Gunman Kills himself after shooting at roller rink birthday party

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gunman Kills himself after shooting at roller rink birthday party

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunman Kills himself after shooting at roller rink birthday party

Disclaimer: I am in no way looking for a political response...I am looking for self-defense answers. Both links exactly the same story, Huffington Post and Fox News

This just in...

If you had a Concealed Carry Permit, and you were carrying at this B-day Party,...how would you have reacted? What would be going through your mind during this scenario?

Opportunity to teach! Thanks,

Gunman Kills Self, 5 Others At Texas Roller Rink

Man shot estranged wife at roller rink

I'm not sure exactly how I would react. I know how I would want to react. What would you do?

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.

Last edited by ViNoM; 07-24-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

OK, seriously, shootings like this happen so fast that before you would have the time to realize what was going on and figure out who was doing what, the guy has shot his intended victims and himself and it's over.

Best thing you could do is just get yourself and yours out of the line of fire. Period.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

So, there was enough time for the kids to get out of harms way. The articles said so...so, theoretically, there would be enough time for a highly trained individual to react to the threat, wouldn't there?

As soon as someone yells, "everybody get down," wouldn't that be the cue to these highly trained individuals as a "call to arms?" If so, wouldn't we want these people carrying around us?

I know what would happen if me and my husband were out at this kids birthday party! And I know what he would do.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What "highly trained individuals" are you talking about? I wasn't aware that a CCW class trained people how to act as one-person SWAT teams, much less form up and work together in a coordinated fashion.

Not to sound insulting, but if you've never been in a real shooting situation, you don't even know how much you don't know about dealing with one. And if and when you ever do find yourself in one--and I hope that no one here does--it's not going to go down in accordance with your hopes and dreams--it's going to be fast and fluid and you will most likely find yourself behind the curve and without a plan, just like most of us who actually have been in such situations were. THAT'S where training comes in--to allow you to catch up and hopefully save yourself and a few people around you--not to be Bruce Willis in a Die Hard movie.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7181 Times on 4322 Posts
Likes Given: 8763

When my "fight or flight" adrenaline gets pumping, I tend to go for the "flight" part of it. I'd be running and hiding so fast it would be like a magician's disappearing act.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2772 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Most "highly trained" individuals would be in condition yellow at such an establishment/event. It does only take seconds to be in condition red, but I would be most interested in getting my family out of harms way FIRST! Then and only then would I intervene.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
What "highly trained individuals" are you talking about? I wasn't aware that a CCW class trained people how to act as one-person SWAT teams, much less form up and work together in a coordinated fashion.

Not to sound insulting, but if you've never been in a real shooting situation, you don't even know how much you don't know about dealing with one. And if and when you ever do find yourself in one--and I hope that no one here does--it's not going to go down in accordance with your hopes and dreams--it's going to be fast and fluid and you will most likely find yourself behind the curve and without a plan, just like most of us who actually have been in such situations were. THAT'S where training comes in--to allow you to catch up and hopefully save yourself and a few people around you--not to be Bruce Willis in a Die Hard movie.
This is actually my point! The fact that I have never, as is with the majority of the populous, been in this situation or a similar one I thought the rest of the FTF community would like to hear as well.

Before I met my husband, I really had no idea of how dangerous and eff'd up the world can be to someone who was as naive as I was. Jack has exposed me to his situational awareness at all times,...it was kind of like being his "junior- apprentice"

Obviously, getting myself and loved ones out alive would be my first objective! But if the BG is between me and the exit point, what then? or perhaps, the BG is my sister's ex looking for revenge? I might like to have a scenario to pull from when searching those vast recesses of my mind, ie: where would the egress point be if the exit is blocked? Do you know plan B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Most "highly trained" individuals would be in condition yellow at such an establishment/event. It does only take seconds to be in condition red, but I would be most interested in getting my family out of harms way FIRST! Then and only then would I intervene.
My second point. it is in those seconds lies the critical time to react with a cool head. This is where training, awareness and experience would be extremely helpful.

I would love to hear some more on this topic.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #8

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It’s hard even for a person who is trained and/or experienced this to react in a quick fashion to stop some one bent on killing. It happens so fast but with luck and maybe being aware if it before hand may make deference. I have been in somewhat similar situations and it takes a few seconds to gather yourself before you can act. It is not as easy as the movies make it out to be.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #9

Quote:

youve already been quoted man but im going to again, and im going to say thank you so damn much for driving it home. people with no experience get a CCW and a handgun = automatic John Woo movie stars.

In that situation all i could say is get the family behind something thick, withdraw weapon. but in this case by the time i pulled out mine, hes already done with his.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

Damn! Quoted for a third time!

You do have a valid point, it does happen fast, and there is no time for hesitation or second guessing. I am not aware of any publicized news articles, past or present, where a CCW person actually got involved in a mass shooting and saved a bunch of people from a shooter. If so, it's rare.

But there are many publicized news articles that do involve shootings and murder from just one lone gunman and no others were armed.

Quote:
...just like most of us who actually have been in such situations were. THAT'S where training comes in--to allow you to catch up and hopefully save yourself and a few people around you--not to be Bruce Willis in a Die Hard movie.
Who is "US?"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”