Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > guns and children

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,282
Liked 1244 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB View Post
so being a single mom and a new gun owner i am obsessing over were i put this thing wete it will protect my family from others and themselves. several people have stated that their children "know better" than to touch a gun . personly i dont rely on my child knowing better to touch my phone let alone a gun
I have been ask, in almost every class I teach, 'When do I start teaching the kids about guns?' The answer is simple, 'When they start asking about them.'
I call it the 'Forbidden fruit syndrome', if you tell a human 'thou shall not' they must go try it to see why!!!! And kids are ten times worse than adults!
It is far better to 'gun proof your kids than to kid proof your guns', but you still have to take precautions for the kids who may be 'visitors' in your home!
When my youngest son ask, at about 3 yrs old, "Dad how do guns kill people?" I told him they make a hole in your body and all your blood will drain out and you die. I them said let me show you. We lived rural and I took a gallon milk jug and filled it with water and took it out on our back deck and we stood about 5 feet away and shot it with my duty gun (S&W M19 with 125GR Federal JHP's) and when that jug exploded we were booth covered with water. It did not 'scare' him away from guns but he did have a very healthy respect for them. He is now in his mid 30's and he still remembers that!!!
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
racer_x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arkadelphia, AR
Posts: 920
Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Default

teach ,teach teach i started with mine very young. My son walks around with a savage mk2 with no bolt, thats his training gun he learned to clean and carry that gun long before he every shot one.But i also didnt want them going bat crazy evertime they saw one i call it the OMG sendrom. When we go to deer camp me and him walk around camp an look at some guns, he knows he cant touch he likes to know whos is whos and the cool looking ones he calls it lol .

+1 for the biometric

__________________
racer_x is offline  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

But even so, please always keep the gun locked up when not on you.
I don't care how well your kids behave. I don't care how responsible they are. All it takes is one tragic mistake to ruin the lives of all involved (and their families). If you keep a loaded gun in the house, it must be secured. If it's not for self defense, it needs to be unloaded and secured.

Do I think my kids would touch an unattended gun? No, but I wouldn't swear on it. More importantly, I don't know what their friends would do,especially those who live in a house without guns and I'm simply not going to take a chance.

More than half of the homes on my street have guns and almost all of them have carry permits. What I don't know is how diligent they are regarding the way they secure their guns.

Personally, I keep my home defense gun in a strongbox with a pushbutton lock. I can have it in my hands before the bad guys reach the top of my stairs. All other guns are unloaded and in my safe. I keep loaded magazines for most of my guns so separating them is not a big handicap.

I also believe that kids need trigger time to take the mystery out of the picture but that's a story for another day...
__________________
KansasCandR is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

This is by no means a rant on parenting and certainly not focused on you but I can tell you what has worked for me.

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

I fired his M1911A1 back in 1955 when I was only 9. I went into the woods hunting with him at 10.

That is why I like using the following;

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they'll think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and lock the guns you have in your house but also give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjfuller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: oakfield,ny
Posts: 4,181
Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Default

i learned at a young age. i was shown eddie eagle, and also had lots of hands on instruction. i pulled the trigger for the first time when i was 3. that being said im sure i was being taught from the moment my family thought i could understand.

i have always gone over the rules, and eddie eagle is watched alot with my just turned 4 yr old boy,

when he was three i tested him several times by leaving an EMPTY,UNLOADED pistol out and watching him around the corner. he did great at not touching it. went over looked. and walked away... now i just gotta ge him to remember to tell me when he sees one. but so far so good.

its all about repitition, rules. he has toy guns and he only plays with them according to the real guns safety rules.

def get the safe. they are good to at least make it hard for things like the previous story above.


my son watching eddie eagle... lol



__________________
I have been a silent witness
to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hour comes
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 11-05-2012 at 10:55 PM.
jjfuller1 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
This is by no means a rant on parenting and certainly not focused on you but I can tell you what has worked for me.

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.
Yes, yes, yes! My wife thought that I was crazy when I started showing my guns to my daughter when she was only two or three years old. I'm pretty sure my daughter was the first four year old at her preschool sporting NRA stickers on her backpack! She's nine years old now and she's been to the range a few times. I started her with a 22LR rifle on sandbags as well as a 22LR pistol. I saw her go from hesitant and nervous to excited and giddy within 10 minutes. I doubt that she shot more than 40 rounds and I shot less than 10 (this was HER day). We live about 45 minutes from the range and I think she slept for 40 of them. Later that day, I overheard her telling her best friend about how much fun she had. I was very pleased with her first day at the range but I don't know if she realized what impressed me most. She made sure to carefully check the safety each time she picked up the gun. She showed clear every time, carefully placing the gun down on the bench with the action facing up and the bolt locked back. She used the proper terminology for everything. What impressed me most was the desire to learn and the maturity she displayed.

I took a picture of her holding her target and I have never seen a bigger smile than the one she wore that day.
__________________
KansasCandR is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I have a 2yr old daughter that has already begun learning gun safety. No, she doesn't shoot guns yet, she is not allowed to even touch them yet. What she does do is spend time with me weekly in the basement while i am working at my gun bench. She plays with her dolls, balls and whatnot while daddy "Works" (plays) with his guns. She is not even curious at this point when i open the safe and remove a firearm to tinker with. Im not suggesting that she wont ever be, just that by now she knows the routine. She knows daddy's guns are "not toys". If i leave my safe door even cracked while at my bench she is sure to tell me that it needs to be closed. The other day a friend was over looking at a rifle. She told him that those were daddy's and "don't touch". I cannot wait until she gets older and I am able to take her to the range. For now we practice gun safety.

__________________
chiefrude1 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 21,285
Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCandR View Post
I don't care how well your kids behave. I don't care how responsible they are. All it takes is one tragic mistake to ruin the lives of all involved (and their families). If you keep a loaded gun in the house, it must be secured. If it's not for self defense, it needs to be unloaded and secured.

Do I think my kids would touch an unattended gun? No, but I wouldn't swear on it. More importantly, I don't know what their friends would do,especially those who live in a house without guns and I'm simply not going to take a chance.

More than half of the homes on my street have guns and almost all of them have carry permits. What I don't know is how diligent they are regarding the way they secure their guns.

Personally, I keep my home defense gun in a strongbox with a pushbutton lock. I can have it in my hands before the bad guys reach the top of my stairs. All other guns are unloaded and in my safe. I keep loaded magazines for most of my guns so separating them is not a big handicap.

I also believe that kids need trigger time to take the mystery out of the picture but that's a story for another day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
This is by no means a rant on parenting and certainly not focused on you but I can tell you what has worked for me.

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

I fired his M1911A1 back in 1955 when I was only 9. I went into the woods hunting with him at 10.

That is why I like using the following;

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they'll think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and lock the guns you have in your house but also give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.
These two posters said it all. Exactly!!
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 21,285
Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCandR View Post
I don't care how well your kids behave. I don't care how responsible they are. All it takes is one tragic mistake to ruin the lives of all involved (and their families). If you keep a loaded gun in the house, it must be secured. If it's not for self defense, it needs to be unloaded and secured.

Do I think my kids would touch an unattended gun? No, but I wouldn't swear on it. More importantly, I don't know what their friends would do,especially those who live in a house without guns and I'm simply not going to take a chance.

More than half of the homes on my street have guns and almost all of them have carry permits. What I don't know is how diligent they are regarding the way they secure their guns.

Personally, I keep my home defense gun in a strongbox with a pushbutton lock. I can have it in my hands before the bad guys reach the top of my stairs. All other guns are unloaded and in my safe. I keep loaded magazines for most of my guns so separating them is not a big handicap.

I also believe that kids need trigger time to take the mystery out of the picture but that's a story for another day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
This is by no means a rant on parenting and certainly not focused on you but I can tell you what has worked for me.

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

I fired his M1911A1 back in 1955 when I was only 9. I went into the woods hunting with him at 10.

That is why I like using the following;

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they'll think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and lock the guns you have in your house but also give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.
These two posters said it all. Exactly!!

Unfortunately, I didn't learn these facts until my kids were grown. I feel so bad I didn't know and understand guns sooner. But I am handling it way differently with my granddaughter.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arashid630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 123
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCandR

Yes, yes, yes! My wife thought that I was crazy when I started showing my guns to my daughter when she was only two or three years old. I'm pretty sure my daughter was the first four year old at her preschool sporting NRA stickers on her backpack! She's nine years old now and she's been to the range a few times. I started her with a 22LR rifle on sandbags as well as a 22LR pistol. I saw her go from hesitant and nervous to excited and giddy within 10 minutes. I doubt that she shot more than 40 rounds and I shot less than 10 (this was HER day). We live about 45 minutes from the range and I think she slept for 40 of them. Later that day, I overheard her telling her best friend about how much fun she had. I was very pleased with her first day at the range but I don't know if she realized what impressed me most. She made sure to carefully check the safety each time she picked up the gun. She showed clear every time, carefully placing the gun down on the bench with the action facing up and the bolt locked back. She used the proper terminology for everything. What impressed me most was the desire to learn and the maturity she displayed.

I took a picture of her holding her target and I have never seen a bigger smile than the one she wore that day.
Awesome!! I can't wait till my kids are old enough for me to take them to the Range
__________________
arashid630 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Even Our Children Aren't Safe! USEBOTHHANDS Politics, Religion and Controversy 20 10-05-2012 11:16 PM
Gun Storage and Children Tackleberry1 Training & Safety 43 02-29-2012 12:39 PM
Children and Guns WomenofCaliber Training & Safety 29 04-24-2009 09:04 PM
Islam and our children Chester Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 06-10-2008 03:59 AM