Gun Storage and Children - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun Storage and Children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #41
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2324 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 12739

Retaks, I am going to tell you a very good reason to get a pistol safe NOW and not later.

Christmas time in 1992, my senior year of high school, we lost a student in my class to an accidental shooting. A mutual friend was over at his house hanging out, and went into the parent's bedroom while the other kid went to his room to finish getting ready for work. While in the parent's room, the visiting friend found the stepfather's colt. As he examined it my friend Frank came into his parent's room, and the other one turned around and accidently pulled the trigger. The bullet hit Frank just above his right eye, and killed him instantly. We buried him on Christmas Eve.

Frank was 19, the other kid was 18. Frank was raised around guns, the other one wasn't. One is dead, and the other has to live with what happened for the rest of his life, as do both sets of parents. The Ironic part. Dad's pistol safe was wrapped up, under the tree. The shooter has to live with the social and legal stigmas that stemed from this incident as well. The lesson in this;

Even if your children are educated in what to do or not do, have their friends been trained in the same? All it takes is one "Oh Sh!t" moment, and your life will change forever.

This is why the policy in my house is if the gun is not on me or in my control, it is always secured. Theft prevention is secondary, human life is first. I do not worry about my 15 year old daughter around any of my guns, but I do worry about her friends. Just something to think about. The unthinkable can happen at ANY age. Buy a pistol safe and use it for the safety of your children as well as their friends. If those of us on this forum did not care about you and your kids, we would not be trying to drive this point home.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #42
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8653 Times on 5163 Posts
Likes Given: 11395

Amen, Kfox75. Excellent post and my sentiments as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #43
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2324 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 12739

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Amen, Kfox75. Excellent post and my sentiments as well.
Thanks Winds. I lost a good friend that day, we were close enough to be brothers. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. My dad's and my guns were locked up long before this happened, but it really drove the point home for me.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #44

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ya a safe or some form of lock box is your best choice. Until i get a house and more guns and money, i couldn't afford a good safe. For 30 bucks you can go to walmart and get a pistol cabniet not going to deter a determined theif but you can bolt it to something and it will keep the kids from accessing, at least if they're under 13 by the time mine gets to that age i know i'll have allot more guns, but i'm makeing sure to look into ways to secure any guns before i buy them. Here's a link to the cabniet like i said not the best but will work till you can get something better.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pistol-Cabinet/17165495