Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Gun TV and new Shooters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/gun-tv-new-shooters-67824/)

Tackleberry1 07-07-2012 05:20 PM

Gun TV and new Shooters

We have several threads here regarding new shows like Sons of Guns, American Guns, and the slew of Pawn shows chronicling gun sales and trips to range. We've seen episodes ranging from accurate to downright absurd and sat through no small amount of unsafe handling.

Personally, I'm split on whether or not these shows are good or bad for our sport.

One one hand, I'm sure they are motivating the sofa/x box commandos to buy a real gun by normalizing gun ownership for those who did not grow up in our culture.

On the other hand, I'm seeing A LOT of new shooter on the firing lines who's only gun handling skill came from video games and I'm just waiting to see one of these folks try pulling the trigger with there thumb.:eek:

My concern is that were a couple of accidents away from the liberal press chronicling these folks as "victims of the gun culture and irresponsible tv" due to the insane crap we see on these shows and the current lack of any required training to buy a gun.

I'm not advocating mandatory training but do suggest it to anyone new to our sport and am curious if any of my fellow FTF members share these concerns.

Tack

danf_fl 07-07-2012 05:24 PM

I am concerned about the safety and agree that some training should be sought by new shooters.

I took lessons when I started golfing.
I have attended motorcycle training courses.

Along the same lines, training should be sought for beginners with firearms.

W. C. Quantrill 07-07-2012 06:03 PM

The conflict in my mind is where I grew up with a gun in my hand since I was 5, and so have my kids and grandkids, that being one thing, versus, those who grew up without a gun in the house in the urban environment. Also, there are just simply some people out here that really shouldnt have a gun at all. How do you sort them out?

I really dont see some kid that grew up in the good work ethic rural environment with guns all his life having to take a training class from a stranger who may not have as much experience as the kid. I just took a class. The instructor worked at a local prison. Inside. Desk jockey. But because he was part of corrections, he thought he was a gunfighter, and in actuality, lacked the experience that some of the class had. He could regurgitate the course outline, and sign off the certification. That is all we needed.

Tackleberry1 07-07-2012 06:30 PM

W.C.

Your experience is why I do NOT endorse mandatory training to exercise a constitutional right.

I think the better solution is for those of us who grew up in the gun culture and understand safe gun handling to recognize those who don't and quickly befriend and guid them with the basics all while encouraging them to get training.

I'm not talking about 3 gun high speed tactical training. Not looking to turn these folks into Navy Seals but simply wish to help them avoid an ND, the possible reprocussions for them and the potential bad press for us.

Tack

danf_fl 07-08-2012 08:13 AM

When I see an unsafe act by individuals on the range, I attempt to correct.

When I see an individual having problems shooting, I offer advice.

When an individual decides not to listen, I leave.

Vincine 07-08-2012 12:46 PM

Kids growing up with guns in a rural or wild environment are one thing.
Kids growing up whose only knowledge of guns is TV and video games are what scare me.

(I remember Good Guys, on horses at full gallop shooting one handed at Bad Guys, who were also at full gallop shooting back, one handed, BACKWARDS.)

ellwood45c 07-08-2012 04:51 PM

I do belive in training, ir is important for many people. Not sure how i feel about mandatory training, that is still kinda up in the air with me. I love the first shots program its avaible to any age here at a local gun range. I myself was a instructor in 4h shooting sports, and had so much fun. Alot of the kids i dealt with were farm kids who shot with there dads. Some of the city kids it was a little more challenging because they really had no idea about guns. But buy the end of the year they had a very healthy knowledge, and respect.
I also watch and offer advice or help whenever i can. About 90% of the time i find people are willing to learn or listen, but then you get the ones who want to be big shot and know it alls. The ones who think they know everything alot of times dont stick with it and end up selling what they have. Thats when i can get some good deals.
Training is important for everybody.

Axxe55 07-08-2012 05:12 PM

i too don't think it should be mandatory or required, but suggested. there are a lot of grown adults that have never been around guns for whatever reason, buying and shooting them, and they are different than the person who grew up around guns, learning at an early age from their father, grandfather or even uncles about gun safety, shooting and hunting.

i always suggest to any new shooter, whether male or female, young or old, to take the time to learn the safe operation of firearms and to take some type of safety course.

the ones that scare me are the youngsters, who want imitate what they see on tv, movies or video games. if i recall, in real life, there is no reset button or replay, and you can't take a bullet back after it's been fire. in real life there are no do-overs. gun safety is a responsibility that goes along with our right to own and shoot them.

my concern has always been when people handle guns unsafely, make dangerous modifications or have no true knowledge of the potential deadly power contained in a firearm, and just hurting or killing themselves is one thing, but what about the innocent bystander who had the unfortunate luck to be around when someone decides to disregard the basic rules of gun safety? that is what bothers me. just like the drunk who drives a car when plastered. i don't really care if he kills himself, but what about the innocent person he kills, just because they happened to be on the same road at the same time? that bothers me.

JD1969 07-08-2012 07:35 PM

I think exposing the general public to what firearm owners are like is a good thing...as long as the media chooses normal owners/enthusiasts. Unfortunately, Chumlee form Pawn Stars is not doing us any favors. As much fault as I can find with American Guns, at least they make an effort to stress safety and on more than one episode shown training classes, and the cast looks like decent, clean cut people. Right or wrong, image goes a long LONG ways. Sons Of Guns, makes gun owners look like a bunch of inbreed hilljacks that just want to blow stuff up.

Axxe55 07-08-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969 (Post 863692)
I think exposing the general public to what firearm owners are like is a good thing...as long as the media chooses normal owners/enthusiasts. Unfortunately, Chumlee form Pawn Stars is not doing us any favors. As much fault as I can find with American Guns, at least they make an effort to stress safety and on more than one episode shown training classes, and the cast looks like decent, clean cut people. Right or wrong, image goes a long LONG ways. Sons Of Guns, makes gun owners look like a bunch of inbreed hilljacks that just want to blow stuff up.

JD, well said! many of these so called "reality shows" are nothing more than any other reality show, just revolving around guns as the theme of choice. unfortunately, for many who watch these type shows, they tend to believe this is what the typical gun owner is like. it's about entertainment, but the cost is carried by the average gun owner, who many now think because of these type shows, that we are inbred, knuckle dragging morons walking around with loaded firearms. these shows are not an asset IMO opinion and do more harm than good in bringing guns to the mainstream and showing us the responsible and safe gun owner as a bunch of idiots. they are not representative of the average gun owner by any means. American Guns is not bad, and of all the shows is probably the best. i can at least watch it without wanting to change the channel before the first commercial. SOG's, is such a crappy show and has focused on the drama, that one would think it's a soap opera with guns.