Gun Storage and Children
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun Storage and Children

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default Gun Storage and Children

I'm putting this out there as food for thought because I see a fair number of people who are new to guns joining our culture and I notice that many of them have small children. While I do not support mandatory safe storage laws because every situation is different, I do personally adhear to safe storage 100% because my situation demands it. What works for a family may be ridiculous overkill for a single person, particularly a single woman so take this for what it's worth, apply common sence, and ensure that your situation is as safe as it can be.

My wife and I are close to being done raising our first batch of kids. Our 19 YO son has moved out and our 16 YO daughter is currently a High School Sophomore. I began acquiring guns about 15 years ago when these two were quite small and though I could not afford the great big, wiz bang, fire rated, 10 bolt safe that's currently secured to the floor of my garage, I could certainly afford the $40 light gauge steel safe that I brought home fom K Mart to make sure the little ones could not get to the boom sticks.

As the child deterant safe in the bed room closet gave way to the big dash safe in the garage, I aquired a quick access lock box, mounted to the bed frame, to house the home defense pistol and added a second lock box to the top of the master closet to house my CCW gun. This makes it easy to get my CCW in the morning without waking the wife and 1 or both little ones and ensures my wife is not defenseless while I'm away. Oh... And the big loud dog helps too.

Like many of you, my gun collecting began at the same time I received my CCW and there in began a policy of "on my hip OR locked up". It did not matter that my handgun banged the kitchen chair when I sat down to dinner. If I was not prepared to lock it up for the night, it stayed on my hip until I was.

About 5 years ago, to quote Marrisa Tomme in My Cousin Vinney, "the wifes biological clock started ticking like this"!

Long story short we have since been blessed with a healthy 3 YO boy and a bouncing 10 month old daughter. So much for being done by 42.

I share this because the policy of positive control combined with a good dose of teaching with the help of Eddie Eagle have served to keep my family free of incident for 15 years. I hear quite a bit about multiple guns stashed around a home which may well serve someones sence of security but is advised against if there are ever kids present.

We all keep guns so that should the worst happen, we have the tools to keep our families safe. Let's not forget that it is also our responsibility to keep the little ones safely separated from our tools.

Be Safe.

Tack

__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,912
Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Default

Tack- good post.

While our kids have always been around guns, you do not leave steak knives on the coffee table when you have a 2 year old. Until they are old enough to understand, and have an attention span greater than a goldfish, you DO need a positive, physical control.

There are many different safes and lockboxes made for securing firearms. However, I can remember having rugrats, tight money, and a lot of mac & cheese to make ends meet. Here are some ways to secure a gun without breaking the bank.

1. Get an inexpensive safe. You can find a small one at Harbor Freight for under $50. look in American Rifleman for the sale ad, they run specials on them (or at least get the 20 off coupon from the ad). NO, it is NOT a great safe. NO, it is not fireproof. NO, it will not stop a professional jewel thief. But it WILL keep your 4 yr old from showing her friend how Daddy shoots, and it will slow down that 14 yr old punk from down the road that is rummaging thru the house.

2. Lock it up. Literally. Many handguns can be secured with a padlock so they will not fire. Double action revolver- open cylinder, snap lock around top strap. Ruger 22 pistol? Pull bolt back, snap padlock through charging handle- will not go into battery Rifle or shotgun- many can be locked with a cable style padlock- open action, feed thru, snap lock- action cannot be closed. And threre are many purpose- built locks just for firearms.

NEVER assume that you can put ANYTHING (gun, christmas present, your nudie mags) where the kids will not find it. That includes that shelf at the top of the closet, between matrress and box springs, etc.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
woody63m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 721
Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Default

Most guns come with some kinda cable lock these days they give them to ya for a reason

__________________
woody63m is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BallisticSurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

This is a fantastic post. I have a 2 year old and keep every gun locked up that isnt in my physical control. I bought a inexpensive 18 gun safe from Academy Sports and Outdoors and it works well at keeping my son out. Once he gets older he will be taught safety and respect of firearms.

__________________
BallisticSurgeon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,226
Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Default

The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind.

What we did was as soon as the kids were old enough to be self-aware, we started teaching them the Eddie Eagle mantra with the additional element of adding some of the NRA Gun Safety Rules as we went along and as appropriate, starting with "Guns are ALWAYS to be considered loaded AT ALL TIMES! (as I recall it started around 2 or 3 years old). A year or so later we started testing them by placing an unloaded gun in an innocuous place where we could observe from a distance undetected and watch what happened. They without fail did as they were told and got an adult immediately when they spotted it. Never a deviation from their training. At 5 years old the eldest got a BB gun and was trained to treat it like a "real" gun (as was the rule with their cap guns and other toy guns before this. They were never allowed to "play" with guns, toy or not). At around 5 1/2 and 7 years old (2 boys, a year and a half apart) they were given a copy of the NRA Gun Safety Rules and told to memorize them. They were told that when they could recite the rules by heart we would consider taking them to the range so they could shoot with live ammunition. On the first day at the range (one at a time, the oldest first) the first thing they were told was that any serious violation of the NRA Gun Safety Rules would result in a minimum of one year without touching any guns, toy or real. There has never been a violation, serious or otherwise. If anything the boys are stricter on themselves than I am. That is pretty much how we did it in a nutshell.

All of those years the guns were always locked up all the time unless they were in my possession. Now that the boys are teenagers they are allowed to handle them as long as they ask permission first. They field strip, clean, do modifications and all of that under my supervision. They are intimately familiar with the guns we have and they have become more responsible young men at least partly as a result of the responsibility we have given them with guns. Even my previously anti-gun parents are in agreement. My 81-year-old mother wants us to take her shooting for the first time in her life as a result of what she has seen in her grandsons and their safe handling of firearms.

The biggest danger with children and firearms is curiosity. What we have done in raising our kids would not be appropriate for all children by any means. It is something we have re-evaluated every step of the way, questioning what we were doing and how with every day. It started from Day One with us. I suppose you could start later, but I would not know from personal experience. I don't imagine you could start after, say, age 5 but perhaps you could.

Keep them (the guns) locked up, but train the minds as well.

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I agree children should be careful where they keep their guns. We know adults misuse firearms more than any other group.

__________________
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind.

What we did was as soon as the kids were old enough to be self-aware, we started teaching them the Eddie Eagle mantra with the additional element of adding some of the NRA Gun Safety Rules as we went along and as appropriate, starting with "Guns are ALWAYS to be considered loaded AT ALL TIMES! (as I recall it started around 2 or 3 years old). A year or so later we started testing them by placing an unloaded gun in an innocuous place where we could observe from a distance undetected and watch what happened. They without fail did as they were told and got an adult immediately when they spotted it. Never a deviation from their training. At 5 years old the eldest got a BB gun and was trained to treat it like a "real" gun (as was the rule with their cap guns and other toy guns before this. They were never allowed to "play" with guns, toy or not). At around 5 1/2 and 7 years old (2 boys, a year and a half apart) they were given a copy of the NRA Gun Safety Rules and told to memorize them. They were told that when they could recite the rules by heart we would consider taking them to the range so they could shoot with live ammunition. On the first day at the range (one at a time, the oldest first) the first thing they were told was that any serious violation of the NRA Gun Safety Rules would result in a minimum of one year without touching any guns, toy or real. There has never been a violation, serious or otherwise. If anything the boys are stricter on themselves than I am. That is pretty much how we did it in a nutshell.

All of those years the guns were always locked up all the time unless they were in my possession. Now that the boys are teenagers they are allowed to handle them as long as they ask permission first. They field strip, clean, do modifications and all of that under my supervision. They are intimately familiar with the guns we have and they have become more responsible young men at least partly as a result of the responsibility we have given them with guns. Even my previously anti-gun parents are in agreement. My 81-year-old mother wants us to take her shooting for the first time in her life as a result of what she has seen in her grandsons and their safe handling of firearms.

The biggest danger with children and firearms is curiosity. What we have done in raising our kids would not be appropriate for all children by any means. It is something we have re-evaluated every step of the way, questioning what we were doing and how with every day. It started from Day One with us. I suppose you could start later, but I would not know from personal experience. I don't imagine you could start after, say, age 5 but perhaps you could.

Keep them (the guns) locked up, but train the minds as well.
This!! Train 'em right, train 'em well and you will be rewarded. The re-evaluating is called raising a child...there is no be all end all scenario, its a fluid situation at the very least.

My soon to be 13 y/o will call me out for the smallest of infractions of safety....makes me proud as this tells me i did SOMETHING right.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,226
Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
My soon to be 13 y/o will call me out for the smallest of infractions of safety....makes me proud as this tells me i did SOMETHING right.
At the same time you have to snuff out the reflexive "Don't tell me what to do!" response though. Sometimes it can be tough. The kids call me out far more often than I do them. OK, to be fair I can't think of a single time when I have called them out on safety issue.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dks7895's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Charles,Missouri
Posts: 465
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind.

What we did was as soon as the kids were old enough to be self-aware, we started teaching them the Eddie Eagle mantra with the additional element of adding some of the NRA Gun Safety Rules as we went along and as appropriate, starting with "Guns are ALWAYS to be considered loaded AT ALL TIMES! (as I recall it started around 2 or 3 years old). A year or so later we started testing them by placing an unloaded gun in an innocuous place where we could observe from a distance undetected and watch what happened. They without fail did as they were told and got an adult immediately when they spotted it. Never a deviation from their training. At 5 years old the eldest got a BB gun and was trained to treat it like a "real" gun (as was the rule with their cap guns and other toy guns before this. They were never allowed to "play" with guns, toy or not). At around 5 1/2 and 7 years old (2 boys, a year and a half apart) they were given a copy of the NRA Gun Safety Rules and told to memorize them. They were told that when they could recite the rules by heart we would consider taking them to the range so they could shoot with live ammunition. On the first day at the range (one at a time, the oldest first) the first thing they were told was that any serious violation of the NRA Gun Safety Rules would result in a minimum of one year without touching any guns, toy or real. There has never been a violation, serious or otherwise. If anything the boys are stricter on themselves than I am. That is pretty much how we did it in a nutshell.

All of those years the guns were always locked up all the time unless they were in my possession. Now that the boys are teenagers they are allowed to handle them as long as they ask permission first. They field strip, clean, do modifications and all of that under my supervision. They are intimately familiar with the guns we have and they have become more responsible young men at least partly as a result of the responsibility we have given them with guns. Even my previously anti-gun parents are in agreement. My 81-year-old mother wants us to take her shooting for the first time in her life as a result of what she has seen in her grandsons and their safe handling of firearms.

The biggest danger with children and firearms is curiosity. What we have done in raising our kids would not be appropriate for all children by any means. It is something we have re-evaluated every step of the way, questioning what we were doing and how with every day. It started from Day One with us. I suppose you could start later, but I would not know from personal experience. I don't imagine you could start after, say, age 5 but perhaps you could.

Keep them (the guns) locked up, but train the minds as well.
Best answer so far. I was taught gun safety and respect at a very young age. I have carried this over to my own children. I also discuss it with their friends and parents. I have a safe and keep my guns secure. But knowledge is power. Curiosity is what kills the cat.
__________________

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

dks7895 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
At the same time you have to snuff out the reflexive "Don't tell me what to do!" response though. Sometimes it can be tough. The kids call me out far more often than I do them. OK, to be fair I can't think of a single time when I have called them out on safety issue.
OH Man...i ALWAYS hated when dad pulled the "do as i say not as i do" card when i was young. So when one of the kids calls me out I usually say "Thanks" or "I was just testing to make sure you were paying attention". That one doesnt work so well anymore.

The biggest one with my youngest is keeping thast damn finger off the trigger and laid up beside the stock until ready to fire....he's getting there tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Best answer so far. I was taught gun safety and respect at a very young age. I have carried this over to my own children. I also discuss it with their friends and parents. I have a safe and keep my guns secure. But knowledge is power. Curiosity is what kills the cat.
TRUTH!! I keep the safe locked...not from the kids, but from the neighborhood thugs.

But in truth my kids are to the age i dont worry about it so much. (If they were the age of the OP i would sing a different tune) I leave a couple handguns loaded in pre-described "hidden" areas in the house that are easy to get to and the kids and wife all know where they are.

My one buddy commented to another buddy after watching my youngest get after it on the range with the 1911 and the 686, "I would almost feel sorry if someone was dumb enough to break into THAT house." (everyone here KNOWS how to use EVERY gun in the house and use 'em well + 100lb lab with very BAD disposition if you do not belong in HIS house! )
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Children and The Range. Shihan Range Report 12 07-11-2010 05:31 AM
Teach your children well Jo da Plumbr The Club House 7 07-18-2009 01:34 AM
Islam and our children Chester Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 06-10-2008 03:59 AM