Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun Storage and Children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
I heard of guns going of of you smack the butt hard enough. I'm not sure about hand guns but heard that about long guns.
ya that can happen but you don't need to keep one chambered it only takes a second to chamber a round, plus slide/pump sound is a decent deterant in itself. and if they're only 3 and 4 you should be able to hide it from them they're not geniuses at that age. Hell just put it as high as you can at least to make it hard for em

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7727 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9960

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Another unfortunate reminder this morning.

Killeen police say boy, 4, fatally shot brother, 3
It only takes a second to unload and make safe if you are going to be stupid enough to leave your gun on the dresser in the bedroom unattended. That simple act would have saved that little boys life without a doubt. All his brother did was pull the trigger which is a totally natural thing for an uneducated child to do (especially boys.) Hell, how many adults do that without checking if the gun is unloaded and safe?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #23

Liked 4524 Times on 2187 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
It only takes a second to unload and make safe if you are going to be stupid enough to leave your gun on the dresser in the bedroom unattended. That simple act would have saved that little boys life without a doubt. All his brother did was pull the trigger which is a totally natural thing for an uneducated child to do (especially boys.) Hell, how many adults do that without checking if the gun is unloaded and safe?
While I don't support mandatory storage laws because every situation is unique, I would support indicting stupid parents who allow this to happen.

Tack

Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Buckethead- In almost every case of a gun "going off"- it is because a human being did something really stupid with it. Some of the older single action revolvers were NOT made to be carried with a round under the hammer. With the exception of those, it is extremely rare to find a gun that is not badly worn or damaged that will fire by doing anything except HAVING THE TRIGGER PULLED.

Onyl thing I have ever had go off from being smacked on the butt is my lady.....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Buckethead-

Onyl thing I have ever had go off from being smacked on the butt is my lady.....
That's funny! And true, though I think my lady secretly likes it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It was just something I was told since hunter safety course 10 years ago. it seemed relevant to bring up because people will have a trigger lock, and keep it loaded with one in the chamber. Thats how 95 percent of my families hd guns roll. and if a kids gets a loaded fun with a trigger lock, hits it hard enough that is a bad scenario if that were to be true.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
It was just something I was told since hunter safety course 10 years ago. it seemed relevant to bring up because people will have a trigger lock, and keep it loaded with one in the chamber. Thats how 95 percent of my families hd guns roll. and if a kids gets a loaded fun with a trigger lock, hits it hard enough that is a bad scenario if that were to be true.
IMO putting a Trigger lock on a loaded gun is an accident waitingto happen. If you think you'll have time to remove a trigger lock then you'll have time to charge the gun.

Tack

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Me personally wouldn't have a loaded gun in the house with one in the chamber. The houses in my family doesn't have the young generation living there so it's a to each their own I guess. Me the only time I would have anything loaded into my shotgun is some 00 in the tube at night next to my bed. After that lock it up in the morning. Eventually I would like a .45 1911 for hd and leave my 870 just for hunting. Get a small lock box in,my night stand so I can leave the gun and a few magsin there just in case.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I keep my XDM in the case it came in at night on top of my dresser. My dresser is 5ft tall and the kids (1 week old, 3yo, 5yo) cant reach it. I dont keep round in the chamber but do have a full 10 round mag in it and 2 spare 16 round mags in the case also. I dont live in a great neighborhood so i wouldnt be surprised if i need it. During the day i carry it with me with one in the chamber as my ccw gun. The 2 older kids know what it is and not to mess with it no matter what but they dont know its in the case at night. They have asked and i tell them its in the car. Lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retaks View Post
I keep my XDM in the case it came in at night on top of my dresser. My dresser is 5ft tall and the kids (1 week old, 3yo, 5yo) cant reach it. I dont keep round in the chamber but do have a full 10 round mag in it and 2 spare 16 round mags in the case also. I dont live in a great neighborhood so i wouldnt be surprised if i need it. During the day i carry it with me with one in the chamber as my ccw gun. The 2 older kids know what it is and not to mess with it no matter what but they dont know its in the case at night. They have asked and i tell them its in the car. Lol.
Dresser drawers pull out and make a great staircase for a 3 or 5 year old and I personally would not assume the either could not rack the slide on an XD.

Read the earlier posts in this thread to find the link regarding the 4 year old that got mommys gun off the top of her dresser and killed his 3 year old sibling.
There are dozens of great quick access lock boxes on the market. Mine uses a push button combo and is bolted to my bed frame. Think it cost me a whopping $140.00

Money well spend to keep little hands away.

Tack