Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun safety needs to be taught in schools: essay by 8th grader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I don't know about other areas of the country...but in western NY we have the D.A.R.E. program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education.) Monday, Wednesday, and Friday a Niagara County Sherrif would come to our school (This was in the 5th grade) and he would educate us (at a 5th graders' level mind you) about the dangers of drugs and how to avoid peer pressure and the sort.

NOW, this brings me to my curiosity of firearms...bein the lil punk I was from hanging out around the gun club with family, I asked the good sherrif "What do you carry on duty?" he looked at me astonished and simply said "Don't pay any attention to that" every class he would tell the kids to stop staring at his duty weapon, which they didnt. I can honestly say my classmates and I were all more fascinated with a gun being in the school than this weird stuff called marijuana and peer pressure...none of us even knew what that was.

I think proper safety lectures taught by law enforcement or hunter's ed. teachers wouldnt be a bad idea at all....I've actually brought it up a few times with my friends

Old 04-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoTango View Post
CapitalCityWeekly.com - Southeast Alaska's Online Newspaper

Corby is a student at Floyd Dryden Middle School in Juneau, Alaska.
His school principals email address is millirot@jsd.k12.ak.us everyone should drop him a note of thanks.
I agree 100% with teaching kids regarding gun/weapon training. When, as a Police Officer, in 1992 we had a spate of kids with .177 and .22 air rifles causing damage to property, which was rapidly getting out of hand.
It was about April, and the Summer break for schools was fast aproaching, (July) as a firearms/shotgun Officer, I managed to get permission from my boss, to take any interested kids to a local shooting ground,during their Summer break, and not only show and tell them about gun safety, but also bow and arrows, knives, etc.
Brownings gave an over and under S/Gun, and MANY other companies also donated weapons of all sorts.As soon as word got round, I found myself inundated with interested kids. The event was great, showing the kids exactly what damage a shotgun/firearm, bows etc could do to a pigs carcass.
Suffice it to say, that on one of the days, the whole days event was videoed by the Force photographer, and the gun safety video was sent to every Police Force in the U.K. I received loads of thank you letters from gun clubs and gun organisations for the work I had put in, I also received a letter of thanks and a Certificate from my then Chief Constable.
The gun crimes dropped dramaticaly, as did gun accidents.
I.M.H.O. Gun safety should be part of a schools curriculum.

Jungleman.

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Last edited by jungleman; 04-17-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #23

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Gun safety should be part of a schools curriculum.
BS - I've never heard of a more stupid idea for public schools!!!!

Just try empowering the federal government's Dept of H.E.and W. and the Nayional Education Assoc. (NEA) to teach gun safety!?

NO NO NO way! That solution will be worse than any problem that exist today!

Teaching gun safety is good - Letting liberal bias administrators and teachers teach it is not the solution! I'll take care of my family (and friends if I can help) don't need or want any help from the DHEW, BATF or NEA!

Last edited by RaySendero; 04-17-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
BS - I've never heard of a more stupid idea for public schools!!!!

Just try empowering the federal government's Dept of H.E.and W. and the Nayional Education Assoc. (NEA) to teach gun safety!?

NO NO NO way! That solution will be worse than any problem that exist today!

Teaching gun safety is good - Letting liberal bias administrators and teachers teach it is not the solution! I'll take care of my family (and friends if I can help) don't need or want any help from the DHEW, BATF or NEA!
I obviously didn't make myself clear. It's Not a load of B.S. if as I, a fully qualified Police firearms officer gave safety instructions, NOT teachers, as you imply, it would be stricktly conducted under controlled enviroments.

Jungleman

Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #25

Jungleman,

I don't even know you, but from your posts, I would feel confident that you could teach my kids good safe gun safety. Also think the idea of teaching gun safety classes appropriately to kids (i.e. matching the proper safety concepts with their level of maturity) is a great idea.

My point is - Don't allow it to be any part of the public school system! Don't let it get any where near liberal federal bureaucrats, PC school administrators and the teachers union.

Do it at the community/grassroots level DON'T involve the public school system.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Jungleman,

I don't even know you, but from your posts, I would feel confident that you could teach my kids good safe gun safety. Also think the idea of teaching gun safety classes appropriately to kids (i.e. matching the proper safety concepts with their level of maturity) is a great idea.

My point is - Don't allow it to be any part of the public school system! Don't let it get any where near liberal federal bureaucrats, PC school administrators and the teachers union.

Do it at the community/grassroots level DON'T involve the public school system.
Ray.I know where YOU are coming from on this issue, but read what I stated. It was all done in the Summer school holidays. It was myself that instructed the kids, I even did it on my days off so they all got to be involved. There were NO TEACHERS involved, and each kid had to get their parents written permission for their children to take part .It certainly wasn't done on an Ad Hoc basis.It was all done "By the Police". and was the best gun safety P.R. job my Force had ever done. It was even commented on in the National newspapers re it being a good initiative. I hope this clears the points in question up for you.

Jungleman.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #27

Ray. Read my latest posting on the Glock goes off in holster.
It may make more sense of what I have been stating re gun safety, and training by Police Officers, NOT teachers, or any budding Rambo.

Jungleman

Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Ray. Read my latest posting on the Glock goes off in holster.
It may make more sense of what I have been stating re gun safety, and training by Police Officers, NOT teachers, or any budding Rambo.

Jungleman

OK - Read it.

???

Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #29

I fully agree with the NRAs Eddie Eagle program. It's a simple comic book form and easy for the kidlets to understand. It also would provide a consistent message no matter who teaches it. Last time I checked NRA provided all materials for free.

That said every responsible gun owner must teach safety to all the kids they can. Secured arms (even if the kids are gone) is a must.

Thanks to all
Dash

Old 05-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #30

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is state law here in Wyoming. I must say I am afraid of left wing teachers using this to dumb down our kids. If you don't think so, look what they have done with American History. It is now American Hatefest.