Guns are Always loaded!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Guns are Always loaded!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default Guns are Always loaded!

Well, I haven't been on the forum or been active for several months now, buy something happened today that reminded me of the number one rule of gun safety, GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED! I decided to go shooting today and was in the process of loading up ammo, magazines, targets, and all of the other items I was planning to use. I finally went to get the gun I was going to shoot, and as always, I felt for a magazine. Upon discovering no magazine was present, I racked the slide, something I did, without realizing exactly what I was doing. It was just muscle memory. I looked down to discover a loaded round sitting on the floor next to me, and that was when I realized that the round on the floor was previously in the chamber! I always unload my guns and double check that they are unloaded after I shoot, so this scared the daylights out of me. I could not believe I had forgotten to unload this one. You see, I usually KNOW a gun is unloaded before I pick it up, but go ahead and check to see anyway. Its a good thing I did this time too. I just thought everyone could use a quick reminder that GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

It's easy to just go through the motions. This is a good reminder that those motions should actually be cognitive thinking. Good reminder.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Yup it should be habit to always remove the mag and rack the slide...no matter what condition you "think" the gun is in.

Your good habit averted a potential issue!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Hand me a firearm after you've cleared it and I will still clear it again myself, it's a force of habit and a potentially lifesaving one at that.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
Hand me a firearm after you've cleared it and I will still clear it again myself, it's a force of habit and a potentially lifesaving one at that.
Yep, I agree completely! When it comes to firearms there really isn't such a thing as "too safe."
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
My BIL cleared my new AR after I cleared it right in front of me, and then apologized! Told him to never apologize for safety.

All my firearms are always loaded. It used to be my wife didn't like one in the chamber if it was in the safe, I couldn't remember what was loaded and wasn't loaded. Then at the range one day, her hands were so dry, she couldn't pull the slide... Answer was easy.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Done it before myself and will do it again am sure, will send a shiver down your spine for sure, and a strong reminder why it is so important to always treat it as if it were loaded and never point at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #8

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i don't know if i was taught, or it's just somethin i do...........but i ONLY hand a person that is lookin @/handlin my firearm(s), AFTER i drop the magazine, and lock the action in it's rearward position, open.

there is NO MISTAKEN that a firearm is unloaded with 2 out of 2 pieces of the equation taken out of play.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me