Gun and Children in the House
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Gun and Children in the House

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Gun and Children in the House

Okay guys, my son is finally walking and my wife and I have started discussing where to keep our home defense gun. Currently it is on the top shelf in the closet where he can not reach but with his curiosity growing we would like to purchase a safe of some kind. Any suggestions from parents or gun owners on what to get or do? Do we get a key safe or combination safe?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

The best you can afford! Keyed can be had for as little as $30. I bought a model that can be combination or biometric for $100 or $120 I can't remember. It's about 11×14.

forumrunner_20130122_085214.jpg

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #3

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390
Okay guys, my son is finally walking and my wife and I have started discussing where to keep our home defense gun. Currently it is on the top shelf in the closet where he can not reach but with his curiosity growing we would like to purchase a safe of some kind. Any suggestions from parents or gun owners on what to get or do? Do we get a key safe or combination safe?
The safe I use is a key pad that I purchased at Sportsmans. The safe is large enough to hold four large handguns.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I bought a small drawer safe from sportsmans for around $50. It's perfect for my home defense gun. Has a combination lock and also a hidden key access.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My biggest concern about a safe is my wife trying to open a combination lock or key access during an actual breakin. Anyone else have this same concern?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
My biggest concern about a safe is my wife trying to open a combination lock or key access during an actual breakin. Anyone else have this same concern?
It only takes about a second and a half to punch in the key code.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7179 Times on 4321 Posts
Likes Given: 8762

Browse here. There is all kinds of information on gun safes and even a few older threads on children and gun safety in the home.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

Liked 144 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You are correct. No point having a gun locked in the safe at night if you cant get to it should someone break in.

I use a safe during the day for anything I am not carrying. At night I have a hidden holster attached to the bed frame. The bedroom is locked at night and the first thing I do every morning when I get up is put the gun back in the safe unless I am carrying it.

I have thought about getting one of the combination cases that attach to the side of the nightstand just as an added safety measure instead of the holster.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
The biometric (fingerprint) models can be programed with multiple finger prints, and work in the dark.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
The advise given as far about these safes are about the best you can do until someone figures out the next best thing. (I like combo safes: keypad) Nothing to worry about though, just show her how to use it, make sure she understands how it works, and practice a few times, she'll be good to go in no time (from personal experience)...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 01-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.