Gun Storage and Children - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Gun Storage and Children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind.

What we did was as soon as the kids were old enough to be self-aware, we started teaching them the Eddie Eagle mantra with the additional element of adding some of the NRA Gun Safety Rules as we went along and as appropriate, starting with "Guns are ALWAYS to be considered loaded AT ALL TIMES! (as I recall it started around 2 or 3 years old). A year or so later we started testing them by placing an unloaded gun in an innocuous place where we could observe from a distance undetected and watch what happened. They without fail did as they were told and got an adult immediately when they spotted it. Never a deviation from their training. At 5 years old the eldest got a BB gun and was trained to treat it like a "real" gun (as was the rule with their cap guns and other toy guns before this. They were never allowed to "play" with guns, toy or not). At around 5 1/2 and 7 years old (2 boys, a year and a half apart) they were given a copy of the NRA Gun Safety Rules and told to memorize them. They were told that when they could recite the rules by heart we would consider taking them to the range so they could shoot with live ammunition. On the first day at the range (one at a time, the oldest first) the first thing they were told was that any serious violation of the NRA Gun Safety Rules would result in a minimum of one year without touching any guns, toy or real. There has never been a violation, serious or otherwise. If anything the boys are stricter on themselves than I am. That is pretty much how we did it in a nutshell.

All of those years the guns were always locked up all the time unless they were in my possession. Now that the boys are teenagers they are allowed to handle them as long as they ask permission first. They field strip, clean, do modifications and all of that under my supervision. They are intimately familiar with the guns we have and they have become more responsible young men at least partly as a result of the responsibility we have given them with guns. Even my previously anti-gun parents are in agreement. My 81-year-old mother wants us to take her shooting for the first time in her life as a result of what she has seen in her grandsons and their safe handling of firearms.

The biggest danger with children and firearms is curiosity. What we have done in raising our kids would not be appropriate for all children by any means. It is something we have re-evaluated every step of the way, questioning what we were doing and how with every day. It started from Day One with us. I suppose you could start later, but I would not know from personal experience. I don't imagine you could start after, say, age 5 but perhaps you could.

Keep them (the guns) locked up, but train the minds as well.

I agree u can lock up ur guns all you want and you should. But the saying curiostiy killed the cat always applies. You have to teach them about saftey and respect of firearms. If they know all they gotta do is ask to go to the range or something they are less likely to try to get at em without you there. My 8 year old daughter got her first bb gun this year for x mas, we went thru 3 saftey books and talked a long time on what the dangers of mishandling firearms can bee. Back of one saftey book even had a contract i made her sign. So far she's been real good with it hope it stays like it. She's shot a .22 rifle so far as her only real gun and will problaly stay like that till she's 9. The one thing you gotta worry about is friends, i've let her know not to offer any of her friends to see the guns or anything like that. Told her if a friend is interested and they're Parents are okay with it i will see about taking her friend with to shoot her bb gun. Just be safe and careful thanx for the post guys one or two things in here i'll prolly end up useing myself.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9089 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999 View Post
I agree u can lock up ur guns all you want and you should. But the saying curiostiy killed the cat always applies. You have to teach them about saftey and respect of firearms. If they know all they gotta do is ask to go to the range or something they are less likely to try to get at em without you there. My 8 year old daughter got her first bb gun this year for x mas, we went thru 3 saftey books and talked a long time on what the dangers of mishandling firearms can bee. Back of one saftey book even had a contract i made her sign. So far she's been real good with it hope it stays like it. She's shot a .22 rifle so far as her only real gun and will problaly stay like that till she's 9. The one thing you gotta worry about is friends, i've let her know not to offer any of her friends to see the guns or anything like that. Told her if a friend is interested and they're Parents are okay with it i will see about taking her friend with to shoot her bb gun. Just be safe and careful thanx for the post guys one or two things in here i'll prolly end up useing myself.
You bring up a good point that I missed. My boys were also taught that they are forbidden from bragging about the guns (or anything else for that matter!). I tell them the truth, that is if there is an accident involving firearms from our house I (and possibly mom) are going to jail for a long time and all of the guns get confiscated and they will probably be put into foster care. Always let them know the consequences of their actions. Don't sugar coat anything.

Also, I did mention that my boys were never allowed to play with guns, toy guns or not. (the only exception is water pistols, but we seldom had any around that were not of the "Super Soaker" type which do not resemble firearms at all). Their cap guns and those sorts of toys were also treated just like real firearms at all times from day one. They actually took pride in the fact that when their friends wanted to play cops and robbers or some such they would say that they were not allowed to play with guns unless they didn't want to shoot real ones. Their friends were always envious of that stance. A couple of their parents would ask if they were allowed to shoot and I would explain all that I have here in my past post and they have asked if I would train their kids. My answer is that I would train the parents first without the kids and then we would see about the kids. A few took me up on it.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7097 Times on 3771 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
The biggest one with my youngest is keeping thast damn finger off the trigger and laid up beside the stock until ready to fire....he's getting there tho.
i had that problem years ago with my wife. she was fresh from commiefornia and just learning gun safety. got fed up with her sticking her finger in the trigger guard. so i grabbed her hands. took her finger out of the trigger guard and bit her on the trigger finger.

to this day she still hasnt stuck her finger in the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

prolly wont work for kidlets tho...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i had that problem years ago with my wife. she was fresh from commiefornia and just learning gun safety. got fed up with her sticking her finger in the trigger guard. so i grabbed her hands. took her finger out of the trigger guard and bit her on the trigger finger.

to this day she still hasnt stuck her finger in the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

prolly wont work for kidlets tho...
LMAO!!!!!!

Thats one way to get your point across!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I agree that education is a big part of kids and gun safety, although kids are naturally curious and don't always do the right thing. With all the different products on the market today to help you secure your guns it seems like a no brainer to me for some of those to be part of the plan to keep kids safe. Most kids will make the right decision if taught, but a few will slip thru the cracks. Seems like safes and handgun safes are a good back up when things don't go exactly as planned.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Another unfortunate reminder this morning.

Killeen police say boy, 4, fatally shot brother, 3

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I got married my wife was iffy on guns so I left it at my parents. Then I've she was comfortable with the idea we had a kid. So she doesn't want me to keep the gun at home without a cabinet. Regardless of any other kind of safety devises. I have a cable lock for my 870. But I use that while transporting so ILL law won't hassle me as bad. I plan on teaching my daughter gun safety with my old bb gun but she is little far off from that.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #18

Liked 5013 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post

...and this is exactly why I posted this thread!

Tack

Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post

Very very sad... hell they give you a damn factory lock if nothing else you can spend 5 dollars at ur local F*#ing wal mart and get a cheap trigger lock!!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999 View Post
Very very sad... hell they give you a damn factory lock if nothing else you can spend 5 dollars at ur local F*#ing wal mart and get a cheap trigger lock!!!!!
I heard of guns going of of you smack the butt hard enough. I'm not sure about hand guns but heard that about long guns.