Gun safety needs to be taught in schools: essay by 8th grader - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun safety needs to be taught in schools: essay by 8th grader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdeluxe1 View Post
I believe all aspects of basic martial instruction should be encouraged and compulsory at the primary and secondary education levels,as well as available at tertiary institutes.

Not only should it include basic weapons handling and procedure,but it should also include basic un-armed combat skills,survival skills,communications knowledge and drill.

It was compulsory at my school,so why not everywhere else where there is a high proportion of firearms-related incidents.
Where in the world did you go to school? China?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #12

This kid lives in AK? Isn't the ratio there like 7 guns to 1 man/woman/child? Gun saftey should be taught like "Stranger-Danger" there!

However I wouldent want them trying to do it here in AZ. Let me teach my kid that stuff and the teachers teach traditional stuff. Lats thing i want to think of is Ms. Wilson, 4th grade teacher, finishing up a lesson on Pro-nouns and then pulling out a pistol in a room of annoying children. The temptation would be too much. LOL

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #13

I went to Realschue Menden in Leipzig,Deutschesland!

But then I attended school in New Zealand,where it was compulsory,for senior students in country schools and at the country club!

Now that I'm 23 I realise the value and importance of all of that,especially since It made me fit,disciplined and able to enlist in the reserve forces.

NO,your wrong.When are people supposed to get proper firearms education,when they TURN 21 like in the US,where there are more domestic firearms related deaths than anywhere else in the Western world,or at a young age like in New Zealand.We have what....6 or 7 firearms deaths a year...and we can get a firearms license at 16.

Americas Child-Adult culture is pathetic,like it's stupid ****ing 21 drinking age.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #14

No,I mean something like the NRA offering basic handling courses once a term/semester.
And JROTC programs being compulsory,or Cadets in commonwealth countries.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #15

I encourage schools to make independent programs like JROTC more applicable and compulsory,as well as organizing school sports shooting teams.

At my school,we were organized into Cadet Platoons,then district Companies,then Regional Battalions and National Regiment(New Zealand).

Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #16

i full agree with you for this

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #17

That's good that you understand.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #18

My High School had it's own indoor range, and we competed at district and State level in both rifle and pistol marksmanship.

We shot .22 and .380 in pistol, and .22 and 7.62mm in rifle.
of course this was way back in the late seventies and early eighties Texas

Old 04-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
This is actually a good idea in most schools. In some school districts, this would be fatal. Like the Los Angeles Schools as I spent many years in.
Gangs would be trained in martial arts along with those who need it to survive. Using intimidation everyday to bully everybody else.
I learned martial arts in my freshman year only after getting my tail whipped almost everyday for 6 months. After using training when needed, the next 3 years went great. Because the gangs did not have it. That was the "edge" that this skinny white boy had. And word got around quickly.
As for the firearms training, my Father did that. But also taught the respect that is needed when owning a firearm. Could you imagine training school kids in safe handling ? All that would achieve is gang bangers not shooting themselves or fellow gang members. More innocent students taking bullets and the school district taught them how to be safer shooters.

This topic is a very sharp double edged sword IMO..
Thats a great point. Those with access to illegal weapons will be equipped, and use it the wrong way. At the same time, the need to stem accidental deaths is very important. The skills SHOULD be taught, look at Switzerland; when everyone is trained and armed, not too many robberies or violent crime with firearms.

I think the option should be available, or at least discussed more. The only thing kids learn about guns is Call of Duty (terrible influence) for the most part. Many are intimidated, when really they are just another tool that needs to be handled to use it properly.

Fixdeluxe1, your comment about Adult Child culture in America is absolutely right. I can be trained to kill and possibly die for my country, but I can't drink or owna handgun!?!? >

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #20

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Having a firearms safety course as an elective in schools would be a good idea. There are parents who will never allow anything related to firearms near their kids, and should be their right. But many times some parents either do not have adequate time or knowledge to teach their children and would like a professional to be able to teach them. I believe that the NRA maybe the source for the teaching sense they do so already and do it with an unbiased curriculum.

When I was growing up in Ca. some schools had marksmanship programs that taught gun safety. Though they got completely away from anything gun related around the middle to late 60’s maybe the early 70’s, some high schools still had them. I believe that with proper training at home we could reduce the amount of accidents with guns that we do see from time to time.

The problem is that not all children get gun safety at home nor do they get proper training. So schools would be an alternative, to lazy parents and or parents that have no knowledge to train their kid with.