guns and children - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > guns and children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB View Post
so being a single mom and a new gun owner i am obsessing over were i put this thing wete it will protect my family from others and themselves. several people have stated that their children "know better" than to touch a gun . personly i dont rely on my child knowing better to touch my phone let alone a gun
There is no place you could hide your firearm that a child will not find ... even in a safe. Your best options are,

1. Educate your child on the safety and proper use of the firearm - do not use fear but instead teach them respect
2. In your case of owning a pistol, get a biometric safe - it will at the least make it very difficult for your child to crack open

I grew up in a house with parents who forbade guns ... hell my mother went ape**** when I bought myself a compound bow at 16. Yet they never once saw the irony in the fact that Dad had all manner of dangerous power tools, equipment and materials in the garage (i was using his table saw at the age of 8, started a brush fire with gasoline at the age of 9, cut down my 1st tree before I was 10)

kids will be kids ... educate them as best you can

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 11-04-2012 at 06:17 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

i will deffinately get the bio safe . and think about how to educate her. i remember my dad cleaning guns but dont ever remember seeing them around.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
i will deffinately get the bio safe . and think about how to educate her. i remember my dad cleaning guns but dont ever remember seeing them around.
they have safety courses for children as well. might be an option. every child matures at different ages and you are going to be the judge as to when you feel your child is ready to learn.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #14

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
one thing that is nearly universal with kids ... they will imitate what they see. If your daughter sees that you own a firearm she will want to be like mommy. Maybe put some thought into getting her one for her own - not a real firearm just something that lets her "feel" like she is "being like mommy"

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #15

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Check out the Eddie Eagle Programs for parents.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/infoparents.asp

Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #16

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
Check out the Eddie Eagle Programs for parents.

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/infoparents.asp
This is where you should start and I'll tell you why...

I'm a city boy, having been born in Brooklyn, NY and living in the city or suburban NJ until I was 18. When I left NJ I had only touched a gun a couple of times and I had never fired one.

My first time touching a gun was very nearly my last. I was in elementary school at the time. My best friend knew where his father kept a very nice revolver. One day, while we were playing "Army Games - Cold War edition" (a game we hastily created when we were bored and tired of "Cops & Robbers" and "Cowboys & Indians"), my friend said" Do you want to see a real gun?" What happened next is very predictable. We snuck into the master bedroom and pulled a step stool out of the closet. Within seconds, I was holding a beautiful presentation box, the contents of which held what I now know to be a 357 Magnum. A partial box of ammo was there too. My friend told me to grab it and point it like we'd seen in so many cowboy movies. Pointing it right at my friend's chest, my finger resting softly on the trigger, I was amazed by the size and weight of the gun. Suddenly, we heard someone coming up the stairs. In a panic, my friend grabbed the gun and got everything up on the shelf just before the bedroom door opened. Needing a good excuse we told him that our sisters were playing "hide & seek". We were told that the bedroom was off limits so we ran out to play in the yard. A few days later I found out that the gun was loaded. Had my friend's father not come upstairs at the right moment, I completely believe that I would have shot my friend at point blank range.

I started teaching my kids about firearms safety when they were two years old. I believe that the Eddie Eagle program should be mandatory for all children. It will save lives, possibly the life of someone you know.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

Ignorance kills. Educate yourself and your daughter at the same time with the NRA Eddie Eagle course. The find a Hunter safety course near you and take that even if you never plan on going hunting. It has a great deal of education on gun safety. Continue to reach out to people near you and hopefully someone will step up and help you out. You didn't mention where you are located. Maybe you are near someone here on the Forum who might be able to help out?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Kansas that is scary, but happens so often! and not always with your outcome!

I'm in PA, near Pittsburgh. I do have some friends that will be taking me out. I just ordered the Program.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB

I'm in PA, near Pittsburgh. I do have some friends that will be taking me out. I just ordered the Program.
I have taken the program that is being suggested, and it was well worth the time and money.
I also have two kids and I insist on them taking courses. Even if they don't like shooting they have to be educated about the way you plan on defending your home (hopefully none of us ever have to.) Just like fire safety. Good luck
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9754

Quote:

But even so, please always keep the gun locked up when not on you.