Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > guns and children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default guns and children

so being a single mom and a new gun owner i am obsessing over were i put this thing wete it will protect my family from others and themselves. several people have stated that their children "know better" than to touch a gun . personly i dont rely on my child knowing better to touch my phone let alone a gun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16918 Times on 9805 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB View Post
so being a single mom and a new gun owner i am obsessing over were i put this thing wete it will protect my family from others and themselves. several people have stated that their children "know better" than to touch a gun . personly i dont rely on my child knowing better to touch my phone let alone a gun
i grew up learning about firearms from an early age, so there wasn't any curiousity with them. that is what gets children hurt or killed, curiousity. depending on their ages, maybe it's time ot teach them about firearms and the dangers of them.

firearms are tools and need to be respected. if handled improperly or not respected they can hurt or kill you. this is what was taught to me.

invest in a biometric gun safe too.
People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i grew up learning about firearms from an early age, so there wasn't any curiousity with them. that is what gets children hurt or killed, curiousity. depending on their ages, maybe it's time ot teach them about firearms and the dangers of them.

firearms are tools and need to be respected. if handled improperly or not respected they can hurt or kill you. this is what was taught to me.

invest in a biometric gun safe too.
Exactly. I grew up on a farm in Idaho. We all knew about my Dads, and then all my brothers rifles in the broom closet just in case a Coyote came around. And as Axxe says, get a nice strong lock box and get it bolted to the wall or floor.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #4

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You refer to the firearm as "this thing". I have to wonder if you are ready to own a firearm? The best thing you can do is rethink gun ownership. If you decide to keep a firearm complete the NRA Home Defense course. This covers the questions you have posted.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #5

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

or buy a strong padlock and run it through the slide or cylinder window. keep one key in the house, bury the other one. Keep the key with you on a necklace where your holster was going to hang.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would agree 110% with the biometric safe. This will keep your firearm safe yet accessible if you need to take it out to protect your family. The second suggestion (as stated above) go take a class on firearms safety. Until you take the class, you (or anyone else that is new to firearms) probably aren't ready to use it safely in the home. I would also STRONGLY suggest getting a membership to your local range and shoot often. Going to a range and actually firing your weapon on a monthly (or more) will build your confidence and safe handling skills.

As far as the children go, I am not going to tell you what you need to do there. My two girls (3 and 5) know what a gun is and that it is VERY dangerous for them to touch. I feel they should know what a gun is and that they should never touch it and get an adult immediately. On the other end of it, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your weapon is securely locked up and that it is not accessible to your kids.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lets see children only " know better" if you teach them given its a "deadly force" the age of the children is a huge factor in teaching them about weapons, so how old are your children?
I will say a weapon is only as good as how fast you can get to them. Do you really wanna be juggling keys padlock & ammo god forbid the occasion arises? I doubt that... Biometric safe is your best bet & practice room clearing & loading mags or speed loaders is gonna make you efficient as well... The NRA course does sound great.... Even if you don't wanna carry its a great idea to take a conceal carry course as its mostly about safety & scenario plus rules... Hope we all were some sort of help

Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

i have joined the range and enlisted quite a fruends trained in firearms to each spend time with me practicing snd i wont have the gun loaded until i am trained. i assure u ive called all around for a course and there r none around. best i did since i know the local police academy director thru work i talked him into giving me a few hrs a week at his personal range. and the point made about getting the gun out of some locked up high place when needed

Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB
i have joined the range and enlisted quite a fruends trained in firearms to each spend time with me practicing snd i wont have the gun loaded until i am trained. i assure u ive called all around for a course and there r none around. best i did since i know the local police academy director thru work i talked him into giving me a few hrs a week at his personal range. and the point made about getting the gun out of some locked up high place when needed
makes having 'this thing' or taurus pt22 pistol useless. my child is 4 and at this point she is no where near were she would not be curious but i will teach her but still keep the gun locked up. right now i think i am getting use to owning a firearm.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16918 Times on 9805 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyAnnB View Post
makes having 'this thing' or taurus pt22 pistol useless. my child is 4 and at this point she is no where near were she would not be curious but i will teach her but still keep the gun locked up. right now i think i am getting use to owning a firearm.
Beverly, you are really the only one who will know when your child is ready to learn and understand firearms and how dangerous they are. i think the biometric gun safe is going to be your best option. no keys, and can only be opened by you or those you choose to allow access. they are not very expensive either. good luck and be safe.