Guns stashed on top of a refrigerators - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Guns stashed on top of a refrigerators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 11

These adults need to be charged with child neglect and some kind of murder charge. We have had at least two children in my are get killed by another child because somehow they got a hold of a gun. I'm all for gun rights but this has got to stop.

As mentioned the gun belongs on your hip or locked up, especially with small kids in the house.

A year or so ago we had an Active duty soldier that left his daughter sleeping on the bed. Next to the bad on the night stand was a loaded pistol, not sure the caliber. I think she was 4 or 5 years old. Anyway he went outside to talk to a neighbor. A little while later they hear a gun shot and he finds her dead next to the bed. One of the things he said in the interview was "She was sleeping when I left her". Kids wake up, sorry. Don't remember exactly what happened other than hearing that he was discharged from the military. Not sure what other charges he had but they were not good.

Myself and my brother and sister were brought up around guns. We were taught safety and not to touch them when mom or dad was not around. We always knew where the key for the gun cabinet was but never had the inclination to "play" with them with out permission. Once we got old enough we were taught how to shoot them. None of us ever had any problems with guns.

I think that is part of the problem today. The media has people so scared that they don't teach their kids gun safety anymore.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9626

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
If only the gun had not been left unattended and unlocked with children in the house.

I imagine the 2 year old climbed up and got it.
You beat me to it Winds. On one of the memory cards from my camera I have a picture of my 2 YO nephew sitting on top of the fridge in the Erie House. He climbed up to get to the cookie jar via the counter and one of the pantry shelves. We found this out about 4 hours after I found him on top of the fridge because I set up a trail camera to see if he would do it again.

Needless to say, I took both sis and BIL over to the computer, and played it back for them. He now understands why I keep the guns under lock and key, with the exception of the one I am carrying at the time, and why I don't store anything that can be dangerous in any manner but locked up. He now has the old gun cabinet that I was going to sell sitting in their bed room. Lesson learned the easy way, thank God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
You are playing with fire my friend.

The child's mind does not comprehend a world without "do overs"... Under lock and key, our on your hip, is the only responsible way to store guns in homes with small children.

Tack
I agree Tack, but it's not just the small children you have to worry about. I had a friend who was 19 get shot accidentally by a mutual friend who was 18. the 19 YO was raised around guns, and taught direarms safety from a young age. The 18 YO was not. the likelyhood of a problem is greater, but not exclusive to, with young children.

Not to sound like a PSA, but if it's not on you or under your control it should always be locked up. I trust my 17 YO daughter with a key to my cabinet and her guns are locked up in her cabinet (mom and I also have a key). I raised her around firearms, and safety lessons began at a young age, but there is an unknown factor that is always accounted for with us. I don't know the knowledge level or mental level of all of her friends. We don't take chances when It could endanger the safety of ourselves and others. Not worth the risk IMHO.

The OP is a sad situation, and the adults will be charged. This is a case of negligence at best, and something far worse in all likelyhood. According to the article, the oldest kid (14) pulled it down from the fridge so they could plat with it. If the older kids had been taught firearms safety, this probably never would have happened. The boyfriend also should have known better than to leave a loaded pistol laying around unattended in the first place. Either way, it's a sad situation.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

manta Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 545 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 170

I think anyone with any sense should know not to leave a loaded firearm anywhere that children could gain access to it. Or anyone not authorised by the owner.

Quote:
Myself and my brother and sister were brought up around guns. We were taught safety and not to touch them when mom or dad was not around. We always knew where the key for the gun cabinet was but never had the inclination to "play" with them with out permission. Once we got old enough we were taught how to shoot them. None of us ever had any problems with guns.
Every child is different you followed what you were taught, other children might not , children can be taught firearms safety without them having access to them unsupervised why take the chance.

Last edited by manta; 04-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
You are playing with fire my friend.

The child's mind does not comprehend a world without "do overs"... Under lock and key, our on your hip, is the only responsible way to store guns in homes with small children.

Tack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
You beat me to it Winds. On one of the memory cards from my camera I have a picture of my 2 YO nephew sitting on top of the fridge in the Erie House. He climbed up to get to the cookie jar via the counter and one of the pantry shelves. We found this out about 4 hours after I found him on top of the fridge because I set up a trail camera to see if he would do it again.

Needless to say, I took both sis and BIL over to the computer, and played it back for them. He now understands why I keep the guns under lock and key, with the exception of the one I am carrying at the time, and why I don't store anything that can be dangerous in any manner but locked up. He now has the old gun cabinet that I was going to sell sitting in their bed room. Lesson learned the easy way, thank God.

I agree Tack, but it's not just the small children you have to worry about. I had a friend who was 19 get shot accidentally by a mutual friend who was 18. the 19 YO was raised around guns, and taught direarms safety from a young age. The 18 YO was not. the likelyhood of a problem is greater, but not exclusive to, with young children.

Not to sound like a PSA, but if it's not on you or under your control it should always be locked up. I trust my 17 YO daughter with a key to my cabinet and her guns are locked up in her cabinet (mom and I also have a key). I raised her around firearms, and safety lessons began at a young age, but there is an unknown factor that is always accounted for with us. I don't know the knowledge level or mental level of all of her friends. We don't take chances when It could endanger the safety of ourselves and others. Not worth the risk IMHO.

The OP is a sad situation, and the adults will be charged. This is a case of negligence at best, and something far worse in all likelyhood. According to the article, the oldest kid (14) pulled it down from the fridge so they could plat with it. If the older kids had been taught firearms safety, this probably never would have happened. The boyfriend also should have known better than to leave a loaded pistol laying around unattended in the first place. Either way, it's a sad situation.
Yes, it is not worth the risk and there are no do overs. Even kids who are taught firearms safety are still children with thinking skills that are very different than adults. Yes, firearms safety should be taught but I would never leave a gun unattended if I had a child living in this house. Even good kids make mistakes.

I wouldn't never want to say, "I wish I would have......." or "If only I........" It's just not worth a child's life.

And not all refrigerators are free standing. Like Kfox said, a child could pull a chair over to my counter, get on the counter and reach the top of the refrigerator.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
If only the gun had not been left unattended and unlocked with children in the house.

Alternatively, "If only the children had not been left unattended with a gun in the house".

That climb was probably not instantaneous and maybe less than silent.

Watch the kids; they move more than the firearms.

I'm not a parent and don't have children over; it keeps my firearms safer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-08-2014 at 08:25 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

When our baby girl was 3 1/2, she developed a taste for fish sticks. Straight out of the freezer. We found her tugging a kitchen chair across the floor, climbing up, opening the freezer, getting a frozen fish stick out, sitting in the chair, and happily munching on her fish-sicle.

How many people "child proof" their kitchen by adding cabinet latches to keep the rug rats from drinking the furniture polish? Just about anyone with a grain of sense. Leaving a loaded firearm where a child can get to it? Felony child neglect at best.

Without argument, children should be trained- guns, knives, sharp tools, etc. But when kids are too young to BE trained, the dangerous things need to be secured.

Yes, if the gun was a.357 magnum, and not a .357 Sig, it was probably a revolver. But there is a lot unanswered on this one, and I do not want to speculate.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #17

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:

I do agree that had they been watched the way they should, all would be fine. For a little one to enter a room with a gun and NOT have someone notice and act immediately is inexcusable.

But the climbing...I don't see it this way. You just don't climb up a refrigerator. Especially a 2 year old. Kids get into what they can see. They don't just assume there is something on top of the refrig and climb up there. Then climb down with a 357 handgun. I just don't think so. Kids can get into a lot of things but not climbing a fridge. That gun was left reachable and the kid got it. Mama didn't take action and the results are history.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 04-08-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #18

Liked 2754 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

I'd like to meet the 2 year old capable of manipulating a revolver. I think someone else shot the girl. Why not blame it on the baby, she can't be punished for it.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #19

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

The article did mention swabbing everyone's hands and the baby was the one with gun powder residue and burns. But I do agree that especially with a 6" barrel is a lot for a 2 year to hold...and climb down a refrig with it too...I don't think so.

Don't think we have the whole story yet

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9626

According to the article the 14 year old son got the gun from the top of the fridge, not the 2 year old. What bothers me about the story is that the mother did not tell her boyfriend to secure the pistol or leave it unloaded with the bullets left elsewhere. That would have at least lessened the chances of something going wrong. There is more to this story, and I think we will never know the full story on this incident.

As to the there is no way a 2 YO could pull the trigger on a DA revolver, I do not know the make and model myself, but I can assume that an 8 inch barreled DA revolver would likely be capable of firing SA as well. My GP 100 has about an 8 pound pull in DA, but it also has about a 2 pound pull in SA. If one of the kids (or the 2 YO) cocked it first, I figure that a toddler could pull the trigger on his own.

Either way, there is still no replacement for securing your firearm when not in direct control of it. If it's not on me, it's under lock and key.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This