Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun and Children in the House

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

@JCD: I would like to weigh in as I am basically on the same page. My daughter is now a year and half old and exploring everything within her reach. Right now my setup is this:

My main safe is a keypad Stack-On safe thats fairly wide and heavy, capacity for about 10 pistols. It sits hidden on a high shelf in my basement, a place she never goes because its dark and dirty down there.

My other bedside safe is a small keypad safe that sits on the top shelf of my closet, hidden by clothes, about 6 feet from my bed where its virtually impossible for her to climb because there's no way to get up there. Now that she also is walking, I keep the gun inside that safe at when I go to bed, unlocked with the door shut, and never keep a round chambered (its a Glock). I figure as of right now I have these layers of protection that allows me to keep her away from it, but its easily accessed by me if need be. Hope that helps. My system will surely change in the next 1-2 years as she gets older, bigger, and smarter, but for now its perfect for me.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Okay guys, my son is finally walking and my wife and I have started discussing where to keep our home defense gun. Currently it is on the top shelf in the closet where he can not reach but with his curiosity growing we would like to purchase a safe of some kind. Any suggestions from parents or gun owners on what to get or do? Do we get a key safe or combination safe?
Get a double action pistol/revolver, place a standard paddle lock in the trigger guard BEHIND the trigger and it can't be fired and it is safe to leave it loaded. If you want to go one step further, place an "I" bolt in the bedroom closet and lock the loaded gun there (behind the garments) and keep a key handy (hidden in a pocket at the very end of the closest) and if you hear something go bump in the night and you can be armed in about 10 to 20 seconds. Not to mention it conceals it from burglars.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 01-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 155 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

Get a double action pistol/revolver, place a standard paddle lock in the trigger guard BEHIND the trigger and it can't be fired and it is safe to leave it loaded. If you want to go one step further, place an "I" bolt in the bedroom closet and lock the loaded gun there (behind the garments) and keep a key handy (hidden in a pocket at the very end of the closest) and if you hear something go bump in the night and you can be armed in about 10 to 20 seconds. Not to mention it conceals it from burglars.
Seems like good advice. Stack on makes a "safe" that sits flush with the wall and can be hidden behind clothes. It has a keyed lock.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have been teaching this method for securing a loaded gun for MANY years. It is a very inexpensive way to 'kid proof' your guns, but more important is, when they get old enough, is to 'gun proof' your kids!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 965 Times on 493 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Read this post.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/guns-kids-80416/

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

I have one of these http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html attached to my headboard. I highly recommend that you get the plug-in power supply and use the battery as a back-up (that's what I did). This thing works very well and I can operate it in the dark, once open it has a light inside. Be sure to mount it solidly wherever it is going to live. It is also important to operate it and practice with it while laying in bed as you would be in the middle of the night. I practiced with it for a couple of months before I figured out all of the things I might do in the fog of sleep. Try to open it with your off hand? Doesn't work for me. I am not ambidextrous. I have to use my right hand, which means I have to roll out of bed and sit on the edge to operate it (I sleep on the right hand side of the bed, viewed as I am lying in it).

Since both your wife and you will be relying on the same safe, you may want to put it in the center.

And also heed the advice of others here. Start the gun safety training as soon as your child becomes self-aware and use the Eddie Eagle "Stop. Stay Away. Get an Adult" model until they are ready to start transitioning to the Rules of Firearms Handling in preparation for actually handling firearms.

In our house the boys were trained from Day One to handle all guns, toy or otherwise, just like they would eventually handle real guns. Some people think this is extreme, but it has worked very well for our family. No shooting each other with dart guns or airsof guns, none of that. The closest thing they have done to "playing" with guns was to play laser tag. They have never fired paintballs either, and they don't miss it. They got to use real guns and shoot real bullets instead. Much more fun (those little paintballs make great targets for the .22!).

They were allowed to use water guns and shoot each other, but we always got them the kind that looked like toys, not the ones that look like a colorful plastic firearm.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #17

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

Honestly I think the best thing to do is teach him gun safety. I have a 6 year old little sister and if you hand her a firearm the first thing she does is check her self and ask if it's loaded. Her finger has never touched a trigger as she's never fired a weapon, only handled. You will never catch her with the mussel pointed at herself or anyone with a weapon she KNOWS is unloaded and safe. My 13 year old sister is the same way but she has fired every gun I own under close supervision. I feel it's better to teach them and let them ask questions rather than try to find out on their own when your gone

Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Honestly I think the best thing to do is teach him gun safety. I have a 6 year old little sister and if you hand her a firearm the first thing she does is check her self and ask if it's loaded. Her finger has never touched a trigger as she's never fired a weapon, only handled. You will never catch her with the mussel pointed at herself or anyone with a weapon she KNOWS is unloaded and safe. My 13 year old sister is the same way but she has fired every gun I own under close supervision. I feel it's better to teach them and let them ask questions rather than try to find out on their own when your gone
That is what I said, "Gun proof your kids"!
But be very careful if there are 'other' kids who frequent your home as well!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7338 Times on 4254 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Both teaching your kids about safe firearms handling and securing your firearms from access by unauthorized persons (including those same children at least until they have been trained in how to shoot them) are both critical practices. Do both.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Agreed ^^^^^^^^