Gun Safety - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dry Fire should only be done against a solid exterior wall or a sand bucket or other suitable backstop.

BigO01 : You and your friend are developing bad habits and it is not necessary . I hope no one here begins pointing guns because they "aren't loaded" just because he heard it on the Internet.
If you have not had formal training, buy a tape or take a course .

Jeff Cooper said, " Anyone who makes an issue of whether a gun is loaded or not is playing the fool . All guns are always loaded. Always. "

Rentacop

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
cbw

I'm not going to run off topic on dry firing -it's a good topic of itself. As far a pointing a gun at something or someone that I do not plan on causing harm or death to NEVER. As many have stated their fathers had ingrained gun safety into them. My father kept a loaded HP Browning 9MM on his nightstand at all times. There were four of us kids in the house and we all knew you did not touch the gun(s). We never did, now either my father was very lucky or he did an excellent job of teaching all of us respect for firearms. I taught my boys respect and have gun safes, is this a generational thing or is it because we did not smack the fear of death into them?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #33

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Of course, actually it pisses me off more than offends me. It pisses me off that anyone would be that stupid.

One day while on lunch break at a rural construction site, we were given permission by the homeowner to sight-in our shotguns for deer season. Opening day of gun season was about a week away and several of us had been working too much to have time to do it after work.

We drove in the homeowner's still rutted backyard and parked our pick-up trucks in a line with our tailgates facing downrange. We discovered that laying on the bedliner and using your range bag as a rest provides a pretty steady shooting platform.

After getting my guns out, I walked over to my bosses truck to see what he had brought to the range. He pulled a Pelican case out of the backseat of his truck and layed it on the ground. He told us what he had while popping the latches on the case. Then he pulled the gun out of it's case and while showing it off, covered everyone in the group (about 9 of us).

My supervisor, who is my bosses brother took the gun from him, put it in his truck and locked the doors. My boss was pissed that he didn't get to shoot with us but was told that if he was gonna be stupid then would never shoot with us again. He calmed down after a few minutes.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #34

If someone pointed an unloaded gun at Me I would spit on the barrel and make a suppository out of the gun.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #35

Default Gun Safety

Every, I repeat every gun is loaded. No exceptions allowed. You don't have to be an a**hole, but firm reminders and loss of range priviledges or other sanctions are called for.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #36

Default Gun Saftey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootSlowly View Post
Does it offend anyone else to have an unloaded gun pointed at them? I was taught that all guns whether loaded or not should not be pointed at people.
It not only offends me. But it makes me very mad. There is a good chance you may get smacked up side your head.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootSlowly View Post
Does it offend anyone else to have an unloaded gun pointed at them? I was taught that all guns whether loaded or not should not be pointed at people.
i personally had a buddy shot in the head with a .45 point black by his friend who took the clip out but still had one in the chamber..lucky he survived by inches but thats a true story on what could happen.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #38

It absolutely p!sses me off to have a gun pointed at me even if the slide or cylinder is wide open. I have kicked people off the firing line for that very thing.

"If you are a warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon,
then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today."

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #39

I've got into a face punching session over this.

As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil, for I am at 20,000ft and climbing.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #40

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Gentlemen-
Circumstances vary but it is unlikely that you are legally justified in punching a person who accidentally points a gun at you .
In general, the law expects you to resolve any situation with the minimum force necessary.
Most of these cases, in my estimation, can be handled by any of the following :
1) Moving out of the line of fire .
2) pushing the gun out of the way.
3) Grabbing the gun while pushing it out of the way and demanding it be handed over .
4) Verbal warning .
I hope no one reads these posts and thinks he has a legal right to clobber careless people . Imagine what a judge might say : " Sir, you assaulted and battered your friend to retaliate for his pointing an unloaded gun at you . You did not need to use force to defend yourself because the gun was not loaded and therefore you were in no danger . I order you to pay for his dental expenses and find you guilty of assault and battery . "
But your honor, Jeff Cooper said I was " authorized in taking that hard " !!!!

If I smacked every guy who pointed a gun at me, I'd be in more fights than Mike Tyson--and more legal trouble too .

Last edited by Rentacop; 11-04-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: left out line