What a person does in their own home is their business, but a cautionary question for all parents who own firearms to think over is this:

Even if you have taken the mystery away for your own kids and trained them right, can the same be said for ALL of their friends?

I trust my daughter enough that at 16 YOA I gave her a gun cabinet so she wouldn't need to find us to get the keys to our safe to go shooting or hunting. I know how she was raised, how we trained her, and that she is a least as safe as her mother and i are with any firearm in the house. She has earned our trust. Her friends are like bonus children to us, but given that I do not know if they are safe and proficient, we do not leave an unsecured firearm out when they are here. not worth the risk IMHO.

Our rule is: If it's not on me it's under lock and key.

i have seen first hand what a N\D with a loss of life does to a family. i spent Christmas Eve of my senior year of high school burying a classmate that i loved like a brother. He was trained, safe, and proficient with his dad's firearms. The friend who came over to visit had never even handled one. Both the shooter and the victim were 19 YOA when it happened.

This is not my only reason for locking them up, my parents raised me to do this, as did theirs. Yes, part of my cautioning tale is from the emotions I still feel to this day over what happened. I just don't want anyone else to go through what we (his family, the shooter's family, and mine) went through. An ounce of prevention is worth 100 pounds of cure when it comes to our families.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #36
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

An ounce of prevention because there is no cure.

I agree with the above. If there's even a snowball's chance in hell, I'm going to prevent it. A life is too valuable to take a risk with.

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #37
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
An ounce of prevention because there is no cure.

I agree with the above. If there's even a snowball's chance in hell, I'm going to prevent it. A life is too valuable to take a risk with.
QFT WOC, QFT.

See you again when it's time Frank. Still Miss ya Bro.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #38
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
QFT WOC, QFT.

See you again when it's time Frank. Still Miss ya Bro.
If someone dies from a gun accident, I don't want to have anything AT ALL to do with it. The burden would ruin the rest of my life. I believe in taking no chances at all with my firearms when it comes to anyone else. On me or locked. Even though my granddaughter knows gun safety. I would NEVER take a chance with her life. I love her too much. Kids do weird things sometimes and some are more apt to follow rules than others.
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #39
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If someone dies from a gun accident, I don't want to have anything AT ALL to do with it. The burden would ruin the rest of my life. I believe in taking no chances at all with my firearms when it comes to anyone else. On me or locked. Even though my granddaughter knows gun safety. I would NEVER take a chance with her life. I love her too much. Kids do weird things sometimes and some are more apt to follow rules than others.
Same here WOC. That's a situation that is completely preventable, and as such it should never happen. As I said above, on me or under lock and key. It's not worth the risk, and the pain that follows.

People Like This 
Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 AM   #40

Liked 4714 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Jon

Don't take this the wrong way but that part about "if you had kids" is IMHO about the dumbest thing I've seen posted on FTF yet.

As a father with kids ages ranging between 22 and 3 I can tell you that the juvenile mind does NOT comprehend a world without do overs. I don't care how much Eddie Eagle training you feed them.

This is not meant to deride you, but it IS certainly meant to let any new gun owners around these parts know that the label of "moderator" does not always mean the poster knows what they are talking about.

On your hip, or under lock and key, is the ONLY safe way to keep loaded guns in a home with small children.

PERIOD.

Tack