Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Good practice gun for amateurs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good practice gun for amateurs?

I got to use a friends airsoft gun lately and liked it so much I want to get one now. Not sure of what brand or type I should get so I went here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

First off welcome! Hop on over to the introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself.

As for a good first gun, I think the general consensus around here is to find a range near you that rents guns and try some out. What is good for me might not be good for you and vice versa. Also if you are new to firearms I would recommend taking a safe handling class before you start, most ranges offer them. Once again, welcome!

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was an airsoft guy for about 4 years, it's great for basics, working on drills at home, and thing that like. The great thing about it is you can get a CO2 or green gas version that acts like the read deal the slide will go back after a shot and lock back, mags are cheaper and ammo and gas can be a lot cheaper then actual rounds. They make them in pretty much every major type like glock, 1911, sig sauer... etc. It can also help with trigger control, sight picture, esp home defense drills.

Airsoft Guns - Airsoft Atlanta retailer of specialty airsoft gear
this is the place I use to get all my stuff from

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/
This is the forum, most of them know what their talking about, a good number of them are kids...

This is one of those cases where the japonese make the better stuff considering they pretty much made the sport what it is

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #4

my first gun was a single shot stevens .22 that I got for my 10th birthday . after proving to my dad that I could saftely handle a rifle I got a little ranger single action .22 revolver for christmas later that year. I agree that a first gun should be a .22 but if you're a grown man you're going to be bored of a single shot after about 20 minutes so I would say get something that holds a few rounds and if it's an auto don't buy the cheapest POS you can find.

Buy something that you can keep forever. I still own my stevens .22 but the little ranger was taken by the police when my dad got a dui about 15 years ago. I've been trying to find another one for years with no success

Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor12 View Post
a "keep forever" .22 costs a lot more than they are worth to a lot of people these days. the 1022 and most others feature aluminum receivers, the grit in the priming compound causes the bolt to get sloppy fitting as to its relationship to the barrel's rear end in 10,000 rds or so, causing misfires. 10,000 rds is just a year or 2 of shooting for a lot of people. A Weatherby mark XXII is probably $800, for instance. that is one reason I say to forget the .22 rifle, get a $150 .22lr conversion unit for a fighting rifle, or get good enough with the .22 pistol that you can hunt with it, effectively.
WHAT?
This post is filled with so much fail that I don't even know where to start.
I've shot 10-22's that have had so many rounds put threw them that there's little to no riffling left in the barrel and they still don't misfire. A sloppy fitting bolt will for the most part keep a riffle from misfiring. that's why AK's don't misfire and AR's do.

I do agree that a fighting riffle with a 22lr conversion would be great for a newb..............they would definitely learn how to clean a gun with that set up LOL

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

I have .22's older than I am and they still shoot great. My 10/22 was made in 1976 and still shoots no matter how cheap the bullets I use.. I have a Winchester from the 30's thats still a nice shooter and very accurate. I also own a Weatherby MK XXII, although the Weatherby is made nicer, the 10/22 can hold its own...