Gun Safety - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Rules are made for a reason. To be followed for a reason. If ANYONE says it's okay to point a gun that is definitely not loaded at someone, even if they are lifelong best friends, super secret Delta/SEAL/SAS/CIA/ firearms instructor gun ninjas, I find it unacceptable. Is okay to drive when you're just a little drunk? Is it okay to cheat on your wife, just a little? And so on. When you start making exceptions to rules and bending them, eventually they break.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #22

From before I can remember my father ingrained gun safety into my being. I've had two friends point at me, and both of them came close to getting broken noses from the event (had I not been across the room, such would have happened).

I really don't know why people take that risk... I'll readily admit I'm a newb at guns, but seriously folks, pointing a gun at someone is comparable to cutting of a motorcyclist - both usually work out ok, but could end in tragedy.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

No one in this thread spent any time in the military, using their rifle for training? MILES, hand to hand, etc...

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootSlowly
Does it offend anyone else to have an unloaded gun pointed at them? I was taught that all guns whether loaded or not should not be pointed at people.
No is does not offend me it pisses me thehell off. A PVT in the army found out the hard way. We were in the field standing in the chow line when a new PVT was aiming at me with a mag in his weapon. I asked him to not do that as he could kill someone. He told me to f off and that i knew he didn't have any ammo as no one had ammo. I said with the mag in no blank adapter and a mag in the weapon I had no idea if it were not loaded or if it was. He muttered some profaine lauguage under his breath and did it again. At this time I did a butt stroke to the head movement with my rifle and knocked him out cold. After they woke him up and took both of us to the commander he was mad and wanted me thrown in jail for assult. I calimly explained to the CO that he had a mag in his weapon and the dust cover was closed and the safety was off. I had no idea weather he had ammo or not as you can go to walmart and buy 223 rem ammo and it will work. The CO said what I did was not right and I agreed with him then I added that I had asked the PVT not to point his weapon at me or anyone else. The he cussed at me and told me I knew he didn't have ammo. The PVT confirmed my story and the CO gave him an Article 15 and 15 days restriction and 15 days extra duty. He then told him that if he ever did anthing so stupid again he would lose one months pay and lose a rank if he had one to lose.

So no it does not offend me it really pisses me off.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootSlowly View Post
Does it offend anyone else to have an unloaded gun pointed at them? I was taught that all guns whether loaded or not should not be pointed at people.
Most of the time, yes. I've read all the previous replies to this post, and it looks like I'm somewhat of an outsider in this area.

In class, I would NEVER point a (real) gun at anybody. That's why I have blue guns/trainers.

So when is it ok with me to have a gun pointed at me? When I'm teaching a tactical course, and I have students executing tactical movements (ie. room clearing). Prior to the exercises, I inform the students they need to remove all ammo from all firearms, and secure the ammo in their vehicles. I have them line up with their bolts/breaches open, slides locked back, etc.. I visually inspect each weapon and magazine before doing my pat down of all pockets/mag pouches/etc. After another instructor goes behind me and verifies my checks by repeating what I did, we have the students ride bolts/slides forward onto a "bore flag". If a student leaves the training area for any reason or any length of time, they have to go through the process all over again... no exceptions. It's certainly not something we do casually or lightly. Even after all weapons have been deemed "safe" in our controlled enviornment, we don't allow the students to ease up and relax on their muzzle discipline. One of the main focuses of such exercises is getting guys used to working around other guys with guns... so they can engage a BG without shooting each other.

Been doing it in the military for YEARS... so, may the flogging now commence

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #26

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I totally agree with you, I was taught never to point a gun a something (or someone) you don't intend on destroying. I saw a video on Youtube of a guy and his buddy who went shooting in the woods. This guy's friend was taking a leak (he was on crutches) when the guy shot him in the ass with a 12 gauge shotgun from about 15 feet. The guy on crutches almost fell down as he arched his back and looked skyward in pain. I posted a comment that said, "Your lucky that wasn't me you shot cause I would have shot you with my pistol. That is unaccectable." He sent a message back to me that basically said I was stupid and that he had only shot him with the shot wad. What a dumbass, I told him that it's this kind of irresponsible "gun play" that makes people want to ban guns. Am I right or wrong???

Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I told him that it's this kind of irresponsible "gun play" that makes people want to ban guns. Am I right or wrong???
You're certainly not wrong! Playing with guns is stupid. Guess he doesn't care about his friends. Pretty soon I'd think he won't have any. Oh, and he'd probably be dead if he did it to me too.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #28

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Yeah, I heard about a war reenactor a few years ago that was killed when someone pointed a dueling pistol at him and fired. It wasn't loaded with a ball but it was loaded with the powder charge and the muzzle blast was enough to kill him.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Am I offended? Not sure that is the right word. Discomfited for sure. Yes, military training- hand to hand, bayonet, tactics, MILES- yes- UNDER HEAVILY CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES. In a LEO training environment, blue guns (before there were blue guns, we used revolvers that had failed a tech inspection, firing pins removed by armorer, and grips painted RED) Have just finished coaching another starting shooter (grandaughter, started at 11) and her first lessons included 1. All guns are laoded until YOU have checked them. 2. Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy.

And besides.... it's bad manners to point.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Umm....Yup.

And not just "pointed". I am anal about sweeps, and consciously avoid ever letting a barrel line up with a human, regardless of the status of the weapon. Cleaning is a different story, but only WRT me. It's not hard to do, and considering the potential, well worth the effort. A little attention is all it takes.